Update on Ringo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, you and Ringo have lots of prayers coming your way.

I was worried that everything went wrong and that's why we didn't get an update.

Good Luck,

Ginny

Thanks Ginny. Just using the little boy like a carrot on a string. As long as he's alive for now that is all that matters. Still the goal to get him out. Thanks for the prayers. Will post an update. Hopefully this will all end soon so he can get the med. care & farrier care he so needs. Wish me luck!!
wink.gif

Well, my nieces want me to have Ringo but their mom (my sister) & grandpa (my dad) will not give him up. He's not doing all that well I hear, I've not been able to see him. It's been going on a year now. I hate to say it but it looks as if he will have to be on death's door for them to even consider giving him up or let him die. Very sad but I'm one who never loses hope. Ringo could always use extra prayers. His owners could use some extra prayers also - please pray that they will do the right by this wonderful little horse who has suffered so much.
sad2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry to hear that. You've done all that you can, a lot of prople wouldn't have tried.

My prayers are with you both.

Ginny

I would appreciate any help, any ideas at all.

He is located in Michigan, 40 miles West of Toledo, OH - 15 miles from OH/MI border.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. The animal control officer (remember, she is a police officer, NO training except in euthanasia), the County and the Sheriff are in clear violation of Michigan statute. I am more than willing to hire an attorney and fight to have laws enforced so this doesn't happen again as Michigan has some of the BEST laws on the books regarding animal cruelty/neglect BUT this little guy is caught in the middle and his story is of no "press" for PETA. I've never seen so many people scrambling to cover each other's butts in all my life. Seriously, this is bad.

All I have ever cared about is Ringo. I've followed every single procedure detailed in equine rescue, unfortunately it involves family, and this poor horse is still suffering.
frusty.gif

Any suggestions will be appreciated. He doesn't deserve to fall between the cracks due to political and personal reasons.

Maybe if you called PETA. You never know, they might justmarch right in there and give your local sheriff a run for his money. Maby PETA with the threat of public exposure might a few people to do their duty..Just a thought.

Ginny

I'm still praying.

PETA was called and Ringo even had a caseworker for a week. However, she told me that they basically had other cases that would catch attention and that this was no priority and wouldn't cause much of an outrage.
sad2.gif
This is why I say that the boy is slipping thru the cracks. State vet refuses to look at the pics and the vet that pulled the coggins said that he looks as any horse would look. Please remember Ringo's leg in an almost perfect "C" shape from above the knee to the center of his hoof - which has grown to the inside as he did go without farrier for over 2 years.

This is the biggest failure of my life. I've let this horse down.

Fourhorses,

You did not let this boy down. The ones who let him down are his owners. You are NOT responsible for what they do. You have tried and tried to help him. You have been persistant for over a year. Who else would do that? You are tryin gyour best and that is all you can do. You have contacted everyone you can, and sometimes there is nothing left but to keep an eye on him the best you can. Maybe, just maybe someone can be found who will try to buy him.

Hugs to you, and don't give up. You are probably the only reason he is still alive at this point, so my hats off to you.

Oh Nila,

Sometimes I have to wonder if he would have been better off without my interference. Yep, he would have suffered but he wouldn't STILL be suffering. I have only prolonged it.

I have spoken to an attorney, I am in the process of preparing to fight the entire state to have the laws enforced - again, they are some of the best in the entire country.

I am also faxing and UPS'ing a formal FOIA request to the County Prosecutor and

the County Sheriff tomorrow. Hopefully that coming thru on the fax machine will prompt Dep. Meadows to go back out and do a check. Ringo has not been checked since Oct.
sad2.gif

I am so scared over an acute founder with spring grass coming in, wondering when the last time his stall was cleaned.....it's all very upsetting and a huge blow to animal welfare everywhere.

Just so everyone knows....I am not a member of any animal rights group/cult. I am a member of CMHR and my local dressage club. I am but one animal lover, with a deep love of horses, that wants to assure animal wefare for years to come.
xbud.gif

Fourhorses,

I have to look at it this way... It is not Ringo's time yet. The good Lord only knows why he is here and why you are involved. Ringo has yet to teach all there is to teach someone (maybe your neices?), and you are his angel. Because of you, things are better for him, at least a little better. DON'T YOU EVER feel bad about that. Again, you have no blame in this. You are doing everything in your power to see that he is helped. This is more than many do.

You have learned tons because of Ringo. And I am glad that you have the courage to risk so much to take this on. And I am so proud to say that you are a member of CMHR and you honor us with your presence. Your will to succeed is a shining example of why this rescue was formed. And please, if you want to post pictures let me know and I will post them for you.

Hugs to you, and continued prayers for Ringo.

boy you havent let him down at all and maybe all of this is just so the laws will eventually be enforced just like chance who wasnt let down i do belive his job here was strictly to start this rescue.

There are many people that talk the talk very well in almost every aspect of there lives but when it comes down to walking the walk they dont- they have excuses, reasons why they cant, bring up all kinds of negative points but you well you not only are talking the talk but walking the walk and that says so much about your character and your true commitment- not giving up and risking so much i for one am very proud of you.

