Urine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Well after a botched attempt of taping a cup to my horses behind to get a urine sample for a pregnancy test I need some info.

How often do horses urinate??

She just went I happened to be watching at the time and saw her pee completely miss the cup
default_sad.png

After all the effort taping it to her to get it in the right spot! When she lifted her tail it must have moved and it missed. This morning I managed to get a lovely cup of poo from her lol but thats it.

Any help regarding collection would be great aswell. She is out in the yard not stabled. I have heard of using a sanitary pad? Anyone tried this does it affect the result in any way??

Thanks

I put my mare in a clean stall take my chair in there and sit and wait. I usually only have to wait less than 5 minutes. Something about a clean stall makes mine want to pee.

Yup! Take her into a clean stall, tape the cup to a stick, rustle straw and whistle. Good luck! Brings to mind those long waits after the races......

If this is for the Wee Foal test, if you see her pee and miss it, you can take the piece of tissue or paper towel you need to be carrying around in your pocket and just sop some up!! That's what I did and it worked just fine. The clean stall works for ours, or when they see supper coming! Good luck.

I have had great luck using duct tape and a maxi pad or even a pantiliner. HAHA. Tape it so it hangs down far and it will usually catch more than enough for the test. I just come back about every hour on the hour until its done. Usually not long.

Thanks very much for the replies
default_yes.gif

Its not possible to lock her in a stall as they are just walk in. Tried whistling (for about an hour lol)

Perhaps I will try the pad tomorrow. Anyone that drives past will think im insane pmsl

Also didnt know I could 'soak some up' will keep a paper towel in my pocket (great tip)

Thanks again for the advise
default_smile.png

A nice clean horse trailer/stock trailer seems to get many going too. I have two that barely get into the trailer and they are leaving me a present of some sort, usually manure, but pee too.

The first timeI did the panty liner directing it into a dixie cup with a paper towel in the cup. The second time the same , but came out to find she rolled and that was messy but still had the wet paper towel.

This last time I just waited. Find a way to block her in the stall, rope or what not, then give her a bucket of water and plenty of dry hay. Helps make her thirsty! LOL.

Then grab a chair and a good book. Heck you need the break/ rest anyway, right?!
default_wink.png

When she goes to wee collect it right from the stream into your cup and there you go. BTW it took me 2 hours that way. But the book was good and the time went fast. Bonny liked the company and got lots of scratches.

Best of luck in your collection and let us know the results!!
default_yes.gif

Thanks again

It really isnt possible to sit out there for ages as I have a baby and my husband is working late tonight . Have just done the sanitary pad setup so fingers crossed that gets some results.

Bonny - Sadly I dont think shes in foal (95% sure shes not) but being a maiden I thought its better to be safe and double check
default_smile.png
it would be a lovely surpise though.

Thanks
default_biggrin.png

I put on a fly sheet, and attach a hand towel to it, so that she'd pee on the towel. On the towel I stick a maxi pad. Then just squeeze the urine out of the pad. Works great! I try to do this first thing in the morning, as mine tend to pee while I start feeding (and I feed the big horses first, so the minis have usually peed by the time I get to them)

Jessi

Latest posts

Back