Update on the auction "rescues"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
I've had the little guys from the auction about 2 1/2 months now. Some of you might remember the night I brought them home from the horse trader that bought them at a local auction.

minis010.jpg

They have been gelded. The pinto, Rocket, was a cryptorchid, so that is why he has shaved spots in the photos. There feet are a work in progress, but coming along. The palomino, Stubbs, still has awful hair. He itches alot and looks moth eaten from all the rub marks. As soon as the nights start staying warmer, I plan on clipping him and giving him a good bath. Stubbs is an absolute sweetheart. Rocket is a little standoffish and was not even halter broke. But he is coming around and I think he actually has a lot of potential. He has very nice movement.

33008022.jpg

33008017.jpg

33008008.jpg

33008010.jpg

33008011.jpg

I would have taken more pictures of Stubbs but didn't have anybody to hold a lead at the time, so the rest of my pictures would have looked like this.

33008012.jpg

Thanks guys. Poor little Stubbs doesn't look a whole lot better due to his awful hair! It is rough and lays in wierd directions. He has rub marks all over him. It doesn't really look like Cushings since it isn't really curly, just patchey. They were also both very wormy and Stubbs was a little thin. I think they will look better clipped and/or shed out. Rocket has rough hair too, he just doesn't have the moth eaten look.

Hopefully they will both be driving horses eventually.

Good luck! It takes a long time to get them into good condition. I have had mine for nearly 6 months and his fur is finally filled in. And feet are ongoing. Like you, I can hardly wait to clip and get rid of the unruly winter coat so we can start over. People are startled by mine's wild mane, as it is growing out from being rubbed/eaten off. Can't wait to work on taming it this spring! I am using MTG on him, hoping the rubbed off places will not be chronic, but were rather from neglect. I think it is definitely helping.

Thanks for posting the photos of your nice boys!

They sure cleaned up pretty and are lucky to have found you that night.

You might want to do a dusting for lice just in case that is why he's itching so much.

You might want to do a dusting for lice just in case that is why he's itching so much.
I looked for lice but since I have never had a horse with lice, I'm not sure what I am looking for! I saw no moving critters, but I would guess they would be hard to see. What would I use to dust him with? I'll do a past thread search on lice too.

You are doing a great job! I love the squishy little face on the palomino, he's super cute! His coat will come good with all the love and attention you are giving them.

The lice are very, very hard to see. I use 10% seven dust on my horses every year. I rub it in their manes, pour a little down the middle of their backs and rub some in the top of their tails. I've never had any problems with it and it always works.

Pam

That's what I was going to suggest
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back