Very differnet-photos page2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
I recently purchased a sweet mini mare name Last Chance Enchanted Storm. She's nice colored red dun pinto, lineback, and has white legs, typical minimal pinto markings....However, now she's shedding out and I'm finding dark patches/pinto markings....on body. They look like dark clouds of color on top of her dun coloring. It's not dirt, it's her coat....like a calico cat.

I'm curious to learn: Has anyone heard of this or seen anything of the sort? I've had horses since 1978 and pretty familiar with most coat colors and patterns (solids, appy, pintos, dapples, etc), but I've never seen calico type markings on any horse.

Up date: Photos can be seen on page 2. Special thanks to Reble :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is likely just the Bend Or spots. Many red based horses have this...some are small(ish) spots, while others are larger like patches of the dark color. I don't actually recall if she had them or not when she was a baby and unfortunately, I didn't keep any pics except for one. Please email me the pics. Thanks!

I believe it is likely just the Bend Or spots. Many red based horses have this...some are small(ish) spots, while others are larger like patches of the dark color. I don't actually recall if she had them or not when she was a baby and unfortunately, I didn't keep any pics except for one. Please email me the pics. Thanks!
I will send photos in the morning, thanks mona! She's a character...very very friendly, playful and alert.

I had a Grullo colt that shedded out to be a brindle looking color until his summer coat came in. It was the weirdest thing.

I would also guess it is some sort of bend spots or sooty colorizartion. I have a mare that changes colors every season.There is a very rare equine coat pattern called brindle, and it is just that, the same brindle colozation a pitpull or greyhound or boxer would have, almost in rows.

In his newest (third) edition of Equine Color Genetic, Phillip Sponenberg discusses "Calico Tobianos" on page 256.

Your new mare sounds like she could be one of these rare horses.

My stallion, Teddy, has a Bend Or spot!

Does it look that this?

DorsalStripe.jpg

In his newest (third) edition of Equine Color Genetic, Phillip Sponenberg discusses "Calico Tobianos" on page 256.
Your new mare sounds like she could be one of these rare horses.
Well, that sounds very interesting. "Calico tobiano".

Her spots are round pinto shapes....not brindle/tiger stripes. Someone kindly plans to post photos for me tomorow so everyone can see what I'm finding on this sweet mare.

Hmmm, Macy had an almost black, HUGE spot over her entire hip (she's a fading grey) when she was younger. Jammer (sorrell tobiano) has dark spots in his color, we called them "smutty spots"
default_smile.png

We used to use a stallion that had those! Looked like a mechanic wiped his hands all over him LOL. As he matured, he got more of those spots. Some of his offspring had them too.

My stallion, Teddy, has a Bend Or spot!

Does it look that this?

DorsalStripe.jpg
I'd say they are like that, but they are on different areas of her body, and don't seem to have roaning. She's basically marked as typical minimal pinto, but she also has soft faded white spots on her body here and there too. The dark and white spots on her red dun coloring reminding me of a calico cat.

We used to use a stallion that had those! Looked like a mechanic wiped his hands all over him LOL. As he matured, he got more of those spots. Some of his offspring had them too.
At times, I've thought the same thing too.... (looks like a mechanic wiped his hands all over)....
default_smile.png
Mostly I'll tell her "calico" while I'm brushing her.
default_smile.png

I'm sure they can have them with or without roaning. The roaning would be a separate "gene".

My red horse has Bend Or spots too. They started developing a couple of years ago when he was six or so and he seems to get new ones each year. They appear more as smutty spots than hoofblack spills, thank God, but they're still pretty noticeable when he's clipped!
default_rolleyes.gif
He's got a big one across his tailhead and a couple more on his hips.

He also has a lot of roaning and some white patches showing up in his coat but I think that has more to do with a minimal expression sabino gene or something like it.

Leia

We just had a foal a few days ago with a Bend Or spot on his rump. I call him a one spot colt. lol Here is a photo of him.

rocket0028_T.jpg

I have a gelding who is bay and at some times of the year he gets those and almost looks like a giraffe but they go away other times in the year

Here you go
default_wub.png
These are for Seashells / Lots for you guys to view....

LB.gif

LB10.gif

LB11.gif

LB2.gif

LB3.gif

LB4.gif

LB5.gif

LB6.gif

LB7.gif

LB8.gif

LB9.gif

Yep, looks like Bend Orr spots, and sabino roaning spots as well.
default_smile.png

Reble---Thank you for posting photos for me!

Everyone's been helpful, and I now learned they are most likely Bend or spots (something new to me). Now, I'm wondering if they are also known as "calico tobianos".

This mare foaled a dun overo colt for her previous owner. I plan to breed her to my new stallion (black pinto) named Rockin Robins My Secret Valentine (bond dynamo breeding). It will be interesting to see what she has in 2010.

Back