Wahl vs. Andis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I have a set of Laube Speed Feed clippers, which I loved, but have been having issues with as of late. They quit holding a charge like they once did, so I bought new batteries. No luck there. Bought new blades, still no improvement. I used to be able to get them sharpened, but the man who did them died and the guy who took his place cannot do it w/o breaking them. On top of that, the tack shops around here have stopped carrying the blades. So... I decided to buy some new clippers!

I was looking at the Wahl Arcos, which look very similar to the Laubes. They use the same type of blades, so I am afraid of running into the same issues. I came across the Andis Super AGR+ clippers today. I was told that they are top of the line and the clippers of choice among dog groomers
default_unsure.png
I like that they can be resharpened and that I will not have problems finding replacement blades. I don't like that you have to have multiple blades for different lengths, I love the adjustable blades on the Wahls and Laubes (I have been spoiled by them
default_wink.png
).

I use them for faces, legs, touch-ups on the body, and grooming my dog. I'm curious how they all compare. The Laubes gave a beautiful even clip when they worked well, and I want to make sure that whatever I end up with will give me the same results.

Thanks!

Jessica

I've had a few of the andis adjustable clippers, they make a beautiful clip at #30, they tend to vibrate to 30 w/out you knowing about it, so I can only attest to their performance at that length
default_wacko.png

I have the Wahls, used them for the first time today. I was going to sell them for the laube comparables because they cut faster, but ended up keeping them.

They are great for doing heads, legs, and body touchups. They stay charged for longer than the hour (the package says each battery lasts 1 hr)

Very light weight (compared to my double K's atleast) and easy on the arm/hand.

I dont think they would take off a winter coat or go through thick matted fur.

I'm going to use them for heads, legs and touchups. DoubleK's for body, but they are so bulky and the cord gets in my way.

My favorite clippers by far are my Double K's, however, before I got them, my only clippers were my Andis AGC Super 2-Speed clippers, and they did a good job. I still use them to do heads and like them very much!

Haven't used Andis so I can't help you there, but I have - and love - my Laubes! They are the only cordless clippers I've ever owned that had enough jiuce to actually clip through more than fine hair. The blades are interchangeable with my Double K's too. I used to have some Wahl adjustable blade clippers, great clippers too until they died and I couldn't revive them lol. They didn't have the power of the Laubes though.

Jan

I have the Andis that take the A5 blades. I love them. I have been clipping horses for others ans my clippers don't skip a beat. The set I have are 3 years old now with no repair.

I love my Andis Super AGR + rechargable clippers with the ceramic blade. I use them on my dogs and horses, they charge fast, cut nice and the blade seems to stay sharp for a long time. Since I started putting them away clean and lubricated with WD-40 rather than clipper oil I have been even more pleased with them every time I use them. I also haven't had problems with hotspots or clipper burn on my dogs since I started using them. Hot days and cool nights here so I clipped necks on my horses today without bathing first and they did a nice smooth job.

I had the chance to hold both in my hands today, and decided to go with the Andis. Although they are louder and heavier, they seem sturdier, like they will hold up longer. The Wahls did remind me a lot of my Laubes, and I am sure that they too would have been a good choice, but they had a few design features I was not fond of and I think the Andis will last me a little longer, fingers crossed!!! Thank you all for your feedback.

I have to say that my Andis clippers have taken a beating and kept on ticking.

I have had my Andis clippers for over 8 years now. (WOW thats a long time eek)

They have been serviced once at the cost of $15 bucks. (I had them knocked out of my hands and they smashed on the floor and broke a stupid little plastic piece inside them they were still working just making noise so I took them in and he fixed them)

And with them I have done hundreds of body clips over those 8 years as well as multiple fix up clips and then the final "SHOW" clips. Used them to trim that and this and just about anything else you can POSSIBLY think about using them on.

And as of today they are STILL going strong.

They use A5 heads.

And I just got a set of Double K clippers to do my BULK clips and Dirty clips with so my Andis ones will be lasting even longer doing legs and heads. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANDIS!!!!.

Back