Upsetting situation......horse that I sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very true that if he is not underweight, his hooves are taken care of and he has access to water, animal welfare can/will do nothing - I would really check out the angle about livestock in a gated community - they are usually pretty stringent about the type and # of companion animals allowed. MOre than likely this is why he is never out of the garage. Unfortunately, I would be surprised in this situation if his hooves have been maintained properly.

You will not be able to repossess him either, sold is sold without the written contract - also the care you talked about was given more in the form of instructions/helping rather than terms of conditions and I doubt you would have thought to have made them requirements in a written contract anyways.

Definately take the softer approach, bake that pie or some cookies because the strong arm may land you in jail (especially if the horse's basic needs - food,shelter,water - are being met) for harassment.

I also agree about the money angle - he is probably over extended as it is- appearances can definately be misleading.

I live in basically the same area as Fiona. Fiona the best thing to do is go talk to them and just be very sweet. You may be right in thinking that the father thinks he knows whats best. People like this are very hard to deal with and it can be very frustrating. Sometimes just waiting him out is the best option. Calling the authorities might just make him mad and believe me I see things like this all the time. The authorities in this area can't do much anyway as long as food and shelter are provided. Their hands are tied on that issue and I won't even go into the one that will happen if he has a vet vouch for him. I know this from first hand experience. Fiona do you remember reading about the horses seized in December? Those horses had been in that situation for 16 YEARS! It had been reported numerous times over the 16 years but the authorities hands were tied. I had discussed it with the officer in charge as I know him well. Why? All because a certain vet vouched for the woman. The vet works for a very well known facility. By the way in this area and I know all the large animal vets the low end for gelding a cryptorchid is $1500 to $3000. No lie. I know its frustrating and if you need help let me know. Linda

I wonder if there may be something else going on as well. While he was a sweet boy when you had him, when he matured he might just be something else now. Any crypt i have had any experience with are extremely hard to handle. because their temperature runs higher.( i was told that once by a vet) they are sometimes literaly crazy.

they may not be able to handle him outside and rather than admit it just leave him in so they don't have to handle him.

I bet the girl is afraid of him and doesn't maybe want to admit to it.

I think offering to to free board him( or for very little) might get you the horse.

Good luck,

bonnie

SINCERE THANKS for all the posters advice!

I am going to take the soft approach!

I actually do not dislike this man, I do dislike how he is taking care of RED :no:

I am going to go over there with an open mind. I plan on calling today to say I was thinking of Red and could I visit and take it from there!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be using all and any of my Irish charm!!

My friend is willing to help out! Her little boy is friends with the little boy in this family and I think she is going to offer to buy Red and board him at my house............of course I will be buying him, with money I don't have right now BUT I will get it
default_rolleyes.gif
: When there is a will there is a way!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda I am very worried about the cost of his surgery. I have to have him gelded? Can't imagine spending that amount of money....YIKES!!

I thought about contacting Tufts Veterinary Hospital and seeing if I may be able to get it done cheaper there!

I could not sleep last night thinking about RED!

I think someone who posted and mentioned about "not being allowed horses in that community" may be on to something.

I KNOW they are allowed have him but wonder if the neighbours are unimpressed with him or them putting up fencing God Forbid
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

It is a very fancy neighbourhood with beautiful manicured gardens and tennis courts looking over the ocean.

I did ask if they could have horses but maybe they are trying to "hide" him :eek: :no:

I am very annoyed though becuase ANYONE who knows me KNOWS that I would ALWAYS take an animal back!!!!!!! WHY don't people ask for help if they need it ....PRIDE I think
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

Fiona, I hate to tell you Tufts is one of the more expensive ones. A friend just brought a horse home from there. Linda B

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. If you do get him back and need to geld him, I would call Mass Equine in Uxbridge MA, they are wonderful and can do the surgery there. I'm sure they would be alot cheaper than Tufts. It would be worth a call at least. I have the # if you would like it.

Good luck and hope you can resolve this!
default_smile.png

J&H minis THANK You very much for the offer/advice.

I will be contacting the owner today and going to visit soon hopefully and will go from there.

Certainly, if he comes back here gelding is a MUST!

He was awfully sweet as a 4 yr old, and he is only 29" tall BUT Bonnie you are right they may find him hard to handle and may feel overwhelmed.

I think that is often the problem People are afraid to admit failure and ask for help.

I always ask after Red when I see the family BUT have not seen them at all in over a year.

Heck all my horses would be hard to handle and mad as heck if I kept them in all day everyday :no:

I would be very surprised if they are allowed to have a horse in this gated community. I dont know about down there but in this town and we are rural on my same road there is a small community that was to have been a gated community it did not fly but the covenants still exist within each deed that they can not have specifically horses or any farm animals not even rabbits unless the animal lives in the house. So my guess is that when the people bought your boy they thought they would put him on their other piece of property but as someone else has said that, for whatever reason didnt work out either. Sometimes life gets in the way. Also if you call the authorities I would doubt that anything could be done because the law, as it applies to horses, in Maine says they must provide food,clean water, and a 3 sided shelter all of which it seems they are doing. Perhaps they will allow you to take him to your property so that he can get some much needed exercise but be careful and tread easy or you could end up on the wrong end of the law. Crazy I know but true.

