Vetwrap on hooves when visiting places

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipsMom

Reaction score
Yesterday I had an occasion to take my smallest mini up into a rehabilitation facility to visist a sweet girlfriend of mine who is in her 9th month of recovery from an accident this year. Anyway, I'm passing this tidbit along because it worked well and perhaps some of you will be visiting centers, nursing homes or schools during the upcoming holiday's. She told me to wrap his hooves heavy in vetwrap so that he would have traction on the slick floors. I did and it worked like a charm!
yes.gif
I would also offer to wait and put it on just before you get to the entrance because it can "walk off" on the parking lot.

I'd love to post a photo but it wouldn't be correct to do that to my friend who is doing much better still looks like a person in recovery.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

That's great, they are so good at making the day look brighter. If I do that I will be sure to try your idea of the vetwrap.

I had a complete potty pail but did not have to use it. In a 4 quart bucket I had several plastic Walmart bags, a roll of paper towells and a small bottle of lemon/water mix. Like so many centers today they encourage animals of kind to come visist and in residence there are many cages of birds.

Glad to learn it can be done sans hoofwear! My friend, a horse woman, is the one who thought it would best for my little guy to have some traction on his hooves.

This friend has been through heck and lived to tell about it, no exaggartion. She was in a complete coma for 3 months and has been "awake" for 6 months. The progress she has made is mixture of modern medicine, hope and faith. Her eye for detail and cognitive skills are now such that she even commented on the inside of my little mini's ears. He is a black and white pinto but the inside of his ears are the color of coffee w/ a lot of cream in it. His ears are that way year round. She hopes to regain limited use of her most damaged side.

Last edited by a moderator:
SkipsMom said:
She told me to wrap his hooves heavy in vetwrap so that he would have traction on the slick floors.  I did and it worked like a charm! 
yes.gif
  I would also offer to wait and put it on just before you get to the entrance because it can "walk off" on the parking lot.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

504860[/snapback]

I use Vetrap exclusively and you can change the colors for the seasons. The residents love when Mercy changes her "slipper" colors. It is a lot less expensive than the little sneakers - cute but I do not spend the amount of money for a pair of my own shoes for what they get for one sneaker!

If you are on carpet, maybe you can get away with "bare feet" but I would never run the risk of having a horse slip, scramble and fall on linoleum - he/she may not be able to get traction to get up! If we are inside, the slippers are on.

Just my two cents....

Denise

Silversong Farm

Great idea!!!!!

What do you do if you horse has to relieve himself/herself while in the hospital?Maybe a driving bag beneath their tail???

Thanks for posting that idea. The kids love to take their minis to Petsmart. last year, wasn't a good thing, because we almost had to carry Tonto to see Santa.. Santa was on green astro turff, so when we got to that area, he was okay, but after you get off the welcome mat, it's all slick floor.

Your idea is great, now we can take Silver for his Xmas photos this year! I'd love to do the nursing home thing, but that's gonna have to wait for spring.

God Bless,

Lynn W

Latest posts

Back