Urgent! Florida horse needs to be moved

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gini

Reaction score
Help needed... Transport and fostering

Just received a call from a lady in FL. She and her Mother rescued and rehabilitated 5 horses.

They are all doing well except this mare. She is approx 6yrs old and needs

our help. She has a bad case of the Heaves. She is being treated and medicated

for this but she isn't getting better. They will be turning her over to CMHR asap.

We urgently need help in fostering and transporting this mare to a cooler climate.

Thanks

Gini

Last edited by a moderator:
also please be aware this mare is in foal for april 2006. I really feel that this mare would be fine in a cooler climate. Currently shes only been given over the counter meds.

I dont know what hot weather does for the heaves, but we used to own a mare that had them. We are in WI where it is cooler, she still had them just as bad if not worse in the fall/winter as in the spring/summer.

Ashley said:
I dont know what hot weather does for the heaves, but we used to own a mare that had them.  We are in WI where it is cooler, she still had them just as bad if not worse in the fall/winter as in the spring/summer.
453787[/snapback]

Isn't heaves aggravated by dust? Which is why alot of horses with heaves are on soaked pellet diets of some sort, as hay dust aggravates the condition. I don't know how the cooler climate would affect the horse.

My friend has a mare with Heaves. This mare came from FL too. She is on the perscription meds and can not be pregnant/on meds at the same time. She had her last foal last year and then they put her on the meds. Our climate is dry and does get pretty warm in the summer. She does OK as long as she is on her meds. They do soak her hay to reduce that dust and she is kept on a dry lot. That part doesn't seem to bother her too much though.

I could foster her for a while and see if our dry climate would suit her better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could foster her here in Massachusetts. I've had to care for horses with heaves at barns I worked at. So I know what to do and we were looking for another horse anyways. If you could get her up here I think she would be okay. It's only really hot 2-3 months out of the year and like I said the other horses I've cared for have turned out fine up here. Let me know. What I mean by really hot is 90's with some humidity, but not bad usually.

Christy
saludando.gif

Last edited:
Wish I could help, but can't.

But mares with heaves usually will not carry to term if bred. They cannot get enough oxygen into their lungs to support both themselves and the developing foal. If she has not already lost the foal, be prepared for an abortion later on.

We had a mare who would never carry past 40 days because of heaves, and last year a mare who had just been diagnosed and had them very mildly aborted at 9 months.

i have ginger another rescue mare here that has heaves. she is not near as bad in fall or spring. she only gets heavy when its hot or shes stressed or eats dusty hay. So i do think taking her out of such a hot climate will help.

I also advised them to put her on ventlyn syrup (albuterol) instead of over the counter stuff but this was met with resistence.

She did carry a foal to term and foaled in March of this year and then was immediately bred back. NO papers on her or the stallion she was bred to.

kaykay said:
i have ginger another rescue mare here that has heaves.  she is not near as bad in fall or spring.  she only gets heavy when its hot or shes stressed or eats dusty hay.  So i do think taking her out of such a hot climate will help.
454164[/snapback]

In reading this, I agree that it is most likely the dust factor causing the worse heaves episodes. If you think about it, Spring and Fall brings much more rain than summer, so even though you may be equating it(the worse episodes) to the heat, it may be actually be due to the increased micro dust particles in the air during summer, due to the dryness/lesser amounts of rain.

Hmmm...here is some STUPID thought that just popped into my mind after posting my last reply here.

There are so many horses with heaves that seems to be caused by breathing in dust and irritating the lungs. Does a horse normally breath through their nose?? I am assuming so. I wonder why they couldn't wear face masks like a doctor would wear, or a painter would wear, to help filter that dust out. You would think something so simple would have been thought of and tried, yet I have never heard of it.

I guess the biggest problem would be in trying to get something to fit...to stay in place, that would basically cover the nose, yet allow the mouth to stay open for grazing. I bet it would help if it could be tied to a halter in some way.
yes.gif

The owner is being contacted this am. Ginny St Pierre will let us know

as soon as all arrangements are made...

Gini

Hay everyone, My mom is the one with this mare. We have tried drugs from the vet AND over the counter drugs to no avail, in which he told us to get her up north. We have illiminated that it is NOT hay, NOT feed, NOT grass, NOT sprays, NOT bathing soap, we have went down a list. She was a rescue as well as 4 others at one time and did not display this issue untill 2-3 months ago! Whoever fosters her will have a GREAT little mare. It's breaking my moms heart to find her a home but we know we have to do this. When you go out she perks up and nickers at you. I really appreciate everyone trying to help her! THANK YOU!!!

i know when i talked to them at the university they said heavy horses become heavy due to respitory illness that scars the lungs such as pnemonia, rhino etc. They never completely recover but do get better.

Mona i agree dry conditions have alot to do with it!!! i think the dust in the heat of summer makes it worse and then the heat makes them breath harder to begin with. So imo its a combination of both

thanks for posting beavercreek!

Kay

We have a solution!! I just got off the phone with Giovana in Fl. They are going to get the Health Cert and already have Coggins. Anyone out there that can help with transportation? The mare will be coming to my place in VA to be evaluated by my vet then after a short rest will be taken to western MA to live with Christine (littlehorse2 on LB) Thank you so very much Christine!!!! I just love the way the people on this board come together to help.

The family in FL is very grateful too, to be able to get this loved mare to a place that will be healthier for her to live. I personally would like to thank Giovana and her family for putting the welfare of their mini first. It shows great love and devotion to do something like this.. Thank you.

Ginny StP

Thank you guys so much! We love this mare so much and it is really hard on us right now.
unsure.gif
You guys are awsome for helping us out like this. The vet will be out Monday morning to do her health certificate
sad.gif
You guys just dont know how much this means to me and my mom.

thumbup.gif
I'm glad I could help you out with this mare. I can't wait to see her and give her big hugs. I'll keep you posted when she gets here.
aktion033.gif

Thank you for letting her come live with us.

Christy
saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back