Vet checkups, are they needed annually?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
My minis all have great health. I vaccinate and worm them. Don't need teeth done for another year. Do they need checkups? Do you have them checked annually? I called a few places and I am getting the impression that most people around here don't call the vet out unless something is wrong. I don't want to really pay the vet to just listen to their heart and then tell me everything is just fine.

I have never gotten my horses checked annually. I do my own deworming and vaccinating, and I will very readily call the vet out if I need something done, but don't do a routine, annual exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im the same , apart from Vaccinating , i have the vet vaccinate mine
default_smile.png

I don't do annual check ups either, but I also haven't really vaccinated mine. What do you guys vaccinate for if you don't mind me asking? Mine nevee leave my place so I haven't been vaccinating but I feel I should be

WinchesterGirl basic vaccs are a good thing. I like to know that everyone has a tetanus shot for example in case someone gets hurt. Mostly basic vaccs can be bought online or at Tractor Supply/Farm n fleet and given yourself to save the money from the vet coming out. It's what we have done for years.

I do keep some epinephrine (sp?)here in case of big reactions when I was vaccinating youngsters or horses

that had not been vaccinated before. Never once had a problem but do believe it is possible to be "surprised".

Some research is starting to show that we over vaccinate our animals. (For example if a rabies shot is good for 3 years on a dog, why give it yearly on a horse) I got a big lecture from my vet about "over worming" and creating "resistant worms" so I keep it regular but not quite so often.

basic vacc for example if we are not showing or traveling, not much traffic on or off the farm is

a 4 way Eastern, western, tetanus and flu.

Some folks like to do West Nile, I never have,

I'm not breeding any more, so that eliminates some also.

I also don't do annual checkups. I will have their teeth checked annually (just whenever someone else is having the vet out for some reason) and will have him do a fecal for worming reasons, but other than that, I do my own vaccinations and if something doesn't seem right I will call right away
default_smile.png

I have always vaccinated mine for WNV, EWT and used to do rhino too when I was breeding. The WNV is from mosquitoes, not from other horses.

I don't do annual check ups either, but I also haven't really vaccinated mine. What do you guys vaccinate for if you don't mind me asking? Mine nevee leave my place so I haven't been vaccinating but I feel I should be
There is no one answer as different parts of the country may be prone to different types of diseases. Best to check with your vet or talk to your county Ag Extension Agent to determine what would be best for your region. But regardless, make sure they get an annual tetanus (usually included in the combo vaccines). *Note* There is some research that says annual tetanus is not really necessary but without doing a titer, you would not know if your horse is still protected. I do all my own vaccinations, worming, etc, and have my horses checked annually by an equine dentist (not a vet - very few have had in-depth dental training) but I do not do any type of vet checks unless hauling to a show, which requires a current Coggins and Health Cert - and the health cert is good for only 30 days.

Just offering a different opinion here- mainly for anyone reading this thread who does not have a lot of experience with horses and an in depth understanding of horse health care. I absolutely agree that if you have experience and keep informed about new research, you can take care of all the normal stuff and just call out a vet in an emergency or when you need him/her. But I also think that having a relationship with a vet that knows you and knows your horse is a really helpful thing. I think it is like doctors for people- I probably could get away with not having a regular check-up or bloodwork and just go to a random doctor that I barely knew if I had a health problem, but I am very thankful that because I have insurance, I don't have to go that route.

I have only one horse and an excellent vet who specializes in horses and in dental work, so it makes sense for me to have him out regularly. Yes, I could do shots by myself, but a good vet will do so much more than just quickly look over your horse and give a few vaccinations. I actually have the vet do two check-ups a year. In the spring, he gets an annual exam with shots and bloodwork, and a fecal test. In the fall he gets an exam, fecal, and teeth, along with any other vaccinations or bloodwork that needs to be done. I don't have to guess about what kind of de-worming schedule I need, and whether it is working. I know what is going on metabolically, and can make better decisions about his diet and management. I can ask questions, even if they seem minor. And, this is a big thing, if I have a question about anything, I know that I can call my vet and get his advice whenever I need it. I know he'll show up if there's a problem, since I am a longtime client. I can trust his advice, which I think is invaluable.

We also do our own worming/vaccinations and only have our vet come when there's a problem.

Talk to your vet about what basic vaccines he/she recommends for your area.

Max's Mom made a good point about establishing a relationship with a vet. We've lived in 3 different

areas in Oregon and each time we've "shopped" for a vet that we felt comfortable with. Our vets have

all taught us a lot over the years, and because we have come to know each other, they know that when

we call them it's not routine, but important. If you haven't found a vet yet, don't be shy about getting

recommendations from other horse owners and then going and visiting with him or her....Perhaps

making an appointment with them to give some shots to get things rolling? But no, an annual check-up

isn't necessary for healthy horses, IMO.

Back