Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do minis need shoes?

I've never seen a mini with traditional metal horse shoes, but many people use "boots" to protect their feet and/or give them traction when they are out and about.
The average mini may never need them, unless you work your mini on rocky terrain, pavement, or asphalt.

Last edited:
2 miles for Rowan today. First time off property in a while due to my time constraints but after an initial small temper tantrum (tiny bucking bronco) over not being allowed to mow his way along the entire walk, he did very well. We even saw big horses being ridden, who were way more worried about Rowan than he was about them, although they did distract him from his tantrum which was nice. ;)

For some reason I thought my horses needed to be right beside me on a walk. Mindy's way of walking on a long line lit a light bulb for me. Walking two horses is too difficult for me to keep them so controlled, so today I tried letting them go the end of the lead. This was on a paved road with no grass. It was so much easier for all of us. I don't think it would work on a grassy road very well, but I might try it. Maybe being more relaxed will be better for all three of us.
Do minis need shoes on roads

The month of June didn't go well for my family. My dad was diagnosed with brain cancer then the very next day had a grand mal seizure which landed him in the ER. I packed up the ponies and drove the 5 hours to my mom's that day. I was gone for 3 weeks as I helped my mom care for my dad during his last days. Then I stayed one more week to help her get things settled and cleaned up. We did manage to go on a few hikes after my dad had passed. It was our way of celebrating his life. He was a great outdoors man who loved the mountains and hiking and biking.

My miles didn't add up to much in June but July is looking a bit better. Though now we are drowning in smoke so that will put a bit of a damper on our long hikes. I still have great plans for lots of mountain time with the boys. I am looking forward to that for sure.

Photos below are from one of our hikes...

View attachment 44045
View attachment 44046
So sorry to hear of your loss x

Munchkin is a lot more golden than my friend's palamino filly. Hers is almost white and she is hoping hers will darken.

There is an interesting thread on here from 2008 titled:
Do palominos get darker with age?
Do they darken as they get older?

Do minis need shoes on roads

I think it depends on the mini, and what you're doing on roads. If you're just going down a paved road for a short distance at a walk, probably not. If you're trotting for long periods of time on pavement or gravel, then they'll probably need protection of some kind. I would argue that boots are better - both because they give more cushioning and can be removed when you don't need them (i.e. most of the time), and it can be hard to find a farrier to shoe a mini.

I think it depends on the mini, and what you're doing on roads. If you're just going down a paved road for a short distance at a walk, probably not. If you're trotting for long periods of time on pavement or gravel, then they'll probably need protection of some kind. I would argue that boots are better - both because they give more cushioning and can be removed when you don't need them (i.e. most of the time), and it can be hard to find a farrier to shoe a mini.
Would an hour or two every day be OK on roads in Ireland? Just walking slowly as I have an arthritic hip. Can foals be walked daily?

I would think if it's walking only that should be fine, just keep an eye on their feet and make sure that they aren't wearing down too much or wearing really unevenly. I think walking would be good for the foal on balance, just make sure you build them up to more time/distance!

I agree with Abby. You will be able to see if there are any problems by checking his feet. I regularly pick my horses feet so I keep on top of things. Two of mine have really tough feet and no problems on any surface, but one has feet that chip and crack very easily so I got him some boots and I brush on a hoof conditioner. So just keep an eye on him and have fun on your walks!

I would think if it's walking only that should be fine, just keep an eye on their feet and make sure that they aren't wearing down too much or wearing really unevenly. I think walking would be good for the foal on balance, just make sure you build them up to more time/distance!
Thank you 😊

I agree with Abby. You will be able to see if there are any problems by checking his feet. I regularly pick my horses feet so I keep on top of things. Two of mine have really tough feet and no problems on any surface, but one has feet that chip and crack very easily so I got him some boots and I brush on a hoof conditioner. So just keep an eye on him and have fun on your walks!
Thank you 😊

Latest posts

Back