Very nervous now. I cam home to find that my filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I was gone most of this afternoon and I came home this evening and to find that Cheyanne and her filly were seperated and Diva was inside my stallion's pen! Luckly my stallion was a good boy and didn't harm a hair on her head. Thank God for that cause I was not sure how he treated babies.

Diva is ok just lethargic and hungry and Cheyanne was happy to have her baby back. I don't have a clue how long they have been seperated. So I looked along the fence line to make sure there was no way she could get out again and when I finially got done turns out there was no way she could have got into my stallion's pen! The pen is atleast 4ft. high so I do not think she would jump it, she never leaves mom's side. I am so worried now that someone might have put her in there and I have no clue who it could have been!

If this happened to you what would you be thinking could have happened?

If I had checked everything over real well, by that point I would also be thinking someone had been messing around there. I'd keep an eye out for sure, and consider locking my gates. Did you notice any strange tracks? Were gates latched differently? Any different tire tracks around the house/barn?? I would be really bothered by that....hope you figure it out soon
unsure.gif

Padlock on the gate- I have had this trouble and I know it was people doing it maliciously, so I padlocked all the gates. I just used little, easy to break keyless padlocks and put them all to the same numbers so I did not have much to remember. It was not much inconvenience and it worked, it also allows you to work out if it is someone being malicious, or you are just going nuts
smile.gif
I would much rather know the foal had somehow got through the fence herself than believe someone had done it deliberately.

did you also look to see if she might have gotten out of the pen and that someone put her back, but didn't know the difference between the stallion and mare? Hope you solve this mystery cause you will go crazy till you do.

dannigirl said:
did you also look to see if she might have gotten out of the pen and that someone put her back, but didn't know the difference between the stallion and mare?  Hope you solve this mystery cause you will go crazy till you do.
431979[/snapback]

I was just thinking the same thing! A very definite possibility.
yes.gif
I would be checking the WHOLE fenceline of the field the mare & baby is in. The baby could have gotten out somewhere entirely apart from where the stallion is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very wierd...do you have any neighbors close by that may have put the filly away if they saw her out? Thanks heavens Diva is OK.

Perhaps she did lay down and when rolling over went under the fence? Or got loose and someone just popped her in a pen with the most upset horse. My girls got out yesterday and my stallion was having a fit....someone else may have figured they belonged there cuz he was so upset. He made a great alarm I most say.

Dimimore said:
Perhaps she did lay down and when rolling over went under the fence?
432047[/snapback]

Foals can slip through a very small area when doing this, just a few inches high.

I've had one do it; in fact have had an ADULT horse lie down and end up on the other side of a Powder River panel, and you'd never guess a horse could fit under there.
ohmy.gif

I hope you find out what happened!

I agree with Magic. WE have green heavy duty gates as our main gates. THere only about 6" off the ground. BUt I have had babys and a adult mini get under them when they lay down. I wouldnt of beleive that a adult could, however I know nobody messed with him at my aunts house, and the pastures are divided with field fence. Found him the next morning in with the stallion terrified to all get out.

No all of my fencing is panels that go down to the ground. No tracks, no damaged fences, nothing! So I still don't know what happened, and I might never will
rolleyes.gif

I KNOW YOU SAID YOU HAVE CHECKED THE FENCE, BUT RECHECK. GET LOW AND PUSH AGAINST IT. WE HAD A STALLION THAT KEPT GETTING OUT, WE CHECKED AND DOUBLE CHECKED AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW IN THE WORLD HE WAS GETTING IN WITH THE MARES UNLESS SOMEONE WAS LETTING HIM IN OR HE COULD JUMP A CATTLE PANEL. WELL TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS LOOSE ENOUGH AT THE BOTTOM AND YOU COULDN'T TELL, IT WOULD BOUNCE BACK AFTER HE WOULD LAY DOWN AND PUSH AGAINST IT AND ROLL UNDER. IT WAS ONLY AT THE BOTTOM IT WAS LOOSE ENOUGH. WE FINALLY, THANK GOODNESS CAUGHT HIM ONE DAY. BUT HE HAD TO WORK AT IT FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO BE ABLE TO GET IT IN THE RIGHT POSITION FOR HIM TO ROLL UNDER.

Sandy S. said:
I KNOW YOU SAID YOU HAVE CHECKED THE FENCE, BUT RECHECK.  GET LOW AND PUSH AGAINST IT.  WE HAD A STALLION THAT KEPT GETTING OUT, WE CHECKED AND DOUBLE CHECKED AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW IN THE WORLD HE WAS GETTING IN WITH THE MARES UNLESS SOMEONE WAS LETTING HIM IN OR HE COULD JUMP A CATTLE PANEL.  WELL TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS LOOSE ENOUGH AT THE BOTTOM AND YOU COULDN'T TELL, IT WOULD BOUNCE BACK AFTER HE WOULD LAY DOWN AND PUSH AGAINST IT AND ROLL UNDER.  IT WAS ONLY AT THE BOTTOM IT WAS LOOSE ENOUGH.  WE FINALLY, THANK GOODNESS CAUGHT HIM ONE DAY.  BUT HE HAD TO WORK AT IT FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO BE ABLE TO GET IT IN THE RIGHT POSITION FOR HIM TO ROLL UNDER.
432163[/snapback]

laugh.gif
smart little stud! lol, Anything for the girls though!
wub.gif

Hrm, that's very strange! Are you sure she couldn't of layed down and squeezed under some how. Very unlikely, but perhaps shegot stuck under thefence and after thrashing a bit ended up in your stallion's pen???

Get you some of those plastic ties at your hardware store. The kind where you put the end of the tie into the other end & pull as tight as you want.. (once pulled it can not be pulled back out - it has to be cut). When you leave put one of those on the latch. If you come back & it is off then you know someone has removed it....... You will need to keep a knife or scissors handy so you can cut it also. We started using them on our latches on the farm when we leave............. We also use them on our stall doors at the shows. If there is an emergency it can be removed easy enough but if it has been removed then we know someone else has done it......... I alternate in using different sizes & different colors....................... Of course someone can always climb the fence but they may give it a second thought whether it is worth it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back