Vet recommended "Settle" for mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
I just got back from the Vet's office (which is an hour away). -- I bought 2 mares last year that were supposed to be "bred". One mare looked like she must have reabsorbed or aborted within a week or two of getting her. I saw her discharge a clear but tinged slimy mucous several times and have diarrhea. I called the breeder I had purchased her from who said she had done that the previous year but went on to foal fine. I had a stallion break in to get to her when she came into heat last fall, but I never actually saw him cover her. The second mare was supposed to be bred but never looked pregnant and then this spring, obviously not pregnant. I put them both in the pasture with a stallion early this spring but could never tell that they came into heat.

So, I finally took them this morning to the only large animal vet in the area which is an hour away. They did ultrasounds and found nothing abnormal. They suggested that maybe the "timing" was just off. I asked if they could please do a culture to check for infection. She tried, but could not get one of my mare's cervix to open. I mentioned maybe flushing them. The vet suggested we try "Settle" (a shot) to clear out any infection and promote or boost the repro. system. She said the company that manufacures the shot even has a guarantee. But, they happen to be out of it in the office. Do any of you know or use this product? Sorry so long!
default_blush.png

Its a new product, I know very little about it. There is evidence published/supported/sponcered by the manufacturer that says it does improve the chances when the mare has the problem its designed to treat. If its not that one reason, it won't help. I think there are other options to try first, including hand breeding with good sanitation, or even artificial insemination. Then I'd do a culture/cytology. I would not jump to Settle just yet.

I'd also ask if you've bred this particular combination before. Have you gotten foals before out of these mares without trouble? Have you gotten foals by this particular stallion? And have you bred those mares to that stallion successfully before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a new product, I know very little about it. There is evidence published/supported/sponcered by the manufacturer that says it does improve the chances when the mare has the problem its designed to treat. If its not that one reason, it won't help. I think there are other options to try first, including hand breeding with good sanitation, or even artificial insemination. Then I'd do a culture/cytology. I would not jump to Settle just yet.
I'd also ask if you've bred this particular combination before. Have you gotten foals before out of these mares without trouble? Have you gotten foals by this particular stallion? And have you bred those mares to that stallion successfully before?
Yes, I was very unimpressed with this vet, but where I live I do not have many choices. I was hoping the vet could offer a real plan to find the root of the problem(s).

One of the mares has had a foal every year up until now, the other mare aborted a foal last year with the previous breeder along with at least 2 other mares that I know of. I did not find this out until after I had purchased her and driven 10 hours to get her. I had specifically asked the breeder if she had ever been bred or had been one of her mares who had aborted, and the breeder said no. Then this same breeder let it slip later that this mare had. I had a foal this spring from the stallion I was using for these mares.

I have used Settle on one of my mares. It was successful getting her in foal and her carrying the foal full term. This mare had a biopsy that came back that she had inflamation in her uterus and she had a 20% chance of carrying a foal full term in the conditions she was in. I was told if we could clear up the inflamation she would have a better chance of getting bred and carrying full term. Since this was one of my best mares I decided to give the Settle a try, along with uterine flushes, SMZ's and a Caslick . It worked and the mare became in foal. She carried to term, but had complications during labor. Her calcium became real low and she was unable to have contractions. We were able to save the foal, but the mare sadly didn't make it. I regret my decision I made to use Settle. I feel I messed with nature, a little too much. This is just my personal opinion of course.

We have used it.

It does work.

I would try it, but like everything in reproduction. Timing is everything

Latest posts

Back