US riders EQuiestrian motor Plan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
My mom enrolled me in this service last year for Christmas since i travel to show's a lot. she's always worried i'll break down or whatever (and yes it has happend a few times with the horses). it's one of the only motorist plans that will cover horses/trailers. I haven't had to use it . Well a couple weeks ago i was at a horse auction in what seemed like nowhereville kentucky. I locked myself out of the car I called all over creation to try to get the emergency number. I called my mom who lives in New Mexico to do an online web page search fr their number. Turned out it was only the corporate office number listed which is closed on weekends and the recording said 'if this is an emergency and you need assistance please call the number on the back of your card". Well guess where the card was!!?? yep you guessed it locked in the car. I ended up having to have the sherrif come pop my lock. Anyways i've been quite miffed about it. I finally got around to making a call to voice my complaint. To me what good is the stupid program if the only number available is on the back of your card that could be anyplace (apparently you should tattoo it onto your body). I told her what happend and how i felt it was pretty useless if the only number you have is on the back of the card in the car or whatever.

Anyhow the woman was very nice... but i'm not at all appeased with the answers they gave me. First thing she said was "well we've had a lot of complaints about that. The ONLY place the number is located is on the back of your card it is not listed anyplace else'. (hello if you have a lot of complaints maybe you should fix the problem somehow) She went on to say 'We do this for security reasons'. Sorry but that's a load of hogwash. AS far as i've seen almost every other motorist program has their emergency number quite available and i'm not sure how they run their "security" but if they must have some sort of proceedure. If you are a member they have you on file and it should NOT be a security issue for the most part. the person coming out the rescue should ask for a drivers lisence or whatever (take a lisence plate number) and if that person was not a member should be charged. honestly i'm VERY dissapointed with this. it's not a cheap program and quite frankly what use is it if your in an emerency if you don't happen to have the card right on you?? locking your keys out for the most part is not nessarily a horrible end of the world life expeience but what if you get into an accident and your purse flys out the window or WHATEVER (believe me when i say WEIRD things happen to me all the time).... I expressed this to the woman on the phone and her comment was 'well we keep close records on emergenys and i can tell you it's very rare there are any problems much more serious than locked in keys".. I'm sorry that's not the answer i wanted to hear (not to mention now i wonder how many people in emergencys can actually USE the program..which would make the numbers even smaller..lol). I dont' care if my chances are 1 in 200 billion but i darned well want to be able to get assistance (that i've paid for) if i need it weather i have the card on my body or not!!

Needless to say i'm very seriously contemplating NOT renewing it since it's comming up for renewal the end of this month.

I wanted to share this, incase anyone is interested in the program, as I feel that it's kind of a cop out for them to not have to provide assistance if they can't be reached. perhaps i'm over reacting or whatever but i feel it's a junk service if you can't use it when you need it.

anyone else think it sounds kinda like a cop-out??

Boinky...you are SOOO lucky to even have such a program. I haven't found a like program here at all. None of the one's we have available, "do" horse trailers.
default_sad.png

I agree, it would be terribly aggravating, and I would ask them for a return on what it cost you to have your locks popped...you might get your $$ back. But...aside from that, I have heard so many positive things about these guys on several forums and lists, about how they go far-far-far out of their way for their customers and their horses.

I so wish I could find a similar program here.
default_smile.png

I have nothing but praise for US Riders. I've used their services a good half dozen times in the past two years (only once for my trailer! I had a lug wrench for the SPARE tire, but it wasn't the same size as the axle tires!!!!! grrrrr). Their full service, vet service, semi truck service, etc are UNMATCHED by any other plan. While I do sympathize with you for your problems with them, I can't say that I've ever had that problem. I'm a guy, and carry the tag in my wallet which I always have one me (whereas women generally leave theirs on the keys or in a purse, and don't always have them avalible). I will be continuing with my membership for the indefinate future!

I've had to use them a couple of times, and have had good luck with them. Sure seems like they could put the emergency number where you could find it though. Might be a good idea for future reference - until they get smart about it - to put an extra card in the horse trailer & maybe write it yourself on something you can adhere to your windshield.

Jan

write it yourself on something you can adhere to your windshield.
The insurance company I have the policy I do have, issues a clear static-stick tag with the emergency number on it...which is made to adhere to the windshield.

I do not understand the Rider's 'We do this for security reasons', at all. One must call them first to get any action...and as a membver, you would be on file...so like you asked...where's the security problem?

My trainer has only had to use them once, but she travels alot and won't unless she's covered by them. We had to use them once when travelling south and her truck broke down at an equine clinic. She called them and they were there in less than 30 minutes to tow her truck and had another truck available to haul her horses if need be. My trainer's husband came to get us.

I'd try to make sure you have their number in multiiple locations on truck/trailer.

I've heard nothing but good things about them. My friend joined before we went to the National Drive. I plan on joining after the first of the year, I have AAA right now. If you have a cell phone that you keep on your person maybe you should put their emergency number in it. I also keep important info in my tack box in the trailer. Kathy

Latest posts

Back