Vet was here for ultrasounds today!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Out of 3 mares, I have 2 mares for sure bred, one at about 60 days and the other around 35 days
default_aktion033.gif
The 3rd mare I figure should be around 37 days or 12, she came into a short heat after being bred the first cycle. He could not see anything on her, but said if she took on the 2nd heat, we would not be able to see it quite yet. First time I got to see an ultrasound be done and it was neat. My vets here do not normally tend to miniatures, and the one mare that I am unsure if she is in foal and due anytime (if she is in foal), he tried to palpate her and he said she was too small for him to go any further to feel. So he did a blood test and we should have that by the beginning of next week. When is the best time for them to see in the early stages of pregnancy? I am planning on having him come back to do the other mare that may be around 12 days along?

I have been told that the earliest is at 16 days. But, I would think waiting a few more days after that would be a good idea.

Peggy

I just wanted to say Congratulations on the new foals that will be coming in the future.

I don't know anything about bloodtest or I would try to help.

wc minis -Congrats on your two confirmed! I will be looking for your results!
default_aktion033.gif

For ultra sound, if they are good they can do it at 30 days, but I have always been told to wait to 60 days to be sure. Plus the longer you wait the more likely they wont have to go inside to do it.

They can see an embryonic sac quite early if they are skilled.

But the embryo is not visible until about 21 days.

There are specific characteristics of the foal until they are 60 days old that will help the veterinarian tell the age of the foal. This is most useful for determining the foaling date.

After 60 days the foal gets quite large and all the the sac will not be visible on the screen if they are using a rectal probe.

By 90 days the foal drops over the pelvic rim and you cannot see the foal for about a month until it gets large enough to see fetal parts.

I use the machine from EI Medical with the mini probe and have picked up a pregnancy at 9 days; it looks like an equal sign "=". I usually wait until about 18 days and they are very easy to pick up at that point. If you ultrasound at about 20 days they either show a pregnancy or a nice sized ovary ready to start breeding. My machine has a caliper to determine the age up to 45days. We like to check our mares every 30 days or so until Sep or Oct so we know what to expect in the spring.

Rick

Latest posts

Back