VERY EXCITING AMHA WORLD SHOW NEWS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really, really hope that people write/call their directors to ensure this sticks (if that is what you want). Here is a copy of the letter I just wrote to the region 8 directors and the Executive Committee:

I am writing to you all in support of the temporary rule change put in place at the last board meeting with regards to World Show Qualification.

There are many reasons I think this is a good idea. I am sure there are others out there like myself, that look upon this as a golden opportunity to qualify for and attend the World Show. From where I live, attending is no small matter. It is a multi-day trip for the horses, a plane ride for myself, and several thousands of dollars. I must admit that competing in the realm where I have the greatest chance to achieve my objectives is a big draw. I have attended the AMHR Nationals to compete with a first year horse. We placed in the middle of the pack for the most part and improved over the show year. By the time we got to Nationals, we garnered numerous top tens and a Reserve National Championship. Instead of "chasing points," our focus throughout the year was gradual improvement and practice, practice, practice. We could have walked into an arena twice to qualify. But that would not have helped us earn our true goal of top placings in the highest level of competition. So we worked very hard to become the best we could be. I compete all-around. These horses are not "made" in the backyard, nor are they "made" overnight. They are tempered into the top competitors they are under the spotlight of actual competition. I believe that anyone with a goal of winning at the top level realizes and appreciates this fact.

I do not have the time or resources to attend shows from both registries. My stretch goal for many years has been to compete at the World Show. I am in the process of mapping my way to achieve this right now. Due largely to the new qualification standard, I now KNOW I can qualify to achieve it, even if we "blow" some classes early in our season. If I have the stress of knowing that I MUST achieve a high placing in order to qualify, that takes quite a bit out of the enjoyment of developing my horse to reach our peak at the end of the year when it really counts. Showing our horses is supposed to be fun and enjoyable for both the handler and the horse. For some, including myself, the pressure to accomplish the goal via the point system might be enough to cause us to look elsewhere for our enjoyment. What if, after all of our preparation, work, and show entries, we do not qualify to go to the World Show? And because I competed in AMHA to try to reach that goal to the detriment of competing in the local R shows, I do not qualify to go to Nationals either? That would be disappointing, indeed.

I truly believe that MOST people would not consider walking into the ring at two shows to be an appropriate development plan for a top-caliber show animal. While there may be a few folks that live within a day's travel of the World Show that would casually enter, I believe that most people will consider the investment involved in attending such an affair would warrant considerable time in the ring preparing for it. Basically, I do NOT believe this will harm the local shows.

Please support this trial year rule change.

Sincerely,

------------------------------

Amy Lacy

Finch Meadow Farm

Miniature Performance Horses

Monroe, WA

The horse that is green or still being developed may need to continue showing throughout the year. However, a competitor who owns a horse or several horses that have consistently placed high, say top 5 at the Worlds for two years or more may see things a bit different. Proven and consistent horses may not have as great of need to continue showing at local shows after the two shows required to qualify. That does not mean that the horse is not in training it just may not require the additional ring experience to be competitive at the Worlds. If this competitor was spending 1000 dollars per show at a local level and now decides to forgo local and attend the World show it would save them considerable dollars in show fees and even more when the cost of fuel and addition training fees at a show are added. Those unspent dollars may certainly have more potential now to be redistributed to the AMHA coffers instead of the local clubs. This may or may not be a bad thing, just something that should be considered.

It would be interesting to see just how may folks were denied the opportunity to attend the Worlds last year because their horse failed to earn the required points. Even more interesting would be to see how many requested exceptions to the rule and then were denied. I am not convinced that the lack of qualifying horses was or is a significant reason for poor attendance at the World.

On a side note, those people who think that the AMHR National show is not as competitive as the AMHA World should check the names of the winning horses from both shows. It is amazing the similarities in the lists. How can one muster 1500 horses and the other can't make ends meet? Find the answer to that question and we will be on the way to a real solution.

As I see it,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to read everyone's comments here and find some vry well thought out ideas on both sides of the issue.

I have a question.....

It is amazing the similarities in the lists. How can one muster 1500 horses and the other can't make ends meet? Find the answer to that question and we will be on the way to a real solution.
As a means of comparison, how many under 34" horses were exhibited at (not entries, but actual horses) the last AMHR National Show? I think we have to take the 34" to 38" horses out of the equation in order to develop a reasoned comparison. Does anyone have that info?

Charlotte

The AMHA board of directors just voted not to revisit the new qualifying rule and it stands as written for the 2011 show season.

I, along with the other directors, want to thank you for your input.

Gary Owen

I have always felt that this would be a good idea. Glad to see that they keep to it. I certainly do not think it will hurt the local shows. Most of us - JUST WANT TO SHOW - points or no points. If people want to run for points then maybe the Honor Roll horse of the year would be more important. We WILL KEEP SHOWING - IT'S IN OUR BLOOD !!!!

As a means of comparison, how many under 34" horses were exhibited at (not entries, but actual horses) the last AMHR National Show? I think we have to take the 34" to 38" horses out of the equation in order to develop a reasoned comparison. Does anyone have that info?
I would like to know that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to see this so late but have been having computer issues.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but the Pinto Association does not require ANY qualification for its World Show that is held in June. if you want to show, you pay your fees and go in the ring. Yet competition at local shows is very strong - with a break in June for people to attend the World Show. Shows typically offer Year End Awards, Division High Points for each show, and of course the Pinto Association offers a wide range of coveted Year End and lifetime achievement awards. They have now added for 2011 a Pinto Pays program that operates like a futurity, but you can earn money for points earned at your LOCAL shows. In New England, all our classes, including open & amateur Mini, pony, and all horse types are quite full, with lots of points to go around. People are out there having FUN and shows seem to have no trouble making money. So it can be done...

