Van conversion for mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sallylou96

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm new here!! I have always dreamed of having a couple of mini's to show and possibly breed in the future... I have a retired Highland and I exercise a big clydesdale cross.

I have a really random question about transporting mini's...
Is it possible to covert a van of some sort to transport them? Has anyone on here ever done something like this?

Thanks in advance

Welcome! And YES people do it all the time. You can use a regular size van or even a mini van (for minis! haha)
We used to use my mini van for transporting one or two. The back seats were easy to remove. Then, we'd put down a small tarp and a light weight rubber mat on top....the type that has holes designed into it, not a solid one. I think we bought it at Costco.

If you don't have a passenger to help with holding the mini's lead, it's a good idea to set up a sheet of plywood along the back sides of the front seats. We've done it both ways. I know of some folks actually built a wooden box insert for their van.

Welcome! And YES people do it all the time. You can use a regular size van or even a mini van (for minis! haha)
We used to use my mini van for transporting one or two. The back seats were easy to remove. Then, we'd put down a small tarp and a light weight rubber mat on top....the type that has holes designed into it, not a solid one. I think we bought it at Costco.

If you don't have a passenger to help with holding the mini's lead, it's a good idea to set up a sheet of plywood along the back sides of the front seats. We've done it both ways. I know of some folks actually built a wooden box insert for their van.

That's great to hear!! Thought I might of been being a bit daft 😂 Honestly feel like it could be a really good way for me to get around to shows, I'm quite comfortable driving my hubby's work vans and things 😊
So do you build a wee ramp or anything?

I have a Ram Promaster City cargo van. I made a cargo net that is secured to the anchor points near the sliding side door. I put a rubber mat in back, pour a 32 oz cup of PDZ approximately where the horses will pee, then top with large flake shavings. The boys easily jump in and out via the back door and I tie them to rings at the anchor points. I put my harness and boards in between the net and the seat backs. IF I'm using my cart it goes on a cargo tray that slips into the receiver hitch!

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_092005706~2.jpg
    IMG_20210302_092005706~2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 10
I'm in the planning stage of doing the same thing with my Mercury Villager. I found a thread on here from 2011 with a couple of pictures. I'm hoping to do something similar. Here's the link ... Our "Mini Van"
I also like this idea, just not sure if I would use steel bars. 1620580199777.png

My mini van was also a Mercury Villager! I agree that the bars aren't really necessary. But the picture sure is nice.
Cool! We were able to unscrew the back seat and remove the seat tracks in ours (a '98). The back seat wasn't designed to be removed. My husband is going to cover the bottom with plywood and I have a 3/4" 4'x6' stall mat that fits perfectly in there.
Isn't that stall pretty? I love what weebiscuit did (the pics in the link) in their van. So cute!

Latest posts

Back