Very disturbed and with some newbies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicole

pls dont feel that you cant post your questions! I dont at all think that is what marty meant. I cant believe how much I have learned from coming here. And having mentors helps a lot too. I am so lucky to have had many help me along the way. And I have had a blast helping leanna and helping her keeps me still learning too! And I continue to learn more all the time because I listen to what other people say. I may not always agree with them but sometimes you just need to be open to new ideas or theories etc.

To me LB is all about asking questions and learning more!

I deal with these same types of people. But, since I am so picky, I have many repeat customers, and I keep in touch with almost every horse that has been sold here, even the ones that are not mine, and are sold by me as an agent. I know of one farm where the people went to look at the horse. Well, the owner would not give them the time of day, just took them to see the horses for sale, told them a price, and left them to think it over. These were highly bred horses, but the prospective owners would have never had known that , since the owner did not tell them anything. Anywho, they came to me to look at mine. Mine were higher priced. But, I inverviewed them, asked about their facilities, and told them way more than they ever needed to know. And they bought from me because I was a talker. I let them meet all the horses here, to see personalities, and let them play with mine. I wanted to make sure it was a proper fit.

I have had one horse returned. She was a yearling filly that continued to beat the snot out of their weanling. So, the very appreciative people came back, and they got another horse from me.

I think it lies on us as reputable breeders to tell them about vaccines, coggins tests, hoof care, feeding, and anything else they want to know. If they choose to buy cheaper, 9 out of 10 times they come back to me for advise. I am not saying I know everything, but I am so willing to help them. I see them as friends and they might always refer someone to me.

And it happens with seasoned horse people, too. They simply think they are smaller, and require less care. So, I tell them, same amount of time and care, just less feed.

Also, I want to say that I learn a bunch from listening and learning, too. We are always learning. I learn so much being a member of this forum.

I am off my soap box, now

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicole

pls dont feel that you cant post your questions! I dont at all think that is what marty meant. I cant believe how much I have learned from coming here. And having mentors helps a lot too. I am so lucky to have had many help me along the way. And I have had a blast helping leanna and helping her keeps me still learning too! And I continue to learn more all the time because I listen to what other people say. I may not always agree with them but sometimes you just need to be open to new ideas or theories etc.

To me LB is all about asking questions and learning more!

I agree totally with Marty too!! It was the commet that Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said that I quoted... I have a friend I recently met and she will not come on the fourm anymore b/c of the posters that are rude and make you feel stupied for asking a possibly stupid question. If you don't aske those "stupid " question then you will never learn.

Unfortuntately Marty it's not just newbies who don't have the desire to learn or to care for their horses properly.

Yes Shirley there are a lot of walking horses up here that are here for the summer, but come winter they are in the public auction because people don't want to buy hay. And in the spring, they buy horses again.

What in he** is up with that? Then why did they buy them in the first place? Because they are so disposable.

And no Nichcole, I am certainly not directing anything to you or issuing a blanket statement to all newbies as I stated in my post. We all had to start somewhere. But didn't we seek out help after we messed up? YES. I am speaking about first time owners that will buy a horse with no facilities, no idea of how to feed, and don't think these things matter, and just plain do not care...and WILL NOT LEARN TO CARE. But they still want a horse.

I have offered information on care in the past to first time potentional owners but what can you do when they could care less, turn a deaf ear, and are going to do their own thing anyhow? Nothing. Frustrating.

When people buy cheap they can afford to cast it aside when they are tired of it, like the bunnies & colorful chicks at Easter time.... Some people are misled into believing that the miniatures can be left to fend on their own - irresponsible sellers out to make a buck! :eek: Too bad we can't mandate responsibility thus my feeling that breeding any animal should be preceded with a test of knowledge & a license.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very glad there are so many caring and responsible breeders on this forum! I wish everyone that dealt with any type of companion animal was like you. If that were the case, then irresponsible and ignorant people would not be so easily able to get their hands on animals. After all, why should those people have to wise up when they are right, they CAN easily go to an auction or another breeder and get whatever they want.

I think the problem is really caused by those folks that SHOULD know better that breed excessively and sell indiscriminately; not as much the "newbies".

