Vaccines/Wormers/Trimming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secret Hills Ranch

Reaction score
I'm always curious as to what everyone else's schedule is for vaccines, worming and trimming their horses/minis. Also, does anyone know where you can find vaccines and wormers for a discounted price? And, for tapeworms do you rotate that in or just once every other worming give a half tapeworm dose?
smile.gif

I worm my horses every 2-3 months. Country Supply is have a sale on wormer right now. Ivermectrin is only $3.59! I just bought a bunch, there is no limit and they don't expire for a long time! My horses get their shots every 6 months and their feet trimmed as necessary which is about every 3-4 months. L

Horses get wormed every 6 weeks, I rotate..............

Safeguard

Ivermectin

Strongid

Ivermectin w/the Tapeworm Stuff

Oxibendazole

Trimming depends on the horse. Babies and yearlings every 4 weeks. Stallions and geldings every 10-12 weeks. Most of my broodmares do fine getting trimmed every 12 weeks, I have one special case who gets done every 6 weeks. My 3 big horses get trimmed every 12 weeks.

In the spring the horses need trimmed more often so it gets done more often than the above.

Vaccines, I don't show so everyone gets once yearly vaccines in April. I give WNV, 3 way sleeping sickness, Tetnus, Flu, and Rhino.

We don't do Rabies, Potomac, or Strangles.

Mares get Pneumabort at 5, 7, and 9 months.

Babies get first shots at 6 months.

We deworm when we trim. Foals every month the first year, then they rotate into the regular program. All others are trimmed/dewormed every 2 months, although in the summer it might go to three months on the older mares/stallions.

Once to twice a year we give Ivermectin Gold otherwise we rotate between and ivermectin type product and rotate with Pyrantel pamoate (what we deworm all foals with until 4-6 months), at double dose when it is given. We also use the Ivermectin liquid as I find less waste, easier giving it to horses, etc.

Vaccinations are given to all the minis except bred mares between January-March. Mares are vaccinated a month pripr to foaling.

Show horses are on a different program based on the show season.

Adults get dewormed every 2 months ruffly and the babies more often. They get there shots in the spring, normally April. I do not rotate dewormers, except once in the fall to get rid of bots. I havent seen worms in my horses ever.

I worm every eight weeks and trim at the same time- ideally. Sometimes I will miss one
smile.gif
I worm with Ivermectin and the Fenbendazole (Panacur) in Spring and Autumn to get encysteds. I do not worm routinely for Tapeworm. Contrary to popular opinion, if you have a good Lab and ask specifically, they can test for Tapeworm, segments not so easily eggs, without a blood test.

Latest posts

Back