very fat neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I have an 18 year old Mini mare who has been tested pre-Cushings.She has been on thyroid meds and a very controlled feeding program and has lost lots of weight.she is not fat except on her neck.She has a very large fat deposit which is probably 8 inches long and 4 inches deep on her neck.I have tried Quieesence (didn't work) and she is now on Pergolide daily(for at least 3 months)No difference in the neck.any suggestions would be helpful.Horsey liposuction?She is otherwise extremely healthy.

Hi Bevann -

I am also one of the moderators for the Yahoo Cushings/IR forum - you might want to join our group. You are doing the right thing by putting her on Pergolide. You should make sure she is on a low carb diet - there are several products on the market right now that are good. You should definitely add cinnamon to her diet - it will definitely help with the fatty deposits (I know - hard to believe, but it does work!) Add a teaspoon per day to her feed.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

What does cinnamon do to the fatty deposits? I've never heard of this before and I'm intrigued.

Hi Bevann -
I am also one of the moderators for the Yahoo Cushings/IR forum - you might want to join our group. You are doing the right thing by putting her on Pergolide. You should make sure she is on a low carb diet - there are several products on the market right now that are good. You should definitely add cinnamon to her diet - it will definitely help with the fatty deposits (I know - hard to believe, but it does work!) Add a teaspoon per day to her feed.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Could you post a link to the Yahoo site? I've searched and found many I'd like to join the correct one.

Thanks

Sounds a bit like our mare who was recently diagnosed as IR. I joined the Cushings group, tested her hay and have her on a low carb diet (Blue Seal Carb Guard, beet pulp, supplements, and the tested hay). I have also had some luck with neck sweats and flipping her mane from side to side to prevent the crest from falling. I think my mare is also sensitive to alfalfa and I saw improvement by removing alfalfa from her diet too. A lot of the low carb feeds contain alfalfa!!! I have also reduced her dosage of Remission (Magnesium/Chromium supplement to help prevent founder) as it seemed to be also reducing her energy level and her appetite which she (unlike many IR horses) does not need. My mare is not fat - as a matter of fact I would love to get more weight on her for showing but the Remissiomn seemed to be working against me. Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be!

That 4" neck thick neck is not as uncommon as you might think in miniatures.

Most people dont realize that horses in this condition, are also on the brink of founder as well.

Ive seen plenty of mini's that are not control fed, that are close to,- or have this problem.

It can be controlled by diet, but you have to be persistant, and in continual control of what they are eating..

Backing off on the Alfalfa, and pasture, and too many extras is a start..

Offering a bland low sugar soft dry grass hay like burmuda, in moderation insted can help immensely.

I have seen 2 mares like what you describe come back to ideal body condition, by following these guidlines.

But these same mares can bloat up in a hurry if left to themselves on pasture, and given alfalfa again, so the diet may need to be life long.

It is my understanding that Cushings is usually a problem with older horses though, and not something that is always responsible for the thyroid issues? How do you know if the horse is IR? How many horses that have a thyroid problem are IR? Does this affect any age? I have had someone sell me a horse as a bred mare- no it's just fat- and she has a very low thyroid.... way to low to carry a foal and all her fat seems to be in her stomach area, not her neck. (Seller & agent has refused to send a refund now though she advised twice that she would)

I also am curious as to how cinnamon affects the system?!!

Yes, Cushings is usually found in older horses. There is a test for Cushings and a test for IR. Some Cushings horses are also IR, some are not IR. Just like many (most) IR horses are not Cushings - they are separate issues. IR can occur in any age and there seems to be a genetic influence. I have the daughter of an IR mare who I keep on an IR diet just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dam of this mare had Cushings and this mare showed signs of beginning founder.She was tested by my vet before putting her on Pergolide.She is due to be re checked this week to see if there are any changes.She is on a dry lot and controlled feedings.I started the cinnamon today to see what happens.I use it myself on my oatmeal along with flaxseed.I am also giving the mare flaxseed.She shouldn't have high cholesterol.Thanks for the info forthe web site.I will check it out.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things for your little one - best wishes, and keep us posted!

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back