Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The three of us went 3 miles today. My sister brought her little one and the new lady with her new little one, Munchkin. Munchkin was taken from a pasture without much handling. He was a scary little thing, low on the totem pole. She has had him for 2 months, working with a Parelli instructor. He has come a long way in his new life. Today he wore the back pack for the first time and carried the water and OFF. First time for girth and crupper, and he did fine with them. Also first time wearing all four Easy Boots. He was a good little trooper. She has motivated my sister and myself to walk in new places, because having a little horse is new to her.
Today they came to my place. It is not very exciting out here, but it was new to them. The picture is of Munchkin wearing a saddle pack.
She is trying to find one online and having trouble. I suggested she search goat packing, and she might find one in a small size. I gave her this one, as I am not using it. Munchkin.jpg

They both look like “old” pros! Ditto Willow Flats and Cayuse....pretty little guy! He looks bonded with his new partner....lots of fun ahead for both!

Marsha, your place looks great to walk! You have hills and a lovely wide dirt road! :) Our part of the world is pretty, but flat, very little in the way of anything remotely like a hill.

Munchkin is a lot more golden than my friend's palamino filly. Hers is almost white and she is hoping hers will darken.

There is an interesting thread on here from 2008 titled:
Do palominos get darker with age?

Munchkin is a lot more golden than my friend's palamino filly. Hers is almost white and she is hoping hers will darken.

There is an interesting thread on here from 2008 titled:
Do palominos get darker with age?
Thanks for the headsup on that old thread. The consensus is: some do and some don't and some lighten as they age!
She'll just have to wait and see on Munchkin.

1/2 mile with Tinker and 1/2 mile with DD. We’ve not been hiking the past few weeks and it feels good to hit the road. No rain, very hazy due to smoke moving down from Canada, and some huge annoying horse flies! I think they escaped from Jurassic Park!

1/2 mile with Tinker and 1/2 mile with DD. We’ve not been hiking the past few weeks and it feels good to hit the road. No rain, very hazy due to smoke moving down from Canada, and some huge annoying horse flies! I think they escaped from Jurassic Park!
My horse thinks tiny flies are vampire bats. Not sure he could handle Jurassic flies. I hate the smell of smoke; when we were so dry here several years ago with many grass fires around, the smell of smoke always made us anxious. I didn't know there were fires inn Canada.

1 1/2 hour today as we went to the elevator for weighing. Dapper Dan was the same but Midnight was down. Yay!
My sister takes her big horse, Winslow, along as she is monitoring his weight per vet instruction. Usually he walks along quietly with her miniature mare, Jackie O. Today he bit Jackie (!) and by some mysterious body language totally scared her. She would not walk beside him. Finally, Munchkin's owner took Jackie and she walked fine with Munchkin. If we tried to put those two close to each other, Jackie was too scared of Winslow. We were all mystified at what had happened to cause this, as Jackie and Winslow are not penned together and only see each other on our walks. We humans could not really perceive any significant threatening body language from Winslow. But Jackie did.
My two were their usual ornery selves, but settled down and did fine.

Horses definitely have their own language don’t they? It sounds like a successful trip with no vampire bats. 😄

Not having lived in a fire zone of any kind, I can only imagine the strain of living within striking distance of large fires. It has to be both exhausting and terrifying.

1 1/2 hour today as we went to the elevator for weighing. Dapper Dan was the same but Midnight was down. Yay!
My sister takes her big horse, Winslow, along as she is monitoring his weight per vet instruction. Usually he walks along quietly with her miniature mare, Jackie O. Today he bit Jackie (!) and by some mysterious body language totally scared her. She would not walk beside him. Finally, Munchkin's owner took Jackie and she walked fine with Munchkin. If we tried to put those two close to each other, Jackie was too scared of Winslow. We were all mystified at what had happened to cause this, as Jackie and Winslow are not penned together and only see each other on our walks. We humans could not really perceive any significant threatening body language from Winslow. But Jackie did.
My two were their usual ornery selves, but settled down and did fine.
Congrats on Midnight's weight drop.
If I was Jackie and Winslow bit me I'd give him a wide berth too! Mine can give the other the slightest glance and the receiving horse will skedaddle! Lol

Latest posts

Back