Vaccinating pregnant mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
My mare was due in two weeks and had a bag and sticky milk , so ready anytime. Yesterday the vet vaccinated (3 way springtime) all the horses, including the mare. This afternoon I found her with the foal half out, dead and hip locked. A 10 second 180 degree twist and pull extracted the foal. I am now wondering if I lost the filly from delayed foaling because of hip lock or was she aborting a dead foal. Any possibility the vaccination should have been delayed till after foaling?

I can't say the two things are related. Sorry for your loss. Most breeders recommend vaccinating 30 days in advance. Many may tell you you probably should of held off vaccinating her until after foaling. I'm surprised the vet vaccinated, since they learn that in vet school.

First I am so very sorry for your loss, this is heartbreaking. Please accept my condolences.

I'd like to ask did your Vet know she was bagged and her milk already sticky? I ask because at that point the vaccination would have very little impact on the colostrum since it was already being made. I would have just had the Vet out to give a tetanus antitoxin after birth. From your description I would say the foal was lost due to the dystocia.

I am sorry for your loss, but if your mare was bagged up with thick, sticky milk, she was definitely ready to foal. Further to that, if the foal was hip locked, I feel that is what probably caused the loss while being born. I personally don;t see it as being vaccination responsible, because of those circumstances.

So sorry for your loss, and I hope your little mare is OK and made it through until help arrived.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with Mona. The mare was ready to foal and at that late stage the vaccine would have no effect. The foal death was surely due to the hip lock.

Thanks. I am of the same opinion. Just regret not being there for her. Of course, a very nice r/w pinto filly.

Latest posts

Back