US horse population

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
A little while ago there was a thread about number of horses in the US, mini horse population was mentioned in the HI mini article and someone asked how many horses in the US. Well, anyway, I received my October HI issue today and there is a short paragraph about the US horse population. There are approximately 9.2 million horses in the US. About 1.96 million American's own horses. There is a link for more information: www.horsecounsil.org I haven't checked out the link yet.

That's pretty cool
biggrin.gif
! I wonder how they figured that out?

Wow!

That means that 1 out of every 63 Americans is involved with horses.
And gee....this statement sure isn't true around here!! You know you're getting surrounded by 'city folk' when they ask if your driving horse's feet(paws??) get hot on the pavement.....
new_shocked.gif
(I had two people ask that on one drive...only about a mile and a half long drive too!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that number sounds low. It seems I saw some statistics not to long ago where there were 3.2 million horses just in Texas. I would not be surprised to find out the actual number was much higher.

Well, Texas was one of the top three states for horse population, so it could still be close.

Back