Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10/17 .6+
10/18 .6+
10/19 .4 (there were some stressful incidents that day...for both of us o_O😆...so, just took a short walk)
10/20 .8
10/21 worked in the round pen and took a short walk...mainly to work on responsiveness...he's been slacking a bit lately, but, then I've been letting him ...soooo...I guess it's on me 🤔.

Two miles with Dapper Dan and Billy. I am planning a hike as soon as the rattlesnakes den up. I'd like to backpack a lunch and rest in a pretty spot. Not sure how to secure the horse (s). If I just take one of them I can be pretty sure he will stay close to me. Something as simple as a tent stake would likely work.

Wed. 10/26. Worked in the round pen, then walked around the property (about.25 mile) working on desensitizing him to me tripping and falling (recently found out that really freaked him out...never even thought about that before)
Thurs. 10/27 .7 mile
Fri. 10/38 Same as Wed.
I love the pic. My mini freaked out also when I fell. It was when I tried getting up that was the issue. We are working on that. I can't pop up like I use do :)

October 29: Tinker. 1.5 miles. Gorgeous Fall day.

Marsha, ”Rattlesnakes den up..” ? I will no longer, ever, whine about the flies or mosquitoes! 🤣 I love your goal and hope you do send a photo when the time comes!

I will have to try that falling/getting up thing with Billy.
Gorgeous days here also; grooming took up a lot of time. And that silly puppy is a trial. Sleep deprivation! I walked Dapper Dan yesterday for a mile. Billy got plenty of exercise running up and down the property being left behind.

About 2 miles with Rowan today, ground driving in the bridle and carrying my driving whip so I could practice lines + whip. He's super reactive to the whip and so, Capriole and HM, I discovered that tripping over a root with the whip in my hand is not appreciated! Even though I don't think it even touched him, it waved around too much for his taste and I got a nice big scoot which then of course caused me to stagger some more. We also worked on walk UP because he tends to sort of meander along at the walk.

That falling and getting up thing is going around, I fell with Oatie last week in the mud and with Cappy this weekend just because my feet thought it would be fun to take a side trip. I am going to pat myself on the back because I "did not let go the the pony" either time. It was installed in to me at a young age to "never ever LET GO of the pony, EVER!!!"
30 minutes for Oatie :)

Can I ask all of you for some help (no, I did not fall down again :))?
Since the year is winding down I am going to order a little award (it will be a surprise) for each of us that participated for a good part of the year in the walking/hiking thread and the driving thread. I have 14 in total including myself. Participants that I have are as follows.
MajorClem
Marsha
Mindy Schroeder who without we would not have a walking/hiking thread :) and I's sure she must be driving and hiking
Kelly
HersheyMint
MaryFlora
Capriole
AbbyP
DragonHill
WillowFlats (where you been willow???)
MerMaeve
Marn4
Kimbalina
Me
If any of you have a spare minute could you browse the thread and make sure I'm not missing anyone? Pretty sure I didn't but I don't want to forget anyone. Thanks! Laurie

Last edited:
That falling and getting up thing is going around, I fell with Oatie last week in the mud and with Cappy this weekend just because my feet thought it would be fun to take a side trip. I am going to pat myself on the back because I "did not let go the the pony" either time. It was installed in to me at a young age to "never ever LET GO of the pony, EVER!!!"
30 minutes for Oatie :)
Oh, I'm glad you are ok from your side trip. :) A pat on the back from me to you as I also was told never let go!! I seem to have the falling down part nailed! It's the getting up that's scary for me and Mint.😂 I don't like the sitting on the ground while hanging out with them but counting on it working if I / or when I fall again.

Last edited:
Can I ask all of you for some help (no, I did not fall down again :))?
Since the year is winding down I am going to order a little award (it will be a surprise) for each of us that participated for a good part of the year in the walking/hiking thread and the driving thread. I have 14 in total including myself. Participants that I have are as follows.
MajorClem
Marsha
Mindy Schroeder who without we would not have a walking/hiking thread :) and I's sure she must be driving and hiking
Kelly
HersheyMint
MaryFlora
Capriole
AbbyP
DragonHill
WillowFlats (where you been willow???)
MerMaeve
Marn4
Kimbalina
Me
If any of you have a spare minute could you browse the thread and make sure I'm not missing anyone? Pretty sure I didn't but I don't want to forget anyone. Thanks! Laurie
Hey, your list looks good. There are a lot of walking going on :)

I would just like to contribute that due to the "don't let go of the pony" philosophy, I once broke a pinkie finger, when I fell off my horse and didn't let go of the reins quickly enough. So - while a loose pony isn't a good thing, neither is losing a digit or getting dragged. Stay safe! And BTW, my silly horse ran about 100 feet, realized I wasn't with him any more, and came running back, practically dancing from foot to foot, like, "get back ON, don't you know there is a scary thing RIGHT THERE? We have to escape!"

I like your list also. :)

I would just like to contribute that due to the "don't let go of the pony" philosophy, I once broke a pinkie finger, when I fell off my horse and didn't let go of the reins quickly enough. So - while a loose pony isn't a good thing, neither is losing a digit or getting dragged. Stay safe! And BTW, my silly horse ran about 100 feet, realized I wasn't with him any more, and came running back, practically dancing from foot to foot, like, "get back ON, don't you know there is a scary thing RIGHT THERE? We have to escape!"

I like your list also. :)
I love the reaction of your horse, not that you broke your pinky :( 😉

Latest posts

Back