Verry Offensive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a thread about this here, but didn't have the heart to read it. Of course, it hurts me to think of that kind of a clinic, but it does beat starving them to walking skeletons only to die from that condition. We've all seen those kinds of photographs.

The USA has very few slaughter houses left
The USA has no slaughter houses left. Unwanted horses are now sent out of the country.
default_no.gif

Liz R.

We put thousands and thousands of healthy dogs and cats down every year (heck every DAY probably) in the US. Most people don't like it, but all we can do is try our best to push spay/neuter and be thankful they don't suffer. Why should it be any different for horses? I do think this is VERY sad. But better than being forgotton in a pasture to starve or sent out of the country where there are little to no laws for humane treatment of animals to be slaughtered. I think that we might need to change our mindset a little when it comes to unwanted horses. If there are too many horses than there are good homes, it is far better to have them euthanized then sent to slaughter. Just think of the outrage in this country if we started stuffing dogs and cats in crates and shipping them off to Mexico to be slaughtered for meat for countries that eat them.

My opinion...... we should have never closed down the slaughter houses in the US. All the time, effort and money that went into that should have gone into creating and ENFORCING laws that made transport and slaughter as humane as possible. I hate the thought of slaughtering horses, but if it is done humanely I can accept it. (and while they were at it they could have passed/enforced laws on the humane treatment and slaughter of farm animals too, but that is a whole 'nuther thread). What is happening now is unacceptable. Sending US horses on long trips out of the country away from ANY laws that can help them. After the transport/slaughter rules where improved, THEN start working towards soulutions to reduce the number of horses that end up going to slaughter, but protect the horses first.

I just watched a couple of videos on the horse trade in the EU and how the ILPH is working to enforce transport laws in hopes that conditions will improve and maybe the transport of live horses will be somewhat replaced with carcass trade instead. These videos don't have any bloody graphic stuff in them. They are actually kind of interesting even though they are sad. They talk about improving conditions rather than banning slaughter. That is the first step IMO. And after watching a few related videos that WERE very graphic, the EU really does need to act on this and step up laws and enforcement as some of these horses are suffering terribly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a search on one of the popular internet horse classifieds and found 348 "free" horses waiting for new homes

Either Michigan is really shy on "Free horses" or that was a search in the entire U.S.?
default_smile.png

I just did a similar search and found 350 horses listed for free in America.... HOWEVER Quite a few of these ads were miss-taken and came up as free in the title to an ad that said something like "Horse for sale, Free winter blanket" So that knocks some out. In the first four pages I skimmed threw 1/3 of these listed horses were already claimed, By good homes, bad homes, I don't know. Needless to say even if the final total averaged 500 horses listed for free in the U.S. on-line thats 10 horses per state.

It just amazes me how many people (No one in particular) will breed horses but yet say its OK these others are thrown away..... How is that possible? I guess it amazes me as much as "Abortion is okay but if only we could find life on Mars!"
default_wacko.png

So... I have two nicely bred good looking buckskin colts here, un-wanted, owner couldn't sell them quick enough due to this market, so the owner PAID me to take. One off the track Thoroughbred who has a click in his hip and needs weight. One underweight mare who was used as a one horse baby factory and needs help with her hooves. A Morgan gelding who is fat and happy but was deemed otherwise UN-safe by an owner who wanted to put him down. A funny looking gelding who reared a lot and was simply mis-understood. A Thoroughbred who was starved and abused. A buckskin mare her owners gave away because she couldn't be bred. One pony who was a stallion, show horse, and worth good money but due to his owners was scared to death of people, when he was no longer manageable he was off to the auction. And one little four year old mare who was sold 7 times that we know of and they wonder why no one could ride her.

I suppose they could all go to that clinic.... Although I will need to pry SEVEN of them from their new owners cold dead hands to do so
default_biggrin.png

I know there are many who will take someones free horse and sell them to slaughter. Or maybe not know the additional costs beyond the "free" and end up giving the horse no better of a home. I was just saying for the many, many good use-full, nice horses people are lining up to have put to sleep, a "Free Horse" ad is a better option. JMO...
default_yes.gif

I 100% support the clinic and hope more can happen across the USA.

