Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two miles with both Dapper Dan and Midnight. It's a challenge taking both, but hey! we all needed the exercise. Trying to keep those two in the Jenny Craig lot all day, but it's tough.

Since we are out for exercise and not exactly a training time, what are your thoughts about asking the ponies to keep pace with me, instead of me trying to pace myself to them?

I walked Midnight today. Only about a mile but we worked on Stand, too. Interestingly, on the way home she spooked at something imaginary. When we got to the driveway, my husband was chain sawing up a large limb that fell in the storm last night. Midnight did not mind at all standing close to the chain saw at work. The tractor was also parked there. One just never knows what will bother them.

YAY!!! I was actually able to take Prince out for a short walk without Farah (older Arabian mare) totally losing it!
She called after him a few times at the gate then ran back to Kazoo (mini mule)....normally I can hear her running back and forth and calling for him. When we got back she was standing next to Kazoo, I did hear her call him once when I was opening the gate...I think she knew he was back.
Probably wasn't the best day to try it since it's pretty windy so he was a bit on edge...but, I wanted to start getting him and everyone used to him being taken out as soon as possible....especially since he and Kazoo seem to be getting attached already.
For the first time he exhibited a bit of buddy sour behavior, not too bad...just looking back and a little whinny, but, something he's never done before.
We didn't go too far, I was planning on 1/2 mile, but with the wind, traffic, dogs, flapping flags, I decided not to press my luck. So we did between 1/4 and 1/2 mile....he was actually pretty good considering the wind and how long it's been since he has been out. We worked on voice commands and he did really well, especially with "whoa" (which is the most important one 😄).

You and your herd did great Capriole! A walk always sounds so simple but then nature, neighbors, and flotsam and jetsum show up to make things interesting. ;)

Kazoo must be starting to feel at home. He looks so alert and I bet he learns quickly!

Silver City, love your question! 🤣 It was, thankfully a small bush, and he was able to straighten up and continue on, thank heavens! 😂 I wonder if he had a beer later with his buds and talked about the crazy huge horses that came out of nowhere?🤣

Not really, that's just about as far as we can go on the trails we have and I'm trying to keep us both slim. Also, I have to cram it all in when I have the chance, my work schedule and the rest of life doesn't allow me a lot of horsey time right now. :)

You'll get there by September! It doesn't take too long to build up especially if you can get out there a few times a week. I don't run, just for the sake of it, as a rule, but I was surprised to find how far I could actually jog without keeling over after doing a lot of brisk walking for many months.

Latest posts

Back