Fiona,

I talked to my local vet. I have a American show pony with one kahoona. They quoted me about $600..which is still pricey but far cheaper than a thousand or more! if you find anyplace that will do it cheaper than that let me k now..LOL i need to get mine gelded..though i'm not in any rush because he's not real study or anything. If I have to pay a fortune and he behaves himself i don't mind keeping him a stallion.

and people want to know WHY more people don't geld?? it costs about $350-$400 to geld a horse in this area......

They may have covenants forbidding them to put a fence up. If you call the county they would tell you if they are allowed a horse or not. It must be just horrible for him stuck in that garage with no fresh air or grass, no room to run and no little buddy to keep him company. I think the idea of boarding him at your place is a good one. I wonder where they put his hay and bedding, and where they put his manure and dirty bedding etc? He might surprise you and find your offer of taking him back a relief. I will pray this all works out and you will have him back home with you, bless you for trying to help him
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Marty's idea is a sweet one. But I have to tell ya....if someone that I don't regularly see knocked on my door with pie in hand and started chatting about my horses, I'd be just a lit-tle bit suspicious. But that's just me. :saludando: :bgrin

I think Terri hit on something too. Just me from the outside looking in here. I don't think going to your municipal building and checking out the ordnance is a bad idea at all. That may just well be why he is keeping the little guy in rather than out and limiting his exercise time. He does'nt want to rock the boat with the neighbors so to speak. Who knows, maybe when you approach him and chat he may well surprise you and take your offer of taking Red back with you. That would be wonderful. I wish you good luck and a good outcome for this poor little boy. Things like this can be so frustrating.

Hey Boinky, If I do get him back maybe I will bring him up North to be gelded!!!

I would not call the authorities on this man. Maybe it is just me but calling in the authorities is a last resort for me!

I am going to call him up and be nice and completely honest!

It is very true that if he is not underweight, his hooves are taken care of and he has access to water, animal welfare can/will do nothing - I would really check out the angle about livestock in a gated community - they are usually pretty stringent about the type and # of companion animals allowed. MOre than likely this is why he is never out of the garage. Unfortunately, I would be surprised in this situation if his hooves have been maintained properly.

You will not be able to repossess him either, sold is sold without the written contract - also the care you talked about was given more in the form of instructions/helping rather than terms of conditions and I doubt you would have thought to have made them requirements in a written contract anyways.

Definately take the softer approach, bake that pie or some cookies because the strong arm may land you in jail (especially if the horse's basic needs - food,shelter,water - are being met) for harassment.

I also agree about the money angle - he is probably over extended as it is- appearances can definately be misleading.

I have to disagree with this, I don't know the laws in your area, but here, you have to provide food, water, shelter, palatable water, and appropriate exercise at liberty. There have been numerous cases here in MN where horses are "stored" in sheds, barns where ever and never see the light of day, and they are taken away. Do they have food and water and shelter?? Yes, but they are not let out. And so yes the authorities will take them from you for that.

With that said, i would definitly report them for this. This has gone on long enough that is no life for a horse, big or small. Call and report them.

Fiona, I wish you were closer to me. My vet will do it under 200 but we are in the southern US. Please keep us posted on "Reds" progress. Let us know if you get him back.
default_unsure.png
:

My well meaning friend who told me about poor Red's situation called this morning offering to buy Red.

She called the family, their sons are best friends, and said she would like to buy him for her kids. Get this their reply......"We'll have to check with our 13 yr old daughter, she really loves him and may not want to part with him"
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

Anyway, unfortunately my friend was unaware that he was a stallion or what that would mean. I told her that he would NOT be suitable as is for her little kids.

Of course, she would be keeping him here!

I don't think she knows How expensive it would be to geld him.

Anyway, as soon as I have a good idea of what is going on I will update on a new post!

Thanks for all advice.

I know this is off topic BUT with all the talk about geld, geld and what a good idea it is.......which I agree with BUT when it can cost you upwards of $2,000 it is not always a feasible option.

However, for Red he needs to be gelded to enjoy a good life!

I hope something good works out. But do have to say he should of been gelded first. Just luckly these people never bred with him.

I had one done 8 years ago. Then it was right around $500 to do it. I would do it again, and find the money if necessary before the horse left.

Oh dear, what an awful situation.

We have found from experience over the years that whether they have money or not does NOT reflect on how they take care of their animals.

In the early 70's we sold a nice colt to a girl for a riding horse- she just had to have one and they purchased him and she broke him herself. We went up to their big 'house on the hill' one day to visit and were SO UPSET- the horse was STARVING with all his bones showing, no hay on the place and his pen was made of wooden PALLETS!! The girl had to explain to us that her father decided the horse was too expensive and would just have to do with what they had. Didnt account for the no feed being there!! She said he would angry sometimes if they didnt have money to party on because the horse had to have hay!!

I have seen things in the past and up to recent times too, folks with houses that were huge, manicured yards, antique furniture that I could never afford, and STARVING uncared for livestock in the back. Makes me ill.

I hope things work out ok for your little guy.

Latest posts

Back