Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love hiking with Rowan but I can definitely imagine it being really, really difficult to deal with two of him at once! Maybe if I were leading them and we were on roads or something but on the trails with grass, water crossings, and he has strong enough opinions about stuff sometimes - imagining two with DIFFERING strong opinions...I can see how it could be tough!

I think if I were to do it I'd be inclined to drive or ground-drive them as a team! Seems like it would be simpler if they were attached to one another somehow. 🤣

I use to walk and hike with my 2 biggies together all the time, so a couple of minis is no problem for me LOL LOL. Im trying to walk ALL 4 of my little boys together at one time, but we haven’t been as successful as I would like to be as of yet, but I am VERY optimistic. I was able to walk 3 of them successfully but when I got the 4th last year he threw a wrench in things 🤣 Breezy is still a baby, so I’m hopeful once he matures a little that I will be able to walk all 4 at the same time. That would be sooooo AWESOME!!!

Have you seen the Emma Massingale videos? They are sooooo coooool and very inspiring!!

Maybe I should get a hover board and keep them moving???!! 🥳

Yes! Yes! Yes! I’m gonna try this soon, I’ll post up once I buy all the equipment that I need. Emma Massingale has 6 ponies, so I should be able to do this with ONLY 4, right??? My pics and video may or may not include a hover board though… With my luck I’d fall FLAT on my face 🤣 😂 😝

Last edited:
2 miles with Dapper Dan and Midnight this morning. They are difficult because their gaits are so disparate. Dapper Dan is older and Midnight is young. They each view life differently.
We saw some cows today, which was good for Midnight.
I used to walk three at a time. Usually I attached the lead rope to the halter of one of them. This can be challenging.

I have been getting in some nice long walks with my boys lately! Yesterday we did 6 miles. It's so beautiful up where we walk and I feel so blessed that we can get there straight from our driveway!
IMG_8715.jpg
I also love walking both of the boys. They each walk at the end of their 10' long lead ropes, one on each side of me. Sometimes they walk in front of me and sometimes they walk beside me and sometimes they walk behind me. I really have no hard and fast rules aside from:
1) they don't drag me, either when in front or when behind
2) they don't argue
3) they don't try to eat. I decide when they get to graze and I feel I am very liberal with grazing breaks. LOL!

They are good boys. This is such a great way to start driving ponies. They really begin to understand walking and trotting on command. I use the word Whoa as well so Oliver is learning the basics without even realizing it!

5/30 - .3 miles for Squirt and Magic. They had had their hooves done the day before and Magic acted a little sore (she had slight thrush), so we kept it short.

6/3 .63 miles for Squirt and Magic. :) Had a neighbor drive past us on the road, they slowed down but still were going faster than I'd have liked.....both didn't even blink an eye!! 😃 Our track below.
Image-1.png

MerMaeve you’re so artistic on your walks! Love your photo Mindy! Spectacular scenery.

No walks for us lately. Hubby broke three ribs about 10 days ago and cracked two vertebrae when moving furniture for his elderly (93) mother, and a heavy bookcase tipped over. So while I actually have a lot of miles recently they are the old fashioned kind - by car! 🤣

I enjoyed catching up on your progress and hope to rejoin you soon!

MerMaeve you’re so artistic on your walks! Love your photo Mindy! Spectacular scenery.

No walks for us lately. Hubby broke three ribs about 10 days ago and cracked two vertebrae when moving furniture for his elderly (93) mother, and a heavy bookcase tipped over. So while I actually have a lot of miles recently they are the old fashioned kind - by car! 🤣

I enjoyed catching up on your progress and hope to rejoin you soon!
LOL, thanks! It was totally unintentional.

Geez, your husband took a battering! Did the bookcase tip over onto him? :oops:

I use to walk and hike with my 2 biggies together all the time, so a couple of minis is no problem for me LOL LOL. Im trying to walk ALL 4 of my little boys together at one time, but we haven’t been as successful as I would like to be as of yet, but I am VERY optimistic. I was able to walk 3 of them successfully but when I got the 4th last year he threw a wrench in things 🤣 Breezy is still a baby, so I’m hopeful once he matures a little that I will be able to walk all 4 at the same time. That would be sooooo AWESOME!!!

Have you seen the Emma Massingale videos? They are sooooo coooool and very inspiring!!

Maybe I should get a hover board and keep them moving???!! 🥳

Oh. My. Gosh! How inspiring. What does she have on their feet? It looks like more than mere boots.

Oh. My. Gosh! How inspiring. What does she have on their feet? It looks like more than mere boots.
Emma uses Cavallo boots on her ponies. I have not had any success with this brand of boot. They are big and clunky and fly off my ponies. Not to mention we walk straight through the soles in 10 miles or less. They just don't seem to hold up for us!

We had a lovely 4.5 mile hike with my friend, Carol Gessell, today.

Everything was going so nicely. The sun was shining and hot but we were lucky enough to walk in the shade. As we climbed the trail and gained some elevation the wind also started to pick up. The trees were blowing a bit.

We discussed if we should turn around or go a little further. We decided to go a bit further. As I turned and walked a bit further I heard an odd sound from one of the trees along the trail. I passed it. Then Carol and Sky came alongside it and we BOTH heard a weird and horrible sound... the tree started to fall over!!! Carol starting running towards me and I just stood there, I think with my mouth wide open, as the tree crashed across the trail right behind us! I swear to God, I almost saw Carol smashed and impaled by a huge falling tree. Her life flashed before my eyes.
😩

We decided to turn around then and there. God’s voice couldn’t have been louder!

The tree was so big we were able to lead the ponies right under it after breaking a bunch of the branches. Zorro had to squat a bit but he made it!

Crazy. The walk back down the to truck and trailer was lovely ;)
IMG_8818.JPG

Latest posts

Back