Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are all making tracks....little hoof tracks across America and points beyond.ā˜ŗ

Took Madelaine, donkey, for a short walk. 1/4 mile. My goal with Maddie is go a bit farther than ā€œlast timeā€ but be back home before she decides itā€™s been enough.šŸ¤£

Donkeys do seem to learn differently from the horses, in my little experience. Madelaine is very intelligent but seems to need more time to think things!

You are all making tracks....little hoof tracks across America and points beyond.ā˜ŗ

Took Madelaine, donkey, for a short walk. 1/4 mile. My goal with Maddie is go a bit farther than ā€œlast timeā€ but be back home before she decides itā€™s been enough.šŸ¤£

Donkeys do seem to learn differently from the horses, in my little experience. Madelaine is very intelligent but seems to need more time to think things!
That is a long walk for a donkey--she did good! I'd love to hear more about your adventures with Madelaine. I still toy with the idea of acquiring a donkey, but am not sure I have the right home for one.

Thank you, Marsha! I feel better about our slow walk! ā˜ŗ

Iā€™d love to share about Madelaine and learn from all of you how to do better with her!

Iā€™ll start a new thread and maybe some more experienced donkey owners will jump in for us!

Walked with Dapper Dan two miles this morning before the wind got up so badly. I was thinking of hooking him to the sulky for a drive but he was a little sweaty just from the walk, so we'll do it another day. Our temperatures have been higher than normal, which would usually make it nice to play outside, but the wind has been horrible.

Walked 1.5 miles with Rocko. We have had really stormy weather and today there was a few hour break from the rain. It was pretty windy and Rocko's head was on a swivel looking for danger everywhere. Same road he drives down all the time, but noises and wind and the neighbor's crazy dogs, and traffic at the main road had him on edge the whole time. We came back home and I put him in the round pen and he lunged himself and did all the jumps until he got his energy/anxiety out and was back to his old self. Then we did a short session of standing on the grass without eating training. I highly recommend Mindy's video on how to do that if you have a grass snatching issue.

Yes, he did, poor thing. You didn't miss it, it didn't post about it because I was pretty upset. WARNING: DON'T READ IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH. He started with a sinus infection in August and in cleared up with antibiotics but recurred twice and x-rays showed a mass in his sinus so last week he went for a CT scan and surgery. They had to do a "bone flap" surgery where they make a trap door in the bone to get to the sinus. They remove a granuloma which is an over growth of tissue that grows from being inflammed. The pus was impressive šŸ¤¢ according to the vet. He had a catheter inserted in his forehead so they could flush the sinus for several days. He's home now and doing pretty good. His stitches and staples come out monday or tuesday.
I have a photo of what he looked like after surgery if anyone wants to see it.

An older horse in our area needed that surgery. Vet drained the pus. I think it was caused by a bad tooth. Owner decided not to opt for the surgery due to the age of the horse and physical problems (and cost). Vet said it is the worst smelling pus on the planet. What do they think caused Cappy's problem? Sometimes it just happens, I was told.
Sounds like the good news was no cancer and it is fixable. So good you were alert and had a good vet to help him. It may have been harder on you than on Cappy.

They are not sure what caused it, Marsha. It may have been dental related, but the CT scan showed no real tooth issues. And a dentist didn't find anything. And yes, it did stink! My whole barn reeked when he had the first infection.
I let him out for the first time this morning, I was nervous. I put on his fly mask because I knew he'd roll. He had so much fun rolling and running
:D. His first time out in 10 days except for hand walks.

Latest posts

Back