URGENT NEED HELP QUICK!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
A dear friend and neighbor knows someone that wants to bring home a "free" horse. A woman purchased this horse at an auction and brought it home and now she wants to give it away. When we went to see the horse, the woman couldn't get near the poor mare. She's eight years old, and every single bone on her body was showing, and the woman says she's really doing so much better then she was. Our little son whose eight years old was the only one able to get near it.

Okay, here's the problem. Our neighbor's wife doesn't really want the animal, but her husband does, and they want me to come over their house in an hour or so to discuss them having this animal. They have never owned a horse before, they know nothing of horses, and rely on me for advice. I feel that a novice with a rescue would be a bad idea, and I need some ammo on why it would be a bad idea. HELP!

Our dear neighbors (who feel like family) are wonderful caring animal lovers, but right now they have emu's, 100 goats, ducks, chickens, pigs, a mini donkey, rabbits, turkeys, turtles, cats, 10 large dogs, and I think this might be a bit more then they need right now.

On the one hand, I'd like to see the horse get out of the current situation, but on the other hand, I really don't want to see the horse put in a situation where it is one of many who need and want care, if you KWIM?

Anyone have any advice on what I can say, so that this couple won't take on another animal that needs to be rescued. Does that make sense?

Hi

This is probably too late, but just simply tell her of the cost and problems involved in taking care of a horse (Not mini?) in that condition. It needs specialized care. feed and meds and should not be left to a novice in horses. Let us know if we can help.

Ginny StP

I think the main thing is to be honest with them on all you know about care and feeding and all that goes with a "wild" rescue. There is a big danger there as well. If don't know what you are doing ......and sometime if you do ,you can get seriously injured! Or the horse can get injured,if it is spooky and afraid of people.

Would they consider getting the horse and fostering it until a rescue could place it,in a horsey home?

If they can afford it and are determined all you can do is offer guidance.

I have big horse rescues and know about the work,vet bills,danger associated with them.

Your friend's heart is obviously in the right place.

I would like to know if we are discussing a mini/pony/ or big horse here first.

But I can tell you that in my life I have gotten to be very good about discouraging people against buying horses.

I tell them just what my life is like:

I can't go on a vacation. Nor a real day trip without worrying I will be home late to feed and something will happen. Heck, I don't even know what a vacation is really like.

Money: It's always shoveling money into them day in and day out. It never stops like a human child in need. You have to plan your life around the horse. Atleast I sure do.

VET BILLS: that ought to do it. One good vet bill can put you into a real bind if you don't have quite a nice stash.

Liability: If some one comes on their property wanting to see the nice horsey and he gets hurt, there goes a law suit.

A horse that is already down and "out-ish" and with a possibly of in need of a "MENTAL TIDY" should only be handeled by someone with experience of bringing horses "back" or they can do more harm than good, unless they have a vet right there handy to consult with on a weekly basis.

NOTE: If this horse is a big horse, I would say absolutely no, and to take some riding lessons first from a professional stable that teaches a complete course in basic horsemanship

HELP! It's still not to late. The woman with this rescue horse has now offered to pay our neighbor $350.00s to take the horse. I've tried to tell him, that with a full size horse that could be practically NOTHING when it comes to vet bills. He thinks he can take it and feed it and it's going to get better and then he can easily find another home for it.

I'm freaking over this. The woman that has it, has had it since Dec. and says that the horse looks 1000 times better, since she got it in Dec. She says there is nothing wrong with the horse that good nutrition won't help. Our dear horse friends that own a gorgeous TB farm have told them over and over that it's not what you see on the outside, it's what's on the inside that's going on, and that this isn't a horse for novices. Our neighbor wanted us to take her, and I said .. NO... because I admit that I"m a novice... I"ll still consider myself a novice many years from now, knowing horses is something that takes much time, dedicaiton and love for horses. I love horses, and we have three mini's, and now one full size, (but being boarded, becaue I don't know horses).

