Vitamins / Supplements to help shed and have healthier coat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StardustandBreezysMom

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any vitamins or supplements that can help with healthier coats and encourage spring shedding? I live in the Northeast and have two mini's. One sheds wonderfully and has a beautiful coat and does not require major clippings, while the other keeps all her hair until July and has a duller coat? Could vitamins/supplements help?

I think SmartPak has a coat supplement to help with a shinier coat. You could also try getting flax seeds and grinding your own in a coffee grinder to be more economical.

I really like stabilized ground flax, the one from Omega Fields. My horses have lovely shiny coats, good hoof quality, and have shed off more quickly and efficiently now that they have been on it for a good long time. I find the Omega Fields to be the most cost-efficient and easiest to use for my circumstances; I still order mine direct from Omega Fields, even though it is now with dealers around the country. I do get the largest available bag size(50 lbs.),even though I have only 4 minis, because properly stored, it DOES last a long time. It might be different in more humid areas of the country, though.

Margo in NM

Biotin (B7) with the increase of L Lysine intake to boost protein synthesis. L Lysine is a limiting amino acid, so the body can only synthesis protein up the limit of Lysine in circulation. Increase protein synthesis and you increase the amount of hair and hoof production. Biotin is the most common in aiding keratin production. I have a sweet block that I get from my feed store that contains biotin and a grain that contains L lysine.

I graduate in a year with a bachelors in Pre Vet and Animal Science

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground flax seed is great
default_yes.gif

The big horse (quarter horses etc.) supplements, good worming and brush, curry and brush again... daily.

Latest posts

Back