I am what you more experienced breeders call a "newbie".. I fell in love with the little ones. I had never owned a horse on my life. I was 33 yrs old when I got my first horses..(2 mini's). I looked around on here for awhile before I got mine. I first started talking to the breeder I got mine from in Jan. We were ready for them to come in April. I did do alot of reading. I asked alot of questions. But until you have them with you, all the research in the world does not prepare you for it. Just like when you become a mother.. I'm just a little concerned because some of you breeders (NOT MARTY) don't give newbie's a chance.. I may not have years of horse knowledge like the rest of you, but I do know how to feed, care, clean and seek medical help.. When I got my two, they "were for my kids".. I will be honest, the new horses have worn off with the kids. But, when I became a horsey mommy, just like when I became a real mommy, I knew it would be up to me to give all the care.. I love my two with all my heart. I still go out at night 2 or 3 times a night just to check on them(just like how many times you peek on your children..) I am so grafteful that my breeder, Kareng gave me the chance.. I would have been heartbroken it once she found out I never owned a horse, she told me no I couldn't buy them from her.. And if the time came that I could no longer keep up with there care, then I would give them back to her.. I love them enough to just let them go, to be healthy. I did have a time where I was concerned over money and asked if she could buy them back, but I just over reacted. But even if we are low on funds, there is still hay out there and grain in their barn.

Just please some of you bigger breeders try to remember, some of us might not show, or drive and don't know everything there is to know about a miniature horse. But some of us can love them with all of our hearts and really spend time with them one on one daily, everyday.. I know I still have a lot to learn, but no one can't say I can't love and care because I'm a "NEWBIE".. My horses don't win ribbons, titles or cash, but they have won my heart forever..
default_wub.png
: And that is what I thought being a pet owner means.. And yes, I have slept in the barn, I've tried the "private cleaning" thing, I've wormed them and have had emergency vet visits. All part of the job...

I know that there are a lot of times when I ask some questions, I don't get a lot of replies, because I'm not in the popular owner groups.. But thanks to all of you that have given this "NEWBIE" replies.. It really does mean a lot to me to have someone give me a reply.. And I have met some really wonderful people threw here...Friendships that can last a life time for being a newbie...

:aktion033: Very well said...I wouldn't say I'm much of a "newbie" anymore but just 2 weeks we had a guy come in and ask if we had any horses that were for sale for $300 and no more than $500. He was saying he wanted to grade mini for his daughter to haul around to her barrel racing shows and what not. He was looking to breed or anything but I was shocked to think that he showed up at a breeding/show barn thinking he could get that much. 4 years ago I paid $800 for my mare whose 7 now but I love her to pieces I almost made the mistake and sold but I'm very glad I didn't. My christmas present from my hubby was a 6 month old miniature stud colt. My plans for him are to show him for awhile and then breed him to my mare and some select mares on the outside but later on when my husband and I get out of the military I want a med- sized breeding/showing/training operation. I doubt I'll sell my first few horses that I have on my farm. But I know a dumb person when I see em. And my furkids only deserve the best of homes...And I'm pretty stingy I don't think I'll sell them...LOL
default_yes.gif
: So who knows...I still have 4 years to go before I get that dream

I have been very, very fortunate so far - I have only sold 3 horses (one adult, one yearling, one weanling) and all 3 have gone to very good homes. I stay in touch with the owners, they freely ask questions if any arise -- again, I feel very lucky!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

I have only read about half of these replys but I could write a chapter in this book. The most recent one was about a week ago. I work with a small guy, maybe about 140 pounds, he was asking about a mini for his girls, age 10 and 12. He asked if kids can ride them and I said if they're under 50 pounds, then he said, could he? I said NO. He was serious too. Then he said, well, I know my kids won't stay off of them. I wanted to tell him if his kids were brats that wouldn't listen, then they don't deserve them but then I realized that he was the idiot, not the kids. I just told him that if the kids like to ride that much, he should get them a bigger horse, something like about a 12 HH older gelding would be good for them.

[quote name='Nichcole' date='Dec 21 2006, 04:34 PM' post='731759

I agree totally with Marty too!! It was the commet that Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said that I quoted... I have a friend I recently met and she will not come on the fourm anymore b/c of the posters that are rude and make you feel stupied for asking a possibly stupid question. If you don't aske those "stupid " question then you will never learn.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was meaning about posting questions about problems. The questions are by no means stupid in any way and the forum is a great place to learn. Yes some threads disintegrate quickly into personal preferences some good, some not but if the background is not there to begin with it tends to do more harm than good sometimes. Sometimes people tend to forget that when they give advice, what they are saying is based on their level of experience, not the poster's.

No where but in the mini world would a newbie choose a stallion or a filly or colt as their first ever experience with a horse. Of course it happens with full-sized horse community too but it also tends to be self-limiting when the horse becomes too much to handle and they either must to seek professional help or leave horse to it's own devices. I think that is what sets people off in some threads when the poster takes offense for asking the question but than is not willing to hear the replies. Minis are still horses regardless of size and should be treated as such. I don't treat my minis any different that my 1200 lb quarter horses and train them the same way. As someone said earlier, they only real difference, besides some idiosyncracies like sensitivity to wormers, etc., is the amount of feed.

