Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took baby Dusty for a 2km ride on Apaché up to some blackberry brambles. We are just introducing the bit to Apaché now so he wore his bridle with no reins attached and chomped on the bit as we went... slowly getting more used to how it feels. It’s a hot dry day today so we gave Apaché a wash afterwards, which he HATES! he dances around and is generally difficult to wash properly! I do best by filling a big tub with suds and water and submerging his whole tail into it... No photos, sadly.

Feb 10
BIG training day for Thunder today!! Walked and ground drove him for probably about half a mile or so.

Dont laugh too hard at my travois… but here he is with it on. It is a broom stick and mop stick handle 🤣🤣 the white plastic piping (you can see in the background) was way too big and too heavy for him, so I rigged up this little contraption instead….🤣🤣
18719010-8CFB-4622-96C7-7DC7D09362EC.jpeg

He did sooooo good… do you know how tempting it was to put the cart on him… very tempting! So I did and he didn’t really care about that either…
FE8176C0-DA86-41E4-B156-80E70154DBC2.jpeg

I just placed the cart in the loops, didn’t fully hook him, just in case I needed to get it off fast. I will probably fully hook him up tomorrow. I walked him all around with the cart attached like this and he did great!!

Bit training was probably the hardest for him today. He didn’t understand why he had to have that god awful thing in his mouth. I ground drove him with that mean ole bit and by the time we were finished, he still didn’t like it 🤣🤣 I might try a different bit tomorrow or it just might feel extra weird to him because of his monkey mouth. We will figure it out and I know he’ll eventually get use to it.
27CC4179-896C-47FC-A94E-6CC327B03E9D.jpeg

Could you clarify, “laughing too hard”….….🤣😂 ? Seriously, Thunder looks wonderful and very at home in his rig! I think you were very ingenious in creating such a gentle set up!👍👍

Would you consider driving Thunder in a bitless bridle type gear? Maybe someone here drives without a bit and can share!

Walked Jaci for the first time out of the paddock. I think this is the forth time I've haltered her and ask her to follow me around. I was trying to make it fun because last time she got her hooves trimmed. And it was her first trim standing like a grown horse. She did wonderful. Her other trims were her in my husbands lap. 😁 I'm going say we walked about 1/10th of a mile, but Jaci went further if you count her dancing around and trying to run when my Doberman came running around the corner. She wanted nothing to do with him, so he got put in a long down while I walked her on the gravel in front of the barn and then back to the paddock. I sat and talked with her for a little while before I turned her loose.

Walked Jaci for the first time out of the paddock. I think this is the forth time I've haltered her and ask her to follow me around. I was trying to make it fun because last time she got her hooves trimmed. And it was her first trim standing like a grown horse. She did wonderful. Her other trims were her in my husbands lap. 😁 I'm going say we walked about 1/10th of a mile, but Jaci went further if you count her dancing around and trying to run when my Doberman came running around the corner. She wanted nothing to do with him, so he got put in a long down while I walked her on the gravel in front of the barn and then back to the paddock. I sat and talked with her for a little while before I turned her loose.
I good day for her and you :)

Feb 11
Ground drove Thunder about half a mile fully hitched up to the cart. He did amazing! Didn’t use his bridle or bit, I only used his halter and he liked that so much better.💕💕

It’s so hard. I’ll go see Apaché shortly and was just wondering about putting the bridle on today... I think we will skip a day too...

4.5km. Apaché and I went for a walk to explore some other streets around his area. I just put him in his rope halter and we had fun looking at all the houses and deciding which one we liked best! I thought this one looked really interesting and had this gigantic expanse of flat lawn that just seemed wasted! Seems like a lot of people in this area have huge empty paddocks and oversized lawns... I see wasted fodder and a lot of mowing everywhere!! Get ponies people! or goats!!

Attachments

• 0BB4E591-A801-42AF-A2E3-8FD1B5D54BDA.jpeg
    0BB4E591-A801-42AF-A2E3-8FD1B5D54BDA.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6A9675BD-3E34-4671-9B43-D8AA7EA625E7.jpeg
    6A9675BD-3E34-4671-9B43-D8AA7EA625E7.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 8DEAD1DC-3B46-4C4B-B138-22D8A4DA200A.jpeg
    8DEAD1DC-3B46-4C4B-B138-22D8A4DA200A.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 7
4.5km. Apaché and I went for a walk to explore some other streets around his area. I just put him in his rope halter and we had fun looking at all the houses and deciding which one we liked best! I thought this one looked really interesting and had this gigantic expanse of flat lawn that just seemed wasted! Seems like a lot of people in this area have huge empty paddocks and oversized lawns... I see wasted fodder and a lot of mowing everywhere!! Get ponies people! or goats!!
It is interesting to see the different kinds of fencing in other areas. Those are lovely properties.

Latest posts

Back