Vaccine Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
I normally get the 5-way shots for my horses and sometimes they feel punky the day after. Annie came to me without any prior information on shots last summer so I got her vaccinated right away and when she got the 5-way she was down for a few days. I had the vet out here for shots yesterday and when I told her about her reaction to the last round she suggested giving her a 4-way, and then she would swing by and give her the flu/rhino via nasal swab next Tuesday. So Annie has not been feeling well today, but certainly not as bad as last year.

My question is this: I read in a prior post here that the flu/rhino swab does not last as long as the shot. Is this true? Does anyone else do it this way? Does that mean she would need a booster in the fall?

Does your vet give the same amount of vaccine to your little ones as the dose for a biggie? If so, why is the worming dose less for a miniature?
I no longer vaccinate, as I've heard too many bad things about vaccines. And I had a bad reaction here one year. My sister's horse colicked and almost died after a round last fall. I think they are just a ploy of big pharma. And aren't most of them made in China? And after reading some things they do to develop them, I was horrified.
If I were in a boarding situation, I might do differently. But mine live at home an no longer to go shows.
jmo.

I haven't done any research on vaccines so thank you Marsha for sharing your concerns and perspective.

Our Play Days are resuming in a few weeks so we will be around all the participants and horses boarded there for training. I'm finding mosquito larvae in the water tubs here already so they are on their way. My neighbor got West Nile Virus a couple of years ago and she got very ill. I had no idea that it could attack a nervous system in extreem cases so I will most likely keep up with that vaccine every spring.

I do the 3-way vaccine plus West Nile. We have several cases here a year. The 3 way has the two sleeping sickness and tetanus. Around here vets want to give a 5 or even 7 way vaccine! That seems crazy to me every single year. I also only vaccinate every other year. I have to say I've been doing a lot of vaccine research the last few years. I've always believed we over vaccinate our animals/children. I would much rather titer test but my rural vet doesn't offer it. I think I can order DIY and send it in kits online now so I'll be doing those next year.

I titer Cappy for everything because he reacts so badly to vaccinations. I also titered Peanut and Cappy for rabies this year. They had immunity so no shot needed. Cappy also did not need E and W and West Nile for a couple of years, but did get a vaccination last year as we had an outbreak of EEW and WN locally.
The titers are quite expensive through my vet though :-(
When I do more than a four way we break them up into two visits.
I don't give rhino/flu so I can't help with that. My vet does think that vaccinations in general last longer than the "one year" we are led to beleive, but since there are no studies proving this, the yearly protocol is reccomended.
Banamine can help with the stiffness they can get from the vax and giving it in the butt helps too.
That's my ramble for the evening!

Thanks for the info Cayuse & MC. Thats a great idea. I'll have to check into my options around here for testing.

I did give Annie some Banimine and she was back to her old cheeky self in no time. Kriss had no reaction at all.

Hey Cayuse, another upside to the grazing muzzle for Annie is I don't have to worry about sunscreen on her nose when she is out in the pasture grazing. Win win!

Last edited:
Does your vet give the same amount of vaccine to your little ones as the dose for a biggie? If so, why is the worming dose less for a miniature?
I no longer vaccinate, as I've heard too many bad things about vaccines. And I had a bad reaction here one year. My sister's horse colicked and almost died after a round last fall. I think they are just a ploy of big pharma. And aren't most of them made in China? And after reading some things they do to develop them, I was horrified.
If I were in a boarding situation, I might do differently. But mine live at home an no longer to go shows.
jmo.

Willow, that is good to know about the grazing muzzle and sunscreen. Peanut has lupus on his nose and I have to keep it covered from the sun. I use a mesh shield that straps onto his halter and was wondering if a grazing muzzle would be a better option. He would think it's better I bet, then he could get out of his dry lot for awhile.
Are you using the Easy Breathe muzzle?

We use Prestige vaccines ONLY and never have had a bad reaction. We also don't give annual shots unless there's a horse traveling outside of our region. We tend to treat all of our animals like our kids.... It's important that they all get those important vaccines when young, but then they are good for a long time....There's been a study showing that 7 years seems to be a magic number for most vaccines in animals....which matches the tetanus shot for humans too. HOWEVER, if one gets a new horse and there's no health history, it's ALWAYS best to "start from scratch", IMO.

Willow, that is good to know about the grazing muzzle and sunscreen. Peanut has lupus on his nose and I have to keep it covered from the sun. I use a mesh shield that straps onto his halter and was wondering if a grazing muzzle would be a better option. He would think it's better I bet, then he could get out of his dry lot for awhile.
Are you using the Easy Breathe muzzle?
I ended up getting the Tough One with the halter because I have to lead her out to the pasture every morning. It is working out great for her. She always wants me to put it on because she knows what it means.

Latest posts

Back