Glad to hear an update, and glad the qualification issue will stand for 2011. The rule change will not diminish the number of local shows I attend - as others have said I'm showing my horses to enjoy myself, to further their education/experience, and to qualify. Probably in that order lol.

Jan

Though there were a few Local clubs with concerns, the overwhelming majority of people and many Local Clubs were very much in favor of this Standing Rule remaining as it was voted on at the February BOD meeting. I don't think further discussion would have changed the results of the vote. I have said it before and I will say it again! This standing rule will have no bearing on how many shows we go to. We will go to the shows we can fit into our schedule. We will go to the Eastern Championship Show because it is FUN! Yes... diesel and gas prices are going to be outrageous this year, but we will find a way to make it work. Some people have said that Typically with points, a trainer only has to take his horses (some of them) to 1 show and they are qualified through points. If they want to go through this new option, then it will force them to take their show string to a second show. On the other hand, some of the local clubs have expressed concern that they may lose their 'big trainers' that come in with a big string of horses, rent all of those stalls and pay all the entry fees. I think there are times that the 'back yard mini owner' doesn't come to some shows knowing that there will be several BIG trainers there and why bother, they won't even be looked at in the ring... MAYBE, just MAYBE, some of these folks will venture out this year to see how the shows are.

And those people who have qualified 1 horse for 1 class at worlds ~ they sure aren't going to drive 1/2 way across the country to show in 1 class.

Lets just wait and see what actually happens...There will be MANY Positive things that come from this and hopefully the negatives are not too evident.

Get out there with your horses and SHOW! Have fun with your horses and your family! It is good healthy fun, great for kids, young adults and some not so young adults...We have the horse for EVERYONE...lets encourage EVERYONE to get out in the show ring to do the best they can do!

Also... folks... don't limit your shows just to 'make a point' that it isn't going to work... you will only be hurting yourselves

I think this is a fabulous idea. I have not being showing AMHA at all, although I want to and actually prefer the classes AMHA has to offer, because all the shows were too far for me to go for various health related personal issues. It was a perfect world for me when Mullens were doing two day shows, one day AMHR, the next AMHA in NY. For awhile there were no AMHA shows at all in New York. I have heard there will be two in New York this year and I hope to go to both of them and qualify some horses for Worlds. I will not enter in just one class either, I usually like to enter my horses in every class they qualify for. Last year we went to AMHR Nationals and I can say the quality of horses was amazing there were few if any horses there just because they could be. Of course AMHR is always going to have more horses because of the B division and that is another topic AMHA might want to revisit if they are going to stay a viable organization. In the meantime this may be an idea whose time has come. No one can predict the future and the slow economy and rising fuel prices may hurt many shows but it is certainly worth a try.

Can someone post on here *which* rule will stand - the 2-show, 6-judge requirement (Saturday's vote) or the 2-show, 4-judge (modified by the BOD on Sunday)? I don't want to assume it's the former, which would also be one class on the local level.

Sorry to be thick-headed! I just want to be sure I understand which rule was left in place.

thanks!

Can someone post on here *which* rule will stand - the 2-show, 6-judge requirement (Saturday's vote) or the 2-show, 4-judge (modified by the BOD on Sunday)? I don't want to assume it's the former, which would also be one class on the local level.

Sorry to be thick-headed! I just want to be sure I understand which rule was left in place.

thanks!
We will be using the 2 Show ~ 4 Judge proposal that was passed by the BOD on the Sunday meeting.

Julie-

So, do we have to show in each class at the local shows that we want to show in at Worlds, then?
No, if you qualify using this rule, you may show your horse in any class that it otherwise meets the criteria for.

Gary

Here is what is posted on the AMHA website for those of you( like me
default_rolleyes.gif
) Who was confused
default_biggrin.png

2011 AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE ASSOCIATION

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW

September 23 - October 1, 2011

AMHA 2011 World Show Hardship

This is proposed as a standing rule for a trial period for the year 2011.

To qualify for World Show a horse must be shown in two approved AMHA shows (with at least 2 judges per show) and be entered and judged in one class. They do not have to win or place in the class to qualify. This qualifies this horse to enter any and all classes at the World Show that they wish to enter. If qualified by age - height or owner.

(Example: Horse enters in Solid Color Mares at two (2) AMHA Approved Local Shows, the horse may then be entered in any class at the World Show if correct age, height, etc.)

The two shows cannot be at a two show weekend that is held at the same location.

Late entries will be accepted with a late fee being charged per class.

Any horse shown at the World Show in a youth class must have been shown by that youth in an AMHA approved show within the qualifying year. If multiple youths are showing the same horse they must all show that horse at least at one Approved Local Show.

Weanlings do not need to qualify at two shows to be eligible to show at the World Show.

This qualifying system does not affect any class on the old system that requires zero (0) points to qualify other than youth classes.

It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to have the show manager sign a form (that will be provided) that states that the horse was exhibited at their show. This form will be sent in with their World Show Entries.

Latest posts

Back