Venting....you breed 22 inch minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
I recieved an email from someone wanting my 30 inch amha palomino pinto mare who is due in a month.i replied with a price,and she was going,to talk it over with her husband.come to find out,she is breeding 22 &23 inch minis!! She asked me to come down on price and said she had cancer,which I am sorry for,but her breeding struck me all wrong....i replied,i thought her breeding practices were dangerous,and id like to keep my mare.....i feel bad about it,but I really dont want my mare going somewhere with no regards on,responsible breeding...am I wrong here?

Maybe they are just ignorant to some things. 22 inch tall minis are very hard to come across. I have a coworker who was talking about a tiny 25" gelding she has... He's about 31" when measured with a stick.

Either way, if I'm not comfortable I don't sell.

Agree with disneyhorse. She's your horse, it's your right to sell or not sell to who you choose and for your own reasons.

I've met a few "22 inch minis" that easily dwarfed my 32" minis, you have to have a measuring stick on hand to convince them though.

Mmmm...22"? Serious? Well then they would beat Einstein
default_firstprize.gif

That is why I refuse to sell my 26" two year old filly. And that is measured with a stick! (full gelding brother is 26.50" at four)

Heck, I'm wary selling my 30" two year old filly!

I believe the lady is measuring incorrectly. You have the right to sell to whom you choose and if the vibes were not good I would not let her go there. I am constantly sending people to shop elsewhere. Reason being that I feel sorry for the people if they are clueless about minis and do not seem interested in learning I would feel even more sorry for a horse I let go there. If I ever sell a horse (and I admit that I have not) I want it to go to a home that I am very comfortable with. I have put lots of love and care into mine and even though allowing someone to purchase is a gamble that they will be a good owner I would not go with them if it gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

I agree that the lady is measuring incorrectly, but either way, if you're not comfortable selling to them, don't. You know best what's good for your horse. I had someone express a lot of interest in a mare of mine and when I started looking into them I found they were breeding a stallion that had produced dwarves. No way would I knowingly subject a mare to that. I've seen first hand what it does. You just keep the best interest of your mare in mind and don't worry about them. Again, I believe they are measuring wrong to beging with.

I can't tell you how many times uninformed people come to my farm and see Poopy or Raven or Pete and say "my (insert anything here) has one just like that, but only a LOT smaller!" Right. Of course they do.
default_whistling.gif

Well, I'd love to see her 22" horses. I haven't seen a mature one yet in person and can't imagine you can have a whole string of them. I too think she is measuring incorrectly but follow your instincts and never deal with anyone who makes you uncomfortable. If you're trying to sell your mare, a great home will come along and not a misinformed one. So, no you were not wrong in any way.

No, I think you're right on and something is very odd with that farm. We wouldn't let one of our girls go there, either.

She has to be measuring wrong...but she sent back that the 23 inch mare had foaled successfully 3 times to her 22 inch buckskin stallion. I sure hope she typed it wrong twice.it just struck a nerve...and if she does breed that small...i feel sorry for them.

That is weird. She must be measuring wrong, mazing how some people measure, or what they measure LOL !

When I read 22" my thought was that was the birth height.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not expert on the matter but I can't fathom doing this myself. While tiny is cute as a button, it isn't always the right thing to do. I encountered a similar scenario at a show yesterday and I could only shake my head because it was obvious the other folks involved did not want to be "educated" differently on the matter. I can only hope they are unsuccesful.

22"?? Really? She HAS to be measuring wrong...that's smaller than my Labrador!

Of course, it's probably wishful thinking....

It never ceases to amaze me how the first words out of someone's mouth can be "Oh my brother/cousin/aunt has fifty of those but they are all much smaller than that" when looking at something you have just off loaded for a show!

Apart from the fact that, as we all know, size or the lack of it is far form everything, that is just RUDE.

I used to answer with something like "Well, of course this is the biggest one I have got, all the others are under 15" tall" but nowadays I either roll my eyes and don't answer or just say that I think that is a very rude way of introducing yourself, and turn my back, depending on just how short of sleep I am!

That apart, there is another option to what these people are doing that everyone (except me) has been too polite to say. They are just not telling the truth in order to make more money......

Good lord, my 2month old foals are 26inches tall, mind you they are tall babies (gonna be 35 or more inches when done) but still, looking at them there is no way I can imagine a healthy full grown mini that tall.

That woman needs a lesson in measuring or she has some major dwarfs going on there. She should call Guiness World Bookof record!! :p

I am sure she is measuring wrong, 22 inch is SMALL, and i have not seen many of those even dwarfs that small when grown. The beauty of the situation is, you dont have to sell her anything!

She sent pictures,definitely dwarfs and almost that small as she claims...straight dwarfs bred together..a tiny stud in,the bacjground also,a mom dwarf and a dwarf foal also....i am just disgusted.

Latest posts

Back