If another home could be found for this poor full size horse I think that I could talk him out of it... can anyone hook me up with a Rescue in North Central Fl? The mare is a Leopard Appy (I believe).. not certain. I believe she has had a foal before. She looks about 16 hands, but her hoofs haven't been done is in awlful long time. Her hind end is the worst, and there seems not to be any muscle at all left in her hind quarters. She is almost impossible to catch.. (she would only let my eight year old approach her when he had treats in his hand). She was very affectionate towards my son, and seems easy to work with when she did have a lead on. I was able to check her hoofs, and they had not been cleaned in a very long time. I was able to lift the front hoofs, but did not attempt the back.

The ONE big thing that would stop our neighbor from bringing the horse home this week is IF THERE IS A DISEASE the horse could have that might be contagious to his beloved GOATS. He still says that because she is being pastured with another horse there is no possibility of a contagious disease.

Her teeth don't look bad at all, which was a surprise, but something just isn't right with this horse to be all bones.

On top of it, our dear friend and neighbor wants to put up a 4x4 cow fence for her... I cannot imagine if this difficult to catch horse got over the fence!

Any suggestions... info... anything, I'd really appreciate. Even a rescue website that I could forward to him... horror stories.. anything.. HELP!!!!

The only good thing so far is that they have signed up for riding lessons where I'm buying the QH from... (they won't be allowed on our three year old). Neighbor's dear wife is terrified of horses... but she's gonna try lessons too.

You know the saying.. "If Mama ain't happy, NO ONE's HAPPY"... I'm afraid that if they run into big problems... my neighbors are gonna end up splitting up.

HELP! OH, with 100 goats, seven emu's, at least a 100 chickens.... free roaming, a mini donkey, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, turtles, and exotic birds... I cannot remotely imagine having a horse added to that list for just two people to care for, and one of which is terrified of horses...

Sorry to be so long winded... but ... I'm scared for the horse, the neighbors, and even the neighborhood.

Thanks everyone for your support... neighbor feels that I'm jealous he's getting a free horse, and now one that he's getting paid to take!

First of all, if this woman is willing to PAY someone to Take the horse - that should ring major warning bells.

I looked up some Florida rescues and here is what I found, maybe you can contact them. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Equine Rescue and Adoption Foundation, Inc.

10152 W. Indiantown Road, Suite 136, Jupiter, FL 33478

(561) 627-1198

Helpers,Organizing,Rescue,Service,Eduction

Nonprofit 501 © Organization

5236 International Ave. Mims, FL 32754

321-383-9636 [email protected]

Horse Protection

Association of Florida

A Non-Profit, Tax Exempt 501©(3) Horse Welfare Organization

Contact Information

Telephone: 352-466-4366 Fax: 352-466-4072

Postal address:

20690 NW 130th Avenue

Micanopy, Florida 32667

e-mail: [email protected]

I wonder why if the owner needs to move this horse so badly she hasnt contacted a rescue group there to take the horse?? Angie thanks for posting those! please have her call them i feel sure they can help

I called the one in Miconpy, which is very very close to where the horse is located. I reached the answering machine. I also called our neighbors and asked them to call back, so I could also give them the info for the rescue place. Our neighbor has some friends that work on some of the TB training centers, and he seems to think that no matter what the problem was, they would help him. I get so upset with these people because they don't own horses, they just clean up around them. KWIM???

And Yeah.. when she's paying someone to take care of it, there has to be a reason. This woman's living conditions were less then ideal. I was there, but don't know her address, but she'd be easy to find again. I just hope the neighbors come to their senses. I keep telling them, that she might be sweet now, (probably because she's so weak, but who knows what she'll be like when she feels better.

Also, the woman keeps saying that she worms monthly... I've heard of many worming routines... but monthly?? I mean.. what is that all about?? And, she doesn't look wormy.. she looks starved!

Well, right now, I'm praying for her... guess that all I can do this moment.

I got the ferrier and his wife involved and they own a gorgeous TB/QH farm where we board...(our new QH).. so they are taking an active interest and told me not to worry, and just keep praying for this horse right now. Hubby who is A/D Coast Guard is comming home today... he'll know what to do... what a blessing... for us.. But any praying people out there, please pray for this horse too. God Bless... Lynn

I`ll be praying
yes.gif
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back