Vaccines.. Can I combine two to give only one shot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Can Rabies and WNV vaccine go into the same syringe so that I don't have to give two shots? I am thinking probably not... what do you think?

I wouldn't do it...

When I have had the vet do shots, he draws everything up separately.

The number of shots never bothered me before, I don't think its an issue.

While I don't think there would be any issue mixing the two vaccines together, I wouldn't do it. Much easier just to do two shots. Honesly, its not a big deal!

You should not combine vaccines in the same syringe/injection site that are not labeled to be used together. Differant vaccines have differant adjuvants and antigens that can interfer with each other and cause a poor immune response. When using multiple vaccines it is best to put each injection in a differant location, neck, hip, rump, to allow the body to raise the best immune response.

Can Rabies and WNV vaccine go into the same syringe so that I don't have to give two shots? I am thinking probably not... what do you think?

Robin, I totally understand where you are coming from. That's why I love the 5-Way's and 6-Way's........

(We like using Prestige for those.) But for the Rabies and WNV, I wouldn't . They probably have two different "binders", and lord knows what would happen if the two different medications mixed.

Because of that, I would not even give them on the same day............

ok. Thanks all. That is what I thought too. Was just trying to avoid extra pain for the critters.

Robin

This is probably nothing the same, but I take two different kinds of insulin. A fast acting one before meals and a long acting one at night. In the product literature, it stresses not to mix or even use the same syringe as if you do and they mix at all, the long acting one is ineffective. Learning this only confirmed to me not to mix them (but I do use the commerically combined shots, like WNV+EWT), 5-ways for pregnant mares, etc.

Back