Vaccinations for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
My mini's both had Flu-Rhino, West Nile & Rabies a month ago. They need the WN booster and Strangles internasal. My question is: do you give the WN shot in the hindquarters or the neck?Have been hearing minis have less muscle mass so the hind is preferable. Also, dosage- do you give it according to weight or just the entire vial?The vet did the last set of shots etc. but it is very hard to get him to come out here (quite isolated!). The guy coming to give the West Nile booster and the Strangles is a trainer here on the Ranch with decades of experience. HOWEVER.....that may not include mini's and I know things are a little different. So I thought I would ask all the mini experts here on the wonderful forum!

Thank you!

ps. does the Strangles internasal require a booster?

Vaccinations are the same dosage as for a full sized horse. We give them in the hind end muscle. You need to check with your vet regarding the Strangles internasal........We have always had our vet do that one.

Thank you. I will let him know to inject in the hind end. He will know what to do..it is just that mini's are a little different so always good to benefit from the wealth of experience on the forum!
default_smile.png

I always give my horses their vaccinations on the neck, but from what I have read here I am in the minority.

I always give my horses their vaccinations on the neck, but from what I have read here I am in the minority.
I usually give shots in the neck, also. I work alone, so its easier to use the neck, as I don't like to tie to give shots. If I have help, then I have used the butt muscle, but not often.

The vaccines are the same dosage big or small which is stupid! =) I give mine in the neck only because my minis had bad reactions in the hind end, but my Andalusian does better with them in the butt - it all depends on the horse. Be careful with the Strangles vaccine - it does need a booster and it is a LIVE vaccine (like Rabies). Make sure the tube is inserted quite far, squirt then move away as they always sneeze it out! LOL

I do butt here, when we have done their necks they get so sore they won't even put their heads down to graze. Kathy

Latest posts

Back