vaccine question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
I have a few horses that I am just now giving them their yearly vaccines. I know, a little behind :DOH!

Anyway, I gave them last May and June. If I am starting to give them now, will they need to be boostered again in 3-4 weeks? How long do the vaccines last? I give ewt + west nile. Thanks
default_smile.png

You only have to booster them if they haven't ever had the full series of the shots. Mine get that when they are weanlings or yearlings depending on when they became mine -- then there after, just one shot of each thing does it.

Thanks for answering my post Jill. I was just concerned that there has been too much time in between. I also do booster if they have not had any at all.
default_smile.png

Yearly shots here........unless they are going to be shown or be in an event with other horses. Then two or three weeks prior they get an extra.....

You should be fine to give just the one shot now, even though you are a bit late compared to last year.

I had asked my vet this exact question a year or two ago after a friend was a couple months "late" giving her horses their annual shots. I asked if because it had been 14-15 months since the last shots if just the one dose would be sufficient to protect the horses from EWT and WNV and she said there should be no problem at all. she said the only time she would suggest it was necessary to give the 2 shots again would be if the horse went without the annual boosters for 2-3 years.

Based on her answer I would just give the single shot in your case. Even though your horses probably have little or no immunity left from their 2007 shots, their immune systems will still "remember" the immunity created by the previous years' vaccines, and one dose now should stimulate them into a good immunity again.

You should be fine to give just the one shot now, even though you are a bit late compared to last year.

I had asked my vet this exact question a year or two ago after a friend was a couple months "late" giving her horses their annual shots. I asked if because it had been 14-15 months since the last shots if just the one dose would be sufficient to protect the horses from EWT and WNV and she said there should be no problem at all. she said the only time she would suggest it was necessary to give the 2 shots again would be if the horse went without the annual boosters for 2-3 years.

Based on her answer I would just give the single shot in your case. Even though your horses probably have little or no immunity left from their 2007 shots, their immune systems will still "remember" the immunity created by the previous years' vaccines, and one dose now should stimulate them into a good immunity again.

Thanks!! That is exactly what I was wondering.

Miniv, what shots do you give when you go to shows?

I'm not sure what MA does, but for our horses that go to shows, they get Flu/Rhino boosters. When I don't have anyone going to shows, I don't give these (which is logical per my vet).

Non-Showing and not pregnant, they get WNV, E/W Encephalitis, Tetanus (these first ones in a combo shot usually), and Rabies. If showing, then Flu/Rhino as well.

If in foal, then 30 days before foaling, a 5-way (e/w encephalitis, tetanus, flu and rhino) then post foaling a stand alone WNV shot and a rabies shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys only give shots once a year? We give twice a year down here. Spring and Fall, maybe its because of the heat. When the WNV was around vet wanted it given every 3 months. Kathy

Kathy --

I think part of the call on how often is how long the bug season lasts
default_yes.gif

Jill

Latest posts

Back