Update on skin biopsy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Latest culture results show a bacteria presence. It is a rod bacteria, not terrible in itself, but in sufficient numbers to be considered an infection. (I think I understood this correctly.) This bacteria is very resistant to most antibiotics. There are two new ones available that laboratory tests show will kill it and they are very strong. One is hard on kidneys and one is hard on GI. Also, the vet said it is hard for an internal antibiotic to reach and affect the skin. We will wait for the fungal results to make a decision, which could take up to 2 more weeks.

Meanwhile, I am to continue the iodine and fungal baths. I think I will add some Betadine to the bath and maybe a couple of drops of Dawn.

I will drop into the office as soon as possible and write down the name of the bacteria and the two antibiotics, so I can do my own research about them, or ask members of the forum if they know about them. I tried to write them down phonetically as he was talking, but am not sure I got it right!

So, what I know so far is he has a mild allergic reaction going on and a significant bacterial infection. I forgot to ask about the autoimmune test, but will call and do so tomorrow.

The biopsy site is healing up well and hopefully will not leave a scar. We took the staples out ourselves.

Does anyone feel we are seeing more skin disorders than in years past?

are you around farmers fields?? I know one year my neighbor in Illinois was spraying his fields on a very windy day and it came right to us. Myself and the horses all had reactions including skin reactions.

Has the vet had you give benadryl to see if that helps??

Marsha:

COOL sounds like your getting answers.

I wonder if one of the drugs they are suggesting is Baytril?

Did you have complete blood workup done on your horse?

Were they able to determine if it is gram negative or gram positive?

I had skin crud go through 6 of my horses 2 years ago. I FINALLY healed them all up with LymDyp or Lime Sulfur.

Can you post pictures of the horse that has it? I would be REALLY interested to see if it looked like what mine had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I called today and had the vet office spell the words.

The bacteria present are pseudomonas aeruginosa, micrococcus luteus, and bacillus sp., gram neg. Whitney, what do you know about gram neg?

the antibiotics that are able to kill the bacteria are Amikasin and Enrosloxacin.

The test shows he does NOT have autoimmune problem, so that is very good news to me. I think it means that somehow we can cure him.

I will try to get a picture. It is small bare spots and then lots of darker spots on his black hide, that look like fresh hair growing in. The area on his hocks seems bad, besides the usual shoulder, neck and chest areas. He is not miserably itching.

I asked about that lime sulphur product and had no luck locally. I will look in the catalogs. I think that is one reason the mtg seems to help a little, as it has the juniper tar in it. I am wondering, too, about getting some medical grade turpentine. That was the cure-all for injuries in the old days. Why not? I am trying everything else!!

MTG has sulfur in it but in smaller amounts than the straight stuff. You can get lime sulfur at the grain elevator or garden center same stuff and ALOT CHEAPER than the LymDyp. My horses also had pot bellies, spit out clumps of hay, went through the itchy bodies. Did your horse do any of this stuff?

What test did your vet run to find the pseudomonas aeruginosa, micrococcus luteus and bacillus sp?

No, my horse does not have a pot belly and he does not spit out food. He was quidding, but after the chiropractic treatment he never did it again. Also, he is not particularly itchy. I have seen itchy horses that rubbed themselves raw, and he does not do that. He just does the normal scratching against a tree.

Do not know what test was done to find the bacteria, as the biopsy was sent off to a lab. The vet office said they will give me a copy of the lab results. Not sure I will be able to understand any of it, though!

I suspect this all stems from the injury he had when I got him last year.

Still don't know $$ for all this.

Yep Enrosloxacin is Baytril! Huh

Both Pseudomonas and Micrococcus are brought on by low immunity so I bet there is something else going on to affect this horses immune system but what?

Amikasin is a sulfate, sulfur family so if it were me I'd try the lime sulfur baths before I injected amikasin, I bet the side effects are lower with the lime sulfur baths.

This site might be helpful

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=132

Latest posts

Back