Very protective mare and now unfriendly filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite all my efforts to handle mom and her new filly, I just cant seem to get the filly friendly! I imprint, and handle all my foals daily, but this is the first time I have ever had a mare not let me handle the baby!

She is a new mare for us, but she is a fantastic mother. (she tried stealing the other foals!) What do I do?

Any advice on how I can befriend this new filly??

Thanks, Shan

Have you tied the mare up while you are working with the foal? It's not being mean, its just being the human in the picture.

Sometimes you just have to tie the mom so you can love on the baby......... This is good for both. It teaches mom that you aren't going to hurt her foal. It teaches baby that you give strokes and scritches.
default_biggrin.png

Once the foal is weaned, they learn where the food source is, but it's good to have them appreciate you BEFORE then.......and not just for their meals.

Have you tied the mare up while you are working with the foal? It's not being mean, its just being the human in the picture.
You know... I have tried tying her up... Tied her outside the stall and in the stall with her... but she just throws a major fit and is very vocal to her baby.

It seems like she is making her baby crazy!

LOL

I truly have never had a mare like this, so its a new experience for me
default_smile.png

Shan

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is the baby? Most of my mares are very protective for about 2-3 weeks. Then hormone levels drop and usually mom lets baby socialize with humans and other foals and baby starts getting interested in humans too. It may be just give the mom some room to love on her foal and wait her out. I don't socialize with my foals much until they get mom's approval to get curious with me. Usually by then the mare is glad to have someone else in the picture and a little peace and quiet to graze. Even the most terrible mares and foals always come around.

I would say tie her up and keep trying. Maybe put some food in front of her and keep the baby close to her sight for her own comfort.

You know, she's so unruley! I'll just come pick her up and take her off your hands! I like the crazy ones!!!
default_biggrin.png

See that's the human side of us - we think they are going to go crazy being tied up. But obviously she wasn't tied much as a youngster. Just bear through the tying up of the mare. But I do agree with the other poster, Suzie - if it is just a few days old, you might want to back off a bit until mom is more settled. Then do your socializing.

From experience, my foals are two ways, its not the mommies who won't allow me to socialize. Some of my babies don't want anything to do with humans. I have had two in the past 4 years that didn't want anything to do with me. Not until they turned about 18 months old. Then they were pocket babies. One is now 3 and she is the first to come running up to me when I go out in the pasture.

Aren't horses fun!

I have one mare that is sweet and gentle when she does not have a foal, but after she foals, she doesn't want anything to do with you. She keeps the baby away and her babies are never friendly,,, UNTIL they are weaned. After weaning they gentle down just like the mother when she doesn't have a foal.

I too am going through the same thing. It is driving me crazy. I truely believe once they are weaned they will come around. I tried tying and talk about stressing everyone out! Mine is 3 wks old and she is starting to get curious. Keep us posted.

Thanks Everyone...
default_smile.png

Im glad Im not the only one who has a naughty mare or baby...

The filly is 3 weeks old, and the mom is a wonderful mare when there is no baby with her... But watch out when she has a foal at her side.

I just hate it when I cant grab the babies and love on them. It makes me feel bad when they back and kick at me.

Guess weaning time will tell us if she will become friendly.

I have a little gelding, who was the same way when he was a baby, but he has still never become really friendly
default_no.gif

Shan

Latest posts

Back