Upward Fixation of the Patella

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
Two years ago, we traded our last mare for a beautiful B gelding that is 36" tall. He was coming 3 then and when first got him I noticed a catch in his left hind leg, asked about it and was told he never had problems, must have been the trailer ride (about 200 miles). It worried me, but once he'd trot for bit, he'd smooth out some. I turned him out for winter with another horse and the two of them played like two little kids all winter.

Late winter, started working him, taking him for walks after working...you'd even hear a 3 beat of his feet...then a little drag noise of the one hind leg. I'd try to walk, watch and see for sure what he was doing.

I consulted with several supplement suppiers at Equine Affaire, opted for a joint supplement from Urkle after explaining all this to them....trying to supplement the fluid in the joint and keep any inflamation done. My vet really ticked me off...asked him about it...he didnt even look or touch the horse...just said "Upward fixation of the patella"...easy to fix, standing surgery, snip the ligament, but said give him another year before you do anything...be five in 2011.

This spring, started training him to drive. If he's stalled, it is a very noticeable, so I stall him where he can come/go 24/7 all year with a nice drylot to move around. He's driving fine, not willing to back more than one step and its not a pretty back. When I ask him to back, he first puts his right front foot...over his left front foot and shifts his weight to give a nudge back.

This horse is a treasure...he's beautiful and so talented, gorgeous headset, neck...phenominal personality...I just love him. (so if anyone thinks I should have sent him back...I couldnt...just fell in love with him).

He is one of the most incredible liberty horses that I have ever seen...gave me cold chills and just left me standing in the arena at the Hoosier Horse Park 2 weeks ago with my jaw dropped. AHHHHHHHHH amazing....didnt see a single hitch as he floated around that big arena trotting level with an extremely long stride, neck up like a giraffe, head tucked in a gorgeous headset and tail lifted blowing in the wind...it was so cool....I thought OH MY GOSH...that is my horse!!!

SOOOOOOOOO long story...I know, I am sorry. But my question is...if anyone has had this standing surgery done for upward fixation of the patella...what have you seen or experienced with your horse after the surgery? Problems? Concerns? Regrets? I've been researching it like crazy online and see where can develop arthritis and become permanently lame.

I'd appreciate any input you can give me. I'm going to take him to Ohio State Vet Clinic for evaluation.

Thanks!

Connie and Dylan

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a variety of corrections that can be done depending on the severity of his condition. I would think that as he does not seem to be locking but just catching you might want to try splitting the ligament instead of clipping it. My vet has done 4 stifle surgeries for me over the years, one was split surgically (small 1 inch incision them the ligament is split lengthwise, not severed), one was first split surgically and later needed to be cut (very severe case on a rescue where the leg would lock backwards for literally days at a time) and the last two he has used a new method requiring no incision where the ligament is striated with a hypodermic needle. In all 4 cases the horses moved freely after the procedures were done.

There are a variety of corrections that can be done depending on the severity of his condition. I would think that as he does not seem to be locking but just catching you might want to try splitting the ligament instead of clipping it. My vet has done 4 stifle surgeries for me over the years, one was split surgically (small 1 inch incision them the ligament is split lengthwise, not severed), one was first split surgically and later needed to be cut (very severe case on a rescue where the leg would lock backwards for literally days at a time) and the last two he has used a new method requiring no incision where the ligament is striated with a hypodermic needle. In all 4 cases the horses moved freely after the procedures were done.
In my more than 20 years in Minis I have had several done here on the farm.No problems ever from any of them.My vet made a very small incision ,snipped the ligament, stall rest for 1 day, then turned out.Not even any stitches.Youngest was under 6 months and dragged leg so badly she was going to cause damage to foot if not corrected.I gave her away and have kept in touch with new owner and no problems.good luck If you need to have your vet talk to my vet let me know and I will give you contact here in Delaware.

Connie, I can sympathize. So, so sympathize!! I had read the same things you had about the arthritis and such and it scared the spit out of me so I did everything else I could think of for four years with my little gelding and nothing worked. We did cavalettis, hill work, joint supplements, body work, driving, driving, and more driving, competed in CDE's...if exercise was going to fix it, it would have. He was one of those that stuck all the time, no getting around it. He tried so hard for so many years but eventually it was just getting to be too much and I felt we had no choice but to do the surgery.

I tried having it split first and all it did was make his locking unpredictable (he started locking at the trot which he'd never done before
default_new_shocked.gif
) and made us both miserable. After six months of dedicated rehab we were worse off than before and I had the desmotomy done where they cut it. I was frankly terrified and in tears when I called to schedule the appointment but we were out of options.

MY ONLY REGRET IS NOT DOING IT SOONER!!!

His life changed completely the day he had the surgery. No more locking. No more thinking about whether it was worth it walk to the water bucket for a drink or move to a patch of shade in the pasture. No more resistance to backing up. I almost cried the first time I saw him kick a fly on his belly as he'd never been able to do that before (he tried it instinctively and actually startled himself when it worked!
default_laugh.png
) He no longer requires regular chiropractic sessions and immediately began to spend most of his days running around and playing instead of standing in a corner looking unhappy. I would never, ever hesitate again to give a horse who is that badly off the surgical relief he needs.

It breaks my heart that less than a year later he hurt the soft tissue in his lower back and is now basically retired at 10 years old after all he went through. I truly believe his injury is the result of all those years of strain from his locking stifles combined with his high level driving activities and suspect that if we'd had the surgery done when I first got him as a 4 year old he'd be sound and competing now, doing what he loves.

Don't wait. Keep your guy on the joint supplements to help prevent problems in the future and don't mess around with the splitting- several of us around here tried it at the same time and it didn't work for any of our horses. They will not ever have a problem with locking again after you have it cut and my guy does still sleep standing up and seems completely normal.

I have another colt with this problem but unlike Kody it doesn't affect his daily quality of life and it seems to have mostly cleared up after his yearling year. He locked a little at the last show but backs up fine so I'm going to wait and see how he does before having anything done. If they're still doing it consistently at 4+ it probably isn't going to go away and you have to judge for yourself whether or not a mild case is bad enough to do the surgery.

Leia

Back