Vaccination needle broke off in friends colt!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
I got a call a couple hours ago and that is what they told me.

They could feel the broken needle under the skin after they talked to the vet . The vet told them to just watch for infection. So they called for my advice. I was clueless since I have never had that to happen before. (Vets are slim pickin's around here.) I told them that while I was sure of the sight area, I would shave that area. And although I know nothing about what to do, if they couldn't get it taken care of, mabe they could take some chewing tobacco, moisten it and cover the sight to try to draw it out??, an old time remedy.) But I had to wait until now to get the chance to get with you all to see what can be done.

So...???

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had no other options, I would shave the area really close, put some drawing sort of salve or ointment on it and then put a bandage on it. It will probably fester--sort of like a splinter in my hand and then you can squeeze or lance it to get it out. It may even work out on its own--then it would be in the bandage for you to see. I would then keep it clean and covered for a few days and watch for infection. A dose of penicillin probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Good luck.

Angie

Angie, do they make a drawing salve? That was what I was thinking myself, if they have no other option. The tobacco was the only thing I could think of that draws. It concerns me to think that couldn't it possibly, instead of drawing out, work it's way deeper, causing harm and pain? I am picturing how muscles work and it just seems to me that it stands a great chance of working deeper.

lilhorselady.... I agree. It doesn't make sense to me either about the vets advice.

I've never had a needle that was weak enough to break off like that! It is quite concerning to me. Are the makers trying to cut corners and make cheaper quality needles?

I told my friends they need to complain to the makers of the needles and tell them they were going to be receiving a vet bill they better think hard about paying for.

There is a drawing salve...its thick, black goop...I used it over 20yrs ago on a big horse with a bad reaction to a shot the vet gave...granted nothing was stuck under my horses skin...but my vet had me use hot compresses and this drawing salve. I want to say the spelling started with an "i" like "ic....something" almost reminded me of the stuff to make kids throw up something they swallow...spelling wise. Sorry I cant remember the name...but I got it at the local pharmacy. Call a pharmacy and ask about a drawing salve.

Good luck.

Black drawing salve is ichthamal - you can get it at a drugstore. Fantastic stuff.

Barbie

Oh no....how scary! I have some black goopy stuff here called Iosal. It smells like black licorice, but it says it is for sore muscles, sprains etc. Anyway, I hope that colt will be OK!!

My grandmother had a sewing machine needle break off in her thumb. They thought they got the whole thing out. Twenty years later the tip of the needle popped through her nail. I know a thumb is not like a neck. I think I would be afraid it would migrate in the horse since it is in a fleshy area. I think I would tell the vet to remove it.

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I can only imagine how uncomfortable/painful this must be...having a needle constantly poking you??????

First off, WHO was giving the vaccine? Was it the owner? A vet?

If it was the owner, I'd bring the vet ASAP to a surgical center to have it removed.

If it was a vet, their malpractice insurance would cover the surgical removal.

If it was someone else, their pocketbook will pay for the removal of the needle, since they were illegally practicing medicine.

Just a thought. Is there a way they can cut tip of the place where the needle is and squeeze it out. I know it would be painful, but maybe they could sedate the horse a bit. Kind of like how you would squeeze a sliver out of your hand??? Poor horse!

Never had this happen, but I've been told when a needle breaks off in your body, it can travel. Sewing needles or hypodermic ones. I don't know if this is an old wife's tale or what, but I'd sure be taking the horse into a vet and letting him check it out.

Porcupine quills can travel and they are very very needle-like.

Good luck!

I didn't see where they said the needle was broken off at. But if it were my animal I would get it to the vet, get xrays to determine exactly were the needle is located and get it removed. It could migrate deeper in the tissue and if it is the neck that could be real dangerous.

Messing around at the site the needle was broken off at could drive the needle deeper in the tissue. Get a vet.

if they can feel it perhaps they can use something like needle nose pliers and get ahold of it. The industrial magnet might be a good idea to work it up towards the skin but not sure.

I hope you get back to us and let us know the results, if any.

I have had lots of nightmares of this same thing happening, when a horse suddenly lunges while being needled.

Update***

The owner was able to feel it under the skin after a bit. Recalled the vet, vet came out. ave anethes. and cut the area open. Could not locate the broken needle anywhere. Bandaged the open spot (or something, not sure what he did with the site) and was told to watch it and keep it clean.

The owner was the one who had tried to administer the vacc. He was putting it in the hip. The horse moved. No flinching or anything, just moved a little and the needle snapped. I don't know how much of the needle, but apparently enough to be able to feel it under the skin.

We were talking about a strong magnet as well, but if the needle is laying sideways then it wouldn't be able to pull it up if a needle is magnetic.

I agree about the traveling of the needle. That is what concerns me as well. And it isn't like those muscles are stationary so the needle will be moving around.

The vet didn't charge them anything for the visit. I just hope and pray that the needle works it's way out and doesn't do anything damaging.

I doubt that a magnet would work - needles are surgical stainless and magnets need a ferrous metal to attract them - that would be carbon steel or iron, but definately not stainless. I would NOT want it left in there
default_new_shocked.gif
I would think it would show up on an ultrasound and be able to be located and removed.

Latest posts

Back