If someone can not pay for their own food, how can they pay $200-300 for euth., and then more for the disposal of the body?????????? Yeah, sure, maybe they shouldn't of got the horses(s) in the first place, but they did, and now can not care for them. This is the only solution. Sure beats starving to death. Or a long, scary trailer ride to a horrible death.

And sometimes it is not the persons personal fault. Things were great, and then jobs have been lost and no money, and now what?? A lot of people do go without to see that their horses/animals are fed, and this will help them.

It is a very sad but needed thing. There are 100's of free horses (big) here in California, thousands across the USA....only so many people can take on more horses. The only other choice is the one way trip to Mexico. (Or Canada if they are lucky)

But yet people just keep breeding and breeding and breeding. Makes me sick.

But what really ticks me off is the people who take their old, crippled horse that they have had forever, to the auction/killer buyer to get a few bucks out of it. Maybe this will help those poor old horses.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, but that's just the way it is.

Those that are against it should put a ad in the paper and take on some of these horses that need a home. Be the first to step up.....

Sue

Oh, and just because you aren't seeing ads for these horses doesn't mean they are not out there.....most pleas for someone to take their horse is by phone or email or word of mouth. Ya know....so-and-so is losing their Ranch and have 10 horses that need a home NOW. Free.

Well I read about the euthanasia clinic and even thought it truly saddens me on the other hand I am thankful that owners care enough not to send their horses to low end auctions (more than likely into the hands of meat dealers) and are chosing this option. Too many are even being abandoned to die a slow death of famine. I applaud that rescue offering this clinic as I know that it can't be an easy decision but I do so commend them for giving not only the horse but the owner some dignity in such difficult situations.

I think it is a great idea.

It is dealing with reality. A sad one but reality none the less.

I don't think they were encouraging people to euthanise healthy, useful animals.

I thought it was for people who needed to have horses euthanised but could not afford it.

In this economy, I would much rather euthanise an animal than send a horse to auction.

For me, If I could not sell the horse to a good home and could not feed the horse or afford vet/farrier care.

Euthanasia might be my only option. But if you don't have enough money you can't afford euthanasia.

A friend was quoted $850 to have her horse euthanised by a local vet!

Not an option for many in this economy.

Absolutely 100% for it - it's a far kinder end than I would guess the majority of the horses in our county face. I know a LOT of people that own horses, and I know only a few that keep a horse for it's entire lifetime. So what is it that you think happens to these horses that are no longer "useful"?

Went into Theisen's today and there was an ad for a free 1/2 quarter 1/2 arab gelding 7-10 years old, not broke, if anyone is interested. Also was contacted by someone who would like to help place a mare that may be euthanized, a broke 13 year old TB mare that reared up and fell back broke her withers and now needs 6-8 months off per the vet.

Yes I would love to see these horses placed in a good loving home, but if that's not going to happen, I'd MUCH rather see them euthanized then loaded up for a long scary drive to another country to be slaughtered. And I think some folks would be willing to pay $25 to euthanize, but aren't willing or able to pay the usual $100-$500 for euthanasia plus body disposal.

I know there are many who will take someones free horse and sell them to slaughter. Or maybe not know the additional costs beyond the "free" and end up giving the horse no better of a home. I was just saying for the many, many good use-full, nice horses people are lining up to have put to sleep, a "Free Horse" ad is a better option. JMO...
default_yes.gif

I understand where you are coming from and it IS an awful waste anytime a horse that could be ridden, driven, or even just be someones pasture pet, is put down or sent to slaughter. But I have heard too many horror stories to let a horse go from a free ad, or sometimes even a sale ad for that matter! I am not the kind of person that would let my horse go and hope for the best. I have seen too many photos, videos, and first hand examples of horse abuses. If I could place my horse with a person that I had COMPLETE trust in to take of my horse until it died, or a retirement farm that would take care of it until it died I might consider it over euthanasia. Of course I am talking if things were desparate as I plan on keeping everything I have until they die. But if I couldn't find a place that I could completely trust I am afraid I would have to consider euthanasia. I think otherwise I would go insane wondering every minute of the rest of my life what became of them. It's bad enough that I sometimes look at my guys and think what if I hadn't bought them? They MIGHT have ended up in a bad situation! Yes, sometimes I think WAY too much.
default_rolleyes.gif