Lisa & Nila,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Just when I think I don't have much left I get a lift from you - I'm so lucky to have found this board.

I did hear from my sister-in-law. Things are getting worse as for Ringo but AC did make a couple of unannounced visits so they are keeping up on things.

The vet that pulled a coggins, a well-known breeder & judge of Shetlands will be reported to MVMA, AAEP, ASPC and any other organization he is involved in.
torch.gif

I also learned from my sister-in-law that the neglect was intentional because I refused to give them my retiree a few years ago due to worries over his care.
sad2.gif

There is a firm in Michigan that has compiled ALL cases of neglect/cruelty on CD. I have ordered the MI CD as Ringo is my immediate concern and will be ordering the US Animal Law CD when a little extra money comes in.
xbud.gif

I am trying to follow the purpose of CMHR but it is hard. It is a constant internal battle with me as I am judgemental - in this day and age there are NO EXCUSES for this happening.

*edited for spelling.

I heard from a family member that Ringo is having a very hard time. Spends most of his days laying down with occassional coax to get up. There is a reason for him to still be here unknown to me but there is a reason. I'm finally going to have some pics posted so you can put a face to him. Please, please, pray for this little guy.
sad2.gif

My God, I want to shake your sister till she gets some sense.! This has gone way beyond any logical reason. Can you just go, when they aren't home and get him??????? Bring him to a friends, bring him to a vet, just get him. This is killing me and I know it killing you but, worst of all, it's killing Ringo.

Ginny

I'm sure going to try. As they have cut themselves off from both sides of the family I have no idea what their schedule is anymore. I HAVE to get that horse out of there so he can either be saved or humanely euthanized.

I could proceed with a lawsuit but that doesn't help Ringo. I check their local newspaper daily to see if they will advertise him for sale. No horse should ever suffer as this one did. They are not ignorant, they are educated, that they would intentionally cause pain and suffering is sick. .

I last attempted contact on Wed. of last week. I said that I could come up on Fri. when kids were at school, sign a paper that said his condition would never be used against them - not a word. My father has crawled back in his hole so he doesn't have to face the dirty secret. My uncles have attempted to contact them to no avail.

This is sick. This is very sick. May God have mercy on their souls

Hugs to you fourhorses!!!!

Here are the pictures of Ringo that you sent. I had to resize them to be smaller. I will let you describe what one is seeing. I really don't think that the pictures show the true nature of the condition of the horse either. It would have been better to have pictures from the front of the horse that would have shown the curvature of the leg.

Also, did I understand correctly that these pictures were after you forced them to trim his feet?

f905e90b.jpg

f905e904.jpg

Maybe they too are all sick of it now too.

Do they have email? If not, pm me their phone number.

I will call and tell them I am looking for a horse for my petting zoo and heard they had one.

It sounds like the only resource right now.

If he is not doing well, surely they will take my money.

I am not in your state, I do not believe they will not make any type of a connection. I can even go get him as early as this weekend.

Send me phone number.

Let me know.

These pics were taken by the AC officer (also a deputy sheriff) on Oct. 15, 2003. She had not been out since her initial visit 3 weeks earlier and when I informed her of the goat she scooted out to take these pics. I begged her to take pics on level ground or concrete pad in front of garage (about 30' from barn) in order for me to explain to her what was going on. This is what I got but was thrilled to see that the neighbor was trying to keep his hooves trimmed.

OK, we'll start with the top pic. Don't know how much it shows but his halter very tight, mats have obviously been cut out between AC visits. Hard to see much crookedness in his legs with this pic (quite visible on a 4x6 pic!). His RH from hock down suffered the most. Since that hoof grew to the inside and measured almost 11" the joints/tendons had to adjust themselves that way also. There is another pic of the left hind - that one isn't as bad and managed to stay straight (I assume that was the most weight bearing leg and got him this far) but he has no ankle - swelling from pastern down.

Bottom pic: Hooves on front feet on April 19th of last year measured ~ 10" on RF - grew to the inside, curved over and then grew to the outside - outside coronary band is his main support. LF leg was forced to grow in a "C" shape from the knee down. This hoof was ~ 12", also grew toward the inside. As they grew he was unable to stand & walk so lying down also forced them to grow to the inside - this one and the RH were the worst in my opinion. His LF's major support is the outside part of his hoof but I think that that is actually his heel that was forced to the side - in April I couldn't find a sole, frog or anything
no.gif
- his coronary band is also a major support system for him.

I guess I should be grateful that his hooves have been trimmed. BUT, he is a chronic founder with several acute episodes a year, skanky stall, no bedding and who knows what he is eating - it was 2 large scoops of sweet feed and alfalfa cubes because hay was too expensive. The 35 bales my husband and I took up surely have to be getting low. The grass will be getting lush up there in a matter of weeks, they will throw him out in order to save grain and poop outside...........makes me sick and very angry and very, very sad that he is still alive to suffer.

Frankie - thank you for the offer - I'll take you up on it.

We're talking to Bonnie on Sat. so hopefully we can find some way to help this little guy. Thanks to all who say prayers for Ringo. I know he'd give kisses to you all if he could.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back