UPDATE - Tracker is doing better.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hello,

Some have been asking for updates of how Tracker is doing. He's the dog we found two weeks ago while out trail driving on the forest trails.

When we first brought him home we took him to the vet later that week and he only weighed 14 pounds. Amazingly he had NO heartworms so we started him on preventative. He did have a mild intestinal infection and was loaded with hookworms. So we wormed him for that and put him on Flagyl twice a day for the infection. He was also quite anemic from all the ticks and fleas, so we put him on a supplement for that. I was feeding him 4 times a day (small increments) as well. Plus, after a couple more baths he no longer wreaks of death from lingering over his lost friend's remains.

Took him yesterday for his checkup. He now weighs 35 pounds (over DOUBLE his original weight).
default_aktion033.gif
My vet was AMAZED at how quickly he's coming around, as am I.
default_yes.gif
He does still have a pretty good ways to go yet before he's up to what he "should" weigh though. But, he's well on his way, that's for sure.
default_wub.png
He had his vaccinations done, and is now scheduled to go back again next week to be neutered.

Here are a couple photos I took of him on this past Monday, taken 2 weeks to the day after we first found him. I put them alongside the first photos we took of him 2 weeks ago, for comparison.

TrackerProgress2.jpg

TrackerProgress1.jpg

Again, he does still have a ways to go yet, before he's at his ideal weight, but he's really thriving toward that already.
default_aktion033.gif

He's such a love muffin too. The time or two I've been able to hitch my mare up for a morning run, he will hop right onto the cart with me. He LOVES it, and now I guess I have my new "trail buddy".
default_wub.png

He's come to life now too. Romps and plays with our other dogs, just like he's been here among us all his life. That first week, he was really weak though, and never heard a peep out of him for days. Then as we rounded into the second week he found his "voice", LOL. 'Bout knocked my socks off that very first time I heard him howl, ROFL!
default_aktion033.gif

All our dogs will bark and growl as they all romp and wrestle with each other in play. But, when Tracker found his voice it was definately one that was set apart from the sounds of the others, LOL! He belted out a big ol' BarrrrrOooooooohhhh! ROFL!

It was as if he was saying... "Yep... I'm a real true blue bonafide HOWWNNNN Dawwwwg! ROFL!

I LOVE IT!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

You should have seen our other dogs just stop in their tracks and just looooook????? It was HILARIOUS!!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Now they think nothing of it, when they all get excited together and are all barking, and barking while romping and then all of a sudden out belt's Tracker with his BarrrrOooooooohhhh!

TOTALLY Cracks me up every time!
default_new_rofl.gif

default_saludando.gif
Well, thanks for letting me share and shout m' joy.
default_wub.png

Hugs,

Tanya (Ps. Ooooooh, I have another AWESOME suprise,
default_wub.png
but I'll post in a different thread as soon as I can get pics!)
default_aktion033.gif

Awww! You did great and you have a true buddy there....one of those somethings meant to be!

He not only looks so much healthier but you can tell he feels so much better!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Yay! I was wondering how he was doing, thanks so much for the update. Too funny how he likes to go in the cart with you.......

Keep up the good work, looks like you have yourself a nice dog there.
default_wub.png

I did a double take when I saw the topic of this post as my dogs name is Tracker.

He sure is looking good!

Tanya that is one lucky dog !!!!!!!

I think he realizes that though....little love bug. He looks so good!
default_aktion033.gif

This post of your made me laugh. I love how Tracker is coming along so well and that he "found his voice"! He is definitely looking like a different dog...what a handsome boy! How lucky you are to have found a trail driving buddy. What a special bond you guys will have. I'm so happy for little Tracker!
default_wub.png

He looks soo different. I had a treeing walker hound pup when I was a kid. When I got on the school bus and it drove away he started howling like a mad man. My mom couldn't take it for very long. She made me give him back to the breeder. She said he was born to hunt and howl and wasn't the kind of dog who would passively wait and watch for me to come home like my other dog "Wired Haired Fox Terrier". So I gave him

back and I'm sure he was a wonderful hunting dog. He most certainly had the voice for it if he had treed something. The breeder used them for bear hunting. So I do know what you mean about that howl. You have done an excellent job of putting weight on this boy and he's so lucky you found him that day. How wonderful he enjoys riding in the cart with you. You are so lucky to have such a friend.

Hounds do have unique voices! I've seen other dogs react to them like that - almost like they're asking "what language was THAT??!" And Walkers seem to have their own dialect, or something, they sound like no other hound. You cracked me up, I could just hear him!
default_biggrin.png

It's wonderful to see Tracker looking so good! What a shame he had to go through h-e-double-toothpicks first, he seems to be in heaven now!

He is looking so much better already
default_aktion033.gif
His story is one that I will remember forever. What a sweetheart. I bet he is just so happy to have a home
default_wub.png

Thanks so much Reijel's Mom, Alicia, Sonya, Connie, Marty, Cheyenne, Shortpig, Bunny, Brandi & lilhorse!
default_wub.png

Connie, what breed is your Tracker?
default_wub.png

Marty...
default_cheekkiss.gif

Shortpig, I'm so sorry you couldn't keep your Walker, but glad you had your other "doggie friend".
default_wink.png

Bunny, I know!
default_new_rofl.gif
That was the reaction they all gave when Tracker belted out his "Houndog Howl", LOL! They just stopped and just loooooked, like saying... "Huh, say again??? We no speaky hound howl." It was hilarious!
default_biggrin.png

Everytime he belts his voice, it makes me think of that old Disney movie, "The Fox & the Hound"...when the hound dog discovers he's "a little different", and announces "Ah'm a hownnndawg".
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What an amazing improvement! It is hard to imagine that he could have weighed only 14lbs. I doubt he had much time left in this world when you found him. He is a lucky guy that you came along when you did.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back