URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
A good friend rescued a VERY sick mini mare. She is in foal. Vet has been out several times and is treating the mare with IVs and Lactulose.

It appears that the mare is in Liver Failure, possibly due to a toxin, who knows. She has acted blind, running into walls and is acting like a pup with a liver shunt. Started on IVs and Lactulose( to bring down her blood amonia levels) but is now going into hyperlipemia. She seems "less" blind" since starting on the Lactulose.

Pregnant mare will not eat anything. Have tried manymany things, no appetite. Giving Karo syrup every hour. IV fluids are not enough, and this is a rescue, not a lot of money to go to a University hospital, and have to do whatever is possible at home. Hyperailimentation IVs are not possible without going to a hospital.

Would like to make a slushy feeding to go through a feeding tube. The problem is... we need something that is not high in protein as her liver is failing and will not tolerate much protein right now.

ANY suggestions as to what we can give as a tube feeding that is low protein??

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Robin

Hi Robin.

Sorry cant offer any help I'm afraid, but just sending prayers and hopes to your friend and this little mare.

Anna

I don't know how low you need.

Beet pulp is typically around 8-9% protein (need to balance Ca:p, as beet pulp is high in Ca). I bought some Standlee Hay company grass hay pellets a couple years ago; the timothy pellets were 9% protein and the orchardgrass hay pellets were 8% (that's the minimum listed on the label, so could have been higher).

I don't know of any other feeds low in protein.

Good Luck and I hope all turns out well for the mare.

I thought beet pulp as well. Easy enough to add minerals/vitamins if necessary to help balance it. There are a number of mixes that are strictly vit/min and no calories(so no added protein) There is the added bonus of the beet pulp being higher in sugar and so helping to offset the energy deficit that is pushing her into hyperlipemia.

I hope they find something quickly to help her the poor little thing.

Carnation Instant Breakfast (1/2 pk) , Breakfast Oatmeal (1 cup), and Corn Oil (1 or 2 TSP). Cook the oatmeal w/ water and add the other ingredients. I usually add Protein Powder but I never had to worry about low protein. I put it in a syringe and give them about 10-15cc at a time, not enough to spit out, if you can get 1 cup into her 3 times a day, it may turn her around. We've used this on a few sick ones with good results.

We did have a mare that the vet said had liver failure (some toxin?) by the blood test but she ate ok and we continued to give her the regular feed, she recovered in a few days and was back in the pasture.

Rick

Back