Videos of show classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Okay, I know I am not posting a video, but I am looking for a good set of videos on youtube, a website, a facebook post or something online of the show classes. I have no idea what they are looking for and reading through the AMHA rule book is making me really confused. I need to see it in action!! Thanks in advance....
default_xkngt.gif

For driving, I recommend the driving video put out by AMHA showing what the judges look for in each of the different driving classes. I think you have to contact AMHA to get it.

Thank you targetsmom! (Love your profile pic by the way
default_yes.gif
) That will be a great start even though it will be a while before we do that. He is only 9 months right now, so I am looking for color class, junior Stallion, and halter because I think that is all he can go in :)

I have this driving video from AMHA and it is great. I wish they would do the same with the other classes. So it would be more easier to understand for us newbies what to do and what NOT to do, what is allowed and what isn't...

Thanks! Not exactly videos, but some of the bigger AMHA shows (and maybe others) are shown on-line. Watch for banner ads, pinned notices or check Mare Stare to see if they have any lined up. Of course, even better would be to go watch a show in person and ask questions when people aren't busy.

Halter will be the hardest and you might want to search on the forum here for pointers. You can hand set the feet, but getting the horse to show to its best advantage is not easy. Plus there are lots of different ways to do it! Halter and Junior stallion means the same thing - junior stallion is just the halter class he will be going in. If you are an Amateur, you could go in both open and Ammy classes, but they will run the same way.

In some color classes all you do is walk around in a big circle, but in most you also have to set the horse up. They won't check teeth or movement though, so lots easier than halter.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to add: are there any novice classes at the shows you plan to attend? The Clubs in this area all offer them in various ways and they can be a huge help for newbies. For one thing, the judges will at least know you are new to showing and will often give you pointers after the class. One club has "mentored beginner" classes where an experienced person actually goes into the ring WITH you and can offer advice (but not touch the horse). For example, they can tell you if the horse is set up properly, or which foot to move, when the judge is coming, and just offer moral support.

Latest posts

Back