I just did a search on one of the popular internet horse classifieds and found 348 "free" horses waiting for new homes
Either Michigan is really shy on "Free horses" or that was a search in the entire U.S.? smile.gif
Make that 384 free horses on one single classified and yes entire U.S (not sure where you got I meant only Michigan
default_rolleyes.gif
) I skimmed through these and on this particular site they have a criteria that must be followed in order to place an ad on there, and yes 99% of these ads are for free horses (not free items like you suggested).. Most of these are off the track thoroughbreds (many of which who are "broken down" from racing and will need more training/riding before being suitable for just anyone to ride), aged horses (most were 20's+), horses with severe health issues and horses unsuitable for riding..

Along the idea of "clinics", why not offer gelding clinics? Would reduce the number of reproduction capable colts/stallions.. Obviously spaying mares wouldn't be feasible since it's a much more "drastic" operation, but I don't see why something similar to this euthanasia clinic couldn't be set-up for gelding colts and stallions..

A friend was quoted $850 to have her horse euthanised by a local vet!
When you actually break down the costs, the actually drug cost is far less than what the vets charge, what you end up paying for is the vet's time and abilities, not the actual drug.. And then to have to add another 200-500+ for disposal..

$850 to euthanize a horse?? Yikes. Would that include disposal?

Here we pay less than $100 to euthanize a horse, and I can get a backhoe to bury for $75 or less. Up until very recently we could get the rendering plant to pick up a horse for just the price of the "fuel surcharge" which was $7.75 for us. We used that service in the winter when the ground was too frozen to bury anything. I have heard that as of 2 or 3 months ago the rendering plant is no longer picking up anything but pigs. If they stick to this policy then I am not sure what people are supposed to do with a deceased horse, particularly in the winter time. Someone with a big farm might just drag it out into the bush and leave it there (not good at all if it has been euthanized with drugs--and not something that I'd want to do in any case) but for those of us on small acreages that isn't an option even if we wanted to do that. I've heard tell that cremation is $1500 for a horse and most people are not going to pay that.

If you could all just walk a day in the shoes of CMHR behind the scenes it would break your heart on some days. The atrocities of the kill buyers going into Mexico are so horrific, it cannot be defined. These once loved and pampered horses of all breeds are so tortured, minis included, that there are no words to relay the goings on there without having to vomit. So yes, I am with this plan of euthanasia.

Sheryl said my thoughts completely "Yes this is what it has come to........etc." She is very correct and I agree 100%. People are starving their animals and turning these horses loose all over the country side! And worse! People did not heed the warning, or care, to stop the breeding, the insane and crazy breeding of hundreds and hundreds on their ranches everywhere and now we have more horses than ever before, even little baby foals going unwanted. You would think that people would know better by now. I'd rather see these horses pass over to Rainbow Bridge in dignity, than risk any horrors of the kill buyers anyday.

Nic, from what I read about you here, you are taking in horses, putting some skills on them and then homing them. Cheers for you and I applaud that. You are making some otherwise unwanted horses usable now. Just please be careful and don't let yourself get hurt.

Now, if we could only put a temporary moratorium on breeding or get the entire horse industry regulated or licensed somehow, maybe we could slow down the surplus population of unwanted horses in all breeds.

I think it was a horrible, misguided attempt at making things better when slaughter houses were closed down.

I find that euthanasia clinic offensive, sad, and horrifying... and probably the best option many people have. I'd digging through my pockets looking for spare money to donate to the facility offering the service, but unfortunately I'm not finding very much. If I do find some spare cash, it'll definately be sent their way.

Haven't finished reading the rest of this thread, but I'll put in my 2 cents worth, which probably really isn't even worth that much.

The economy is in dire straits!!!! More and more people are losing jobs and their homes every day.

