Vets update on Oliver Twist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
well..talked to the Vet and he said Olivers condition/birth defect was NOT related to being a LWO foal.....not that I am happy he had a defect which raises more questions but am relieved he was not a lethal baby also. I WILL get my stallion tested first tho as this is something noone wants to expereince. Thank you all again for such kind words on his passing.

kathye

I was sorry to read about him but I want to thank you for posting as it helps newbies like me to learn more.

I think you are very brave. You did the right thing.

Maria

Kathye --

I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I think sometimes things just happen -- a one in a million chance, and can't ever find the fault. Your foals this year have been so nice to look at and you should feel proud of them, and of doing the right thing by Oliver.

Jill

default_crybaby.gif
Thank you for the update, but I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you.

Sadly "stuff happens" in the developmental process. One of my stallions - we found out after the fact - had a developmental problem. His intestine was complete, but something in the way it was formed allowed it to torsion easily and we wound up in colic surgery late in his yearling year. The vet was able to stitch it up and create some adhesions - which he said would either work for him or would do him in. In this case it worked, he's 10 this year and has good healthy babies out there. The vet initially suggested putting him down but was creative and such a skilled surgeon.....we owe a lot to him. I guess my point is that I wonder how many of these issues are out there and go undetected depending on the severity. Your colt unfortunately was unable to survive his, but I'd guess there are many with less extensive abnormalities who live - or who die young for unknown reasons.

Jan

Latest posts

Back