Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epic walk yesterday! My husband does not like going for walks. Last evening was so gorgeous that we had to take advantage. He agreed to walk with me with the horses! I expected to lead both horses, as he is not a horse-guy. He offered to lead a horse! Of course, I gave him Midnight as she is so easy. We walked 1/4 mile to neighbor and chatted in the driveway. He kept saying, "she heels just like a dog!" As we were chatting, she wanted to get close to two full-size mares in their paddock. She went all mareish (if you know what I mean)--it was the first time I had ever seen her do such a thing. Luckily the neighbor was the horse owner; we were both mystified why Midnight did that.
Anyway, lovely walk and we enjoyed the evening outdoors. And I will mark the event on the calendar--his first walk with a horse.

My sister came out and we were going to drive, but it's overcast and a few sprinkles so we were afraid to take the chance. I had asked her to come out because I need to drive Midnight but she is so sassy lately I was uncomfortable taking her by myself. So we ended up putting them on the golf cart. At the mile, she suggested walking back with Dapper Dan so I could take Midnight farther, since Midnight was still feeling sassy. So my sister and Dapper Dan headed for home and I took Midnight at a fast trot for another mile. We caught up with the walkers and headed for home.
Some sprinkles on us; we might have made the drive but I didn't want to get my cart wet.
Midnight has no meanness; she just has little tantrums. My sister and I talked about why we don't do the things we used to do. We blame it on age.
Yesterday I made both horses go through their ground routines. Midnight had to do her little squeally noises but she loves working. Her favorite is the teeter totter. She gets on it by herself to play. Now I have her rocking on it. Dapper Dan does not like the teeter. Only a treat will persuade him to do it. Midnight is bowing more nicely now. I wish I were motivated to work with them every day. They love doing it; Midnight is a natural show off and would really benefit from play training.

I would love to see a video of Midnight rocking on the teeter totter! I bet that is really cute 💕

Ive been ground driving Breezy a whole bunch lately but I haven’t been good at keeping track. I wear skirts all summer long and have no where to keep my phone while I’m ground driving him, no pockets and it’s too hot to wear the Fanny pack 😝

I would love to see a video of Midnight rocking on the teeter totter! I bet that is really cute 💕

Ive been ground driving Breezy a whole bunch lately but I haven’t been good at keeping track. I wear skirts all summer long and have no where to keep my phone while I’m ground driving him, no pockets and it’s too hot to wear the Fanny pack 😝
Some of my skirts have no pockets either. grrr. Ought to be a law against making a garment that doesn't have pockets! I made a bag to hang around my neck to carry my phone. It could be a cross body.

2 miles with Midnight this morning. On the way out she needed some cueing to stay up with me. On the way back, I used the whip like a windshield wiper in front of her to keep her focused beside me. She did get startled one time when a small armadillo came out of the grass and onto the road by us. We watched it for a few minutes until it went back into the tall grass. Also saw a bull snake in the road.
Pretty hot and humid weather coming up this week so I'm glad we went early.

I'd like to hear more about the show. Big horses also?
Oh boy! Yes big horses! Peanut was the smallest one there. He gets so flustered when the big ones get up behind him and he can't see them. He gets all balled up with energy and will "Spanish walk." I have to constantly keep an eye on the other entries near the in-gate and other congested areas so he doesn't get crowded. I suppose when you're that little among the big ones it's understandable. He wasn't on his best behavior yesterday 😆 but we had so much fun and he won a couple of ribbons which made me proud of him.

Attachments

• peanutnbarh2022june.JPG
    peanutnbarh2022june.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 9
You two look wonderful together and Peanut is a darling, very pretty.

Love the black trim on your hat and the turquoise pendant. Very snazzy!

Hope you showed off those ribbons to anyone and everyone you could! There is a time to be humble and modest and then there is a time to be … not! 🤣

Latest posts

Back