Marty the same people have called me too recently. Besides those u listed I got the guy that just bought a nice appy stud. Of course he wouldnt pay $400 more for the horses papers so its unregistered. Now he wants to buy some cheap appy mares. Somebody told him I have appy minis so he wants to see all my loud appy mares and he doesnt need their papers so how cheap will I sell them? And some others equally "exciting". Needless to say I have not sold any horses recently
default_wacko.png
:

In defense of 'newbies! Although I have been around big horses all of my life, I can't ride anymore and since horses got into my blood, so to speak, I thot it would be wonderful to own a mini. Fortunately I met a mini owner a year before I got my first little guy. I bought him for $100! He would have probably ended up in an auction some where! As with some other 'newbies' on here, breed, show quality,papers etc did not matter one bit. All I wanted was a horse. Donna (Qtrrae) is a member of LB and is my mentor as well as a God send with tons of advice and information. I'm sure there have been times that she probably got tired of me always asking 'stupid' questions but she has ALWAYS been wonderful! She has directed me to LB on the issues that she was not familiar with but NEVER has put me off or been rude! I have been on LB with several inquiries and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and advice I've received even though I'm sure some of the breeders probably thought were 'dah' issues. If anyone had indicated that, I'm the type that would 'voice my opinion' carefully, not to burn bridges but to let you all know that we 'newbies' have to start somewhere. If we did not ask, then our minis would be in real trouble!

Well, long story short, I now have 3 and they are my 'kids'. I tend to them almost as much as I did my children! I am very particular with them as it sounds like you all are. How did I get that way? Not just because of my love for the animal but because I found people here that agree that these little furry horses are very special. Although they may look like a smaller version of a horse, I personally think they need extra attention in some respects unlike thier larger counter parts. The public just needs the education that I needed when I got my first one. Not all of the inquiries you get are stupid people. They just may be uneducated in the mini world. Please have patience with those of us who don't know any better.

I totally understand Marty's concerns though. I had one guy call me recently. His father had lost his dog of many years and asked if he got a mini, could it be kept in the dog kennel?!?! Personally, I almost fell off my chair, but then remembered how 'unlearned' I was not too long ago. I very gingerly told him about minis and by the time the conversation was over, HE was the one that admitted how 'stupid' the question was. In this scenario, I thank God he called me before he just went out and got one and tried to keep it in a dog kennel. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I have to say I am very grateful there are newbies - without them where would we be and really we were all newbies at one point and compared to others we will always be newbies I have been doing this 10 + years but there are those who have been doing it 20.

I have sold many horses to newbies and will continue to do so. Many have gone on to learn better there programs, show at Nationals and place ect. Heck one of them is Disneyhorse and while I had minis a couple of years before she bought her first one we have both learned and grown togther and remained friends- doesnt get much better then that!

Others I have sold for are now doing very well in the ADS in both shows and CDE's

Of course due to the breed we choose to be involved in it lends itself to specific problems one being stallions being easy to handle, being very small so having many is easy, everyone breeding however.. of course everyone is breeding look at our sales adds. Most imply breeding quality or are selling in foal, or package deals with stallions and mares. Our own adds emphasize breeding and then we wonder why everyone wants to breed DUH

There will always be those looking to exploit, breeders and sellers looking to exploit the newbies,

owners willing to exploit there horses, bad people out there however thankfully the good outweighs the bad and I have been very lucky I guess as the newbies I have sold to and met (and been myself) all have great intentions and want to learn and be part of this wonderful breed!

It's always been a concern to me that so many "mini people" get their first ever horse -- a mini -- and a year later they are breeders.

Another thing though that is very annoying are people who've had horses for decades but act like they don't "know" as much as someone who's had horses a year and tried to learn.

I hope none of the newbies ever think that others are picking on them, we want to help them and want to answer questions, even if they don't buy from me, I try to help them if they have questions. I want them to have a horse that matches there needs, if I dont' have it, I direct them to where they should be going. I direct them to this forum too. THIS isn't what this thread is about. I really want to help new people, not that I know it all either but I've learned alot and will share anything that I can.

:aktion033: AAAAAMEN!!!!!! It breaks my heart when I see a horse tied out to a post with no water and not been moved for days...I could just wring some necks!!! mine will never leave me ,,I know they are spoiled and taken very good care of ...

I have told people to go purchase a Breyer horse - no vet bills and no farrier bills and the horse won't suffer if they make a mistake.

You are doing the right thing... have turned those calls away myself and they really make me angry...
default_frusty.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

I agree with Triggy's post earlier- I have known folks who HAVE had horses for YEARS, and I swear, have NO clue about health care, feed or anything. Because they have been lucky enough to get by so far, I guess they think it's all ok, but have no interest in learing a thing. Very disheartening.

And then I have met quite a few newbies who have 'horse sense' and are willing to learn and have done some homework prior.

I dont think it's really whether the folks are new to horses are not, some folks just are NOT in tune with the animal world and really shouldnt even own a cat. They just dont get any of it.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back