Using the Mare Stare video replays as a Learning Tool

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
This year I have been replaying my mares last birth video and using that information to plan on their current foaling.

It worked with Kitty Hawk. The same senerio was unfolding, but this time with different results as I changed my technique after watching the previous video.

I know every birth is different, but it may prove helpful to use these replays to plan better for the upcoming birth.

I think your correct.....I plan on putting the dang phone down or at the very least getting a head set so when my birthing coach is talking me through things I wont have to hold on to the dang life line. Everything I had planned went right out the window...and I was really organized the night before. guess thats what happens on the first foaling experience. Thank heavens I do have a beautiful foal out in the barn as a result and I do believe watching all the MS video births prior to Cams birth did indeed help.

I know I watch all your videos on your foals just to see different scenarios and and become more and more familiar with miniature births. Your videos have always helped me!

I was not suggesting watching MY foaling videos, though if they are helping you....go for it!

But I did find this year that watching what occured on the previous foaling MAY be repeated and I could possibly learn from watching them how to change my technique.

For instance, on Kitty Hawk's last birth two years ago, when I was trying to get the foal out the mare just followed me around the barn as I was pulling. This year I placed my leg behind her back legs and was able to pull the foal out without the dam following me around the stall as I was pulling. Yea, I probably had a few bruses, but the foal came out much more efficently!

I think it is a wonderful idea, and letting others watch is very generous. I have always welcomed people to my farm via the internet. I had to have the vet out one time to cut out a baby with a fetatone, i told the people hosting to leave the cameras on as i thought it may be educational for people to see. The Vet was OK with it, and i was, but i think they thought it may be a little graphic for the general population. They tuned them back on when the mare was cleaned up, and that was ok. IT does not take long to get a baby out when you use a fetatone. I wished i could have filmed it, and those that felt they needed to watch could have. Seeing how others handle things is a good in my opinion. I am extremely happy if anyone can get and use anything out of my videos.

Latest posts

Back