Using An Ice Sled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
I passed up buying an ice sled today, thinking I could rig it up for one of my miniatures to haul. Has anyone ever used one before or has any other ideas for a sled? I was thinking it might be fun to try hauling firewood, hay ect... or maybe myself in the winter. Thanks.

61Ze2uM2lIL._SY355_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking. It would be really easy to do, I will probably have to make a trip back to Cabela's. haha I've been searching for a mini sleigh but have had no luck in my area.

I have one rigged up for hauling manure--I just attached two big snaps and then snap them onto rings on my traces. I only hitch to a horse when it's loaded. Empty--it slides much too easy and runs up on the horse's heels. I don't use it much. If I did I would put shafts on it to make it safer.

Love my chore sleds. Besides my manure sled I have 4 hay sleds.. two small and two larger ones, one bigger sled that gets used for a variety of purposes and two small ones that I haul water tubs on in winter. Great things to have!!

I used a plastic tobbogan, I know I spelled that wrong! Like Minimor, I used it to haul the manure tubs last year when getting to the manure pile with a wheel barrow was impossible. I also only used it loaded as it would slide around too much empty.

Living on hilly property, I have held off out of concern that there was nothing to keep the sled from coming up on my horses' heels. I had thought of attaching shafts, but Patty Kramps of Patty's Place beat me to it. They suggest an Otter sled from Cabela's, which is designed to be towed by an ATV and have attachment that works with shafts. They are marketing this setup for recreational sledding, but I'd also like to use it at the beach and for using miniature horse power for hauling branches and other things around the place.

Patty's Place shaft system

http://www.pattysponyplace.com/winter-fun---shaft-system.html

Part of our property is on a slope, but I have made a ring to drive in. Also part of out pasture is quite flat, I am fairly lucky I can avoid the hills. That is too funny, the Otter sled at Cabela's is what I am looking at. I think I am going back this weekend to get one. Thank you for the link.

Another consideration, at least for us old farts...

I have this fear of sitting down in the sled, getting cold, and then not being able to get out...okay, so I exaggerate...

But seriously, I've seen some strap down a bale of straw to sit upon, and this sounds better, though perhaps top heavy. I wonder how a few flakes would do?

Harness expert Barb Lee recently mentioned using a cheap plastic sled on the beach, saying that she hydroplaned through the water. I think this would be a blast, as long as there were shafts to keep from running up on the horse's heels. Do you suppose that with Mingus' size and strength I could windsurf? Whee!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like I'm done with winter...moving on to summer...

Latest posts

Back