update on quilt stuff and an afghan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
My daughter made this afghan for me while she was at college. I chose the colors and the yarn (Homespun) and she insisted I choose the pattern. I insisted she decide which colors went where and the width of the design. She just finished her first year with a 3.75 and a 3.86. She's a Bio major. She's transferring to a hard to get into school next year and will major in Bio/Chem. Her minor will be music or philosophy. We're kinda proud.
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
(My son made Dean's list both semesters too.
default_biggrin.png
)

IMG_5385.jpg

Next are some table runners. If you're interested in the pattern, it's free on a site somewhere. Let me know if you want me to post the link. They're not quilted yet. I'm practicing free motion machine quilting before I start them. These are part of a stock piling I'm starting for a major craft sale in November. My daughter will be crocheting/knitting items too.

IMG_5264.jpg

All this fabric is leftover from a quilt I made--the toughest one ever. But I love it. My quilter offered me $800 for the quilt. I didn't sell.
default_wink.png

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

This is a wall hanging I just finished. I need more small items for the sale. It's made with batiks I've been saving. It was tricky to find a pattern I thought they'd work with. The pattern called for 3 different fabrics, but I scrapped the 3rd to fit more in. I call it tranquility.

I'll make more of these.

IMG_5471.jpg

This is one of the four squares. Sure looks strange--not like it'd make anything special.

Close up so you can see these gorgeous colors.

IMG_5474.jpg

I just finished this today! Well--the quilting part. I'm so pelased with how it came out. Kennedy will get it as soon as the binding and hanging sleeve are sewed on.

Kennedyswallhanging.jpg

I copied what the quilter did on my barn quilt.
default_yes.gif
Planks on the barn--shingles on the roof--around the trees, and free motioned the rest. I've been practicing free motion a LOT.

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

I can't wait to give it to Kennedy.

default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
Just beautiful!
default_aktion033.gif

I like to sew but I don't have the patience for quilting. You quilters amaze me.

I have a couple of quilts my grandma and great grandma along with some aunts made. I have a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt top that they made for my mom but never finished. One day I hope to get it done in memory of her.

karla,

They are all lovely. And, you know where you can get more fabric, should your stash get small.
default_wink.png

Karla

Ill take that table runner with the bright blue and green they are all very nice Great job.

First a huge congrats to Justin for making the deans's list. Karla, tell him that Dan ordered a body kit for his Neon and it should be here in two weeks. He is making it into a show car and plans to hit the local circuit with it asap. Even I'm excited about that. Problem is that its so lowered already he can barely get it up the driveway now.

Well I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as Rach has inherited your talent for the creating beautiful things. I have many afgans my mother and aunts made and they are truly a keepsake. Rach has done wonderfully. As always, your quilts are beautiful treasures.

Karla. have you tried the free motion slider? I love mine! The material is so easy to move under the needle it doesn't catch anywhere. Best thing since sliced bread. It's like a piece of 8" x 11" teflon that fits on your machine bed. There are 2 companies out there that sell them. Nancy's Notions and Fons and Porter. The one that has one side a pink color is the best I've found. It stays put on your machine like it has a layer of glue on it. The other goes off side every once in a while.

Beautiful runners!! Please post where the pattern is for the runner.

What a keepsake your daughter made you. Very talented, just like her Mother......

Gini

OH WOW Karla.......at it again....ok, let's face it you are always quilting something lovely! I see your daughter has inherited the sewing/crafter ability.....lovely, lovely afghan! Congrats to your kids for doing

awesome at school, I can see why you and hubby would be proud!!

I still need to make my flip-flop quilt.....with some of my Hawaiian print material........now that the weather is nice, it's hard to stay inside to sew.........

Here you go, Gini! And whoever else wants the directions for the table runners. Gini--I also sent it to you in my reply to your PM.... I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.
default_yes.gif

table runner

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Karla,

Here is the back of the stack and wack quilt. Hopefully you can see the varigated thread. It really looks nice on the backing. Not too sure if it's going to really show up.
default_biggrin.png
Did the link for the slider work?

backofquilt.jpg

Gini--my mouth is hanging open is awe.... you did that with free motion quilting??
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

It is one of the most beautiful designs I've seen--there are so many different things going on!! Did you use a paper pattern or just make it up as you went along??

It's truly stunning work!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

The last two quilts my quilter did for me--and the two coming--are all done with the variegated thread. I just love them!

I'm going back to look at it some more!

Karla. This one was done on the Gammel. My DIL showed me how to freehand with the gammel. I have copied it on my machine quilting with the slider on the bed. I will find the pattern my Dil gave me that she made up and send it to you. She does this freehand on the Gammel and showed me how. It's a beautiful design and covers wonderfully. She is telling me that we all can do everything on our machines if we take the time. She is the one that showed me about the slider. I also got a John Flynn quilt frame for the smaller projects and it is wonderful for keeping everything together and the right tension.

Karla this is an art and believe me you are an artist supreme!!! I absolutely love your work......

I have been playing at this for years. When you have posted your quilts over the time I've been on the forum. You really got me hooked on doing this on the beauty and the satisfaction of the finished quilt.

I'm having surgery on the 6th and DH is setting up everything for me so I can keep my foot up. I have to have it elevated for 4-6 weeks and no weight on it. I made my last trip to the quilt shop yesterday (yeh right!)
default_rolleyes.gif
I have about 6 projects that I plan on doing will sitting on my "B".

Back to the machine quilting. It really is a beautiful design that you can adapt to any size or area. Jeanne started me out by practicing a fleur de leis (sp). You expand from there into the design you see.

Gonna look for the pattern now. Changed my room around some and tried filing. Lets see how great my filing system is!
default_biggrin.png

Edited to add. When you get the pattern. Take an old needle in your machine, no thread. Make copies of the pattern on a copier and then practice on your machine. It really goes quickly and you get the motion while doing it on the paper first. Don't worry about mistakes as you can incorporate them into the pattern.

This is a no mistake machine quilting.

Gini

Oh my gosh, Gini--you're a peach!! If you get tired of sitting and you finish all your projects--let me know and I'll send you a few of mine that need quilting. Just to help the time go faster for you, you know?
default_yes.gif

You're giving me homework??
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back