Use of Regamate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesa

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have bred my first mare and she was just confirmed in foal at 21 days on Friday. She was at a farm for 3 months, and finally caught on her June season after much expense in ultrasounds and vet calls. The breeder suggests that I put her on regamate for 3 months to play it safe. I would like your input on using regamate. My mare is a maiden mare, this will be her first foal. Thanks for any information on this subject.

If the mare is sound- ie no obvious reason why she should lose, I can see no advantage to using drugs on her. Added to which I find first foals y=tend to stay put no matter what. My friend jumped her mare up to three days before she foaled, serious Show jumping- though in her defence I must say the mare had been confirmed not in foal!!

I would only use Regumate if there was a problem with the pregnancy. Just because it took her awhile to get in foal doesn't mean she's likely to lose it if not on Regumate. And Regumate won't stop a mare from aborting 100% of the time.

We used Regumate on mare that threatened to abort. The vet thought she must have had some kind of infection, so we treated her with antibiotics and put her on the Regumate during that time. Then, we just left her on the Regumate until she foaled. She had no problems with her first pregnancy.

ThreeCFarm said:
I would only use Regumate if there was a problem with the pregnancy.  Just because it took her awhile to get in foal doesn't mean she's likely to lose it if not on Regumate.  And Regumate won't stop a mare from aborting 100% of the time.

432278[/snapback]

I agree. And a maiden mare is the least likely to need regumate, imo.

I'm one who doesn't believe in using drugs to keep a pregnancy in most cases. If the mare has had no problems in the past and for some reason develops an infection, treat the infection. Often a mare that has a chronic problem staying pregnant and is labelled a "regumate mare" shouldn't be a candidate as a breeding animal, imo.

MA

Thanks so much for your info. I did not want to use Regamate, being this is her first pregancy and there is no reason, just as a precautionary measure. I will let her pregancy progress normally and am looking forward to my first experience to being on mare watch!
smile.gif

Congratulations Lesa! Oh I bet you just cannot wait to have your very first foal. You must just be bursting with excitement!
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back