Every week here I see more and more 'auction' signs put up on houses that last week or last month were occupied. NOTHING is selling. I see brand new homes, that are now OVER a year old, still sitting empty.

Almost every time I go into a local feedstore, I am asked if I know anyone who wants a free horse. Up the road about a month ago was a big sign placed out at the main road.... "Free horses". People are leaving their homes daily and leaving their small pets behind.. what the heck would they do with a horse, when you have kids to feed and can't even afford gas to get back and forth to work?

The rescues here are over crowded and full..... and no one is donating to help support them now, because nobody can afford it! Most here are not taking in any more animals- they can't. Horses have been turned loose in the desert to die, but were found and picked up. I am not sure what happened to them- one mare was crippled and the yearling colt with her was not much better and had leg problems. Another rescue had planned to take in about a half dozen or so, and last I heard had about 50 and they were having trouble maintaining those.

I knew this would come to a head sooner or later when the slaughter houses were shut down, but didnt expect the economy to dive head first into a dry swimming pool either, and have this happen so fast.

There is no place for these horses to go!!! Who is going to take them? Yes, it's better than having them starve. This mess has been created by those who thought slaughter was just too cruel and they ALL need to be saved, and the economic problems just gave it the last kick over the edge...... Well, what now?

What I fear is that many of the rescues have taken in horses that are crippled, blind or have other problems, because some feel that they all need to be 'saved'. In my opinion, some of them would be better off put down, because their quality of life is not that great. Every penny they get is trying to cover the feed and vet bills on these animals. How many healthy horses are going to be euthanised now, because the rescues are full of old, sickly or crippled horses and can't help the ones who may REALLY need to be saved at this point, and owners have to make this HORRIBLE decision, because they have kids to feed, and have no other choice.

It's a sad state of affairs...........

Laurie, beautiful job on your post.

I can't even count how many calls CMHR got this year but the numbers are so way out of line its crazy.

What I fear is that many of the rescues have taken in horses that are crippled, blind or have other problems, because some feel that they all need to be 'saved'. In my opinion, some of them would be better off put down, because their quality of life is not that great. Every penny they get is trying to cover the feed and vet bills on these animals. How many healthy horses are going to be euthanised now, because the rescues are full of old, sickly or crippled horses and can't help the ones who may REALLY need to be saved at this point, and owners have to make this HORRIBLE decision, because they have kids to feed, and have no other choice.

This is so true also in many rescues Laurie and we do have a couple with issues, and we did unfortunately have to put two down this year, that could not possibly be saved and that hurt us so badly. but I have to tell you we have some very exceptional pretty horses ain't a dad gum thing wrong with them and nobody wants them so far. We've lowered our adoption fees, and stood on our heads to get them into homes and its just plain hard. I must admit that if they had registration papers, it could make a difference I think, but they are just grade ponies that nobody seems to want yet. We have two sets of geldings that could be beautifully perfectly matched driving teams so pretty I could see them in a Christmas parade sporting red velvet ribbons from their manes right now, but nope, no hits. We have some gorgeous larger ponies like 40" range so pretty it would knock your socks off but nope, no luck yet. Hey but we are hanging in there and soon we will be out there for our holiday presentations so hopefully things will get better.

We need help desperatly in this entire horse industry.

What are we going to do and who is going to help us all out of this?

Thank you Marty. What a shame..... and I hope that the little guys find SUITABLE homes where they will have good care and be used. I got a beautiful visual on the matched team with red ribbons!!!

It is really tough. Would I have mine put to sleep before they sold for meat at an auction and got shipped on a truck for a hellacious trip to Canada or Mexico? YOU BET!! I would never subject my horses to that.

You sure dont hear much though about that do you, from all the folks who worked to support the slaughter banning and 'save the horses' stuff..... WHERE ARE THEY NOW!!!! THE HORSES NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER, BUT YOU HAVE NOT OFFERED A HOME OR DONATIONS TO THESE ANIMALS!!!! Those people seem to have disappeared into the woodwork. I am sure they are working on 'saving' something else now.... heaven forbid I dont even want to know what that might be!

Latest posts

Back