Vaccine question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
Lets just say you've just vaccinated your horse using a Fort Dodge VEWT and WN, killed virus and your mind is ahead of what you are doing and as you recap your needle for disposal you accidently poke yourself good on the tip of the thumb. About 6hrs later you are sicker than a dog with what feels like the flu. Is it mere coincidence and you really do have the flu or could the problem be from the poke with the needle? Just curious. One would think any risidual on the needle would not be enough to cause any problems.

Any thoughts??

Candice,

The things we vaccinate our horses against are not "cross species" viruses. For instance, if your horse has the flu, we won't catch it. However, we can get infections from being poked by a used needle.........which has happened to me!

One thing we CAN do is be CARRIERS for certain things and can infect other horses that way....ie, strangles and salmonella.

Thankyou Miniv. My Mom is a retired RN and not being sure what is in an equine vaccine she wasn't sure. I never catch colds. This really stinks!!

I have poked myself (but not deeply) too many times. I'm not very coordinated or graceful. Hope you are feeling a lot better now!

What is interesting is how sick I was last night when I posted this. And this morning I'm a LOT better feeling. Kinda weird. It came on so fast and is going away (at least it feels that way right now) so quickly. Who knows. I just found it odd.
default_wacko.png

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who tried to vaccinate myself...in the thumb!
default_smile.png
Glad you're feeling better!

Psh, I've been vaccinated so many times its not funny. I should be good for LIFE from Strangles, lol.

The one that REALLY scared me was the time I pricked myself with a sedative needle... there are sedatives out there that will kill humans with a very, very small dose. My thumb went numb for a good three hours, but luckily nothing more than that. In human hospitals/ambulances you are NEVER allowed to cap needles... they immediately get put in a sharps container, bare needle showing. Its safer than recapping, but, now you get to walk across the room with an open needle :p

Latest posts

Back