Volunteering in New Orleans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyMinis

Reaction score
I am taking two weeks leave from work and volunteering in New Orleans. They need volunteer with horse experience to care for the hundreds of horses they have rescued. I won't actually be in New Orleans (I don't think) but based out of Tylertown, MS.

Conditions are still bad there. They don't have electricity or water where the horses are being housed. Facilities are: bring a tent and water, food enough to eat while you are there. Here is the press release from one of the organizations which are coordinating the volunteer effort.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sept. 9, 2005

Despite the heroic efforts of volunteers and animal groups from both Louisiana and around the country, time is running out for the animals trapped in New Orleans, after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. Help is desperately required to rescue animals trapped in the flooded ruins of New Orleans or roaming the streets in hungry packs. We need volunteers and boats.

Muttshack Animal Rescue says help is also urgently required to care for the hundreds of animals rescued and located in shelters with no power or running water. The following supplies are needed immediately at the Gonzales Shelter located at 9093 St. Landry Rd., Gonzales, LA, 70737. Please email our volunteer coordinator Sharon Gorski at [email protected] to coordinate delivery of items. Boats are still needed for search and rescues and can be delivered to the same address. Visit www.muttshack.com for more information and make donations at https://www.registrationfactory.com/v3/?EventUUID=B47421FD

Wow! I am glad you get to go to help!
aktion033.gif
Thoughts are with you !

aktion033.gif
Good for you! I am personally very proud of you for doing this! Give those horses lots and lots of extra hugs, and let them know that us folks here at L'il Beginnings are doing our best to help them by raising money to send to help them out!!
yes.gif

Bless your heart for helping these animals in need.
aktion033.gif
Be very careful while you are there, and if it gets to be too much it's okay for you to walk away. I can only imagine how hard this will be on you mentally as well as physically. Keep us posted, we will be praying for you and the animals.
pray.gif
pray.gif

This IS WONDERFUL OF YOU! THREE CHEERS! our section of our office (5 of us) had a small bake sale yesterday and today at work and made over $70 yesterday alone. not sure which group it will go to but it is for animals for hurricane relief! jennifer
saludando.gif

Well.. if there is one thing I am qualified to do it's shovel.... manure. Can you imagine how much 300 horses are going to produce?
smile.gif

I will be working at the Lamar-Dixon Expo center. I just got the confirmation letter and contact information. Hopefully no one will shoot at me.
new_shocked.gif

Thank you so much for coming down here and volunteering.
aktion033.gif

Don't worry, there have been no problems in Gonzales that I know of (and I am only 20 min away
smile.gif
). On that note, if you need anything, even just someone to talk to, I am close by. I wish I could get out there, but we are working at trying to deal with the families (especially the kids) displaced by this storm.

If you need anything, please let me know. I will PM you my phone number.

Cindy that is a great thing you are doing. Bless you for taking the time to help.

aktion033.gif
Bless you and wishing you a safe journey
smile.gif
I'm on call for our agency but we had such an overwhelming amount of volunteers it may be a while, if ever, they decide to send me. FAA is trying to get those closest to the affected states to go first.

